Unreadable Text

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Mike77

Unreadable Text

Post by Mike77 »

I use X-Apache OpenOffice 1.5.2.0 , is portable and simple , but I have no advanced skills .

I tried to open a file that I have been working for long time and this is what happened :

A window appeared with the name – ASCH Filter Options
The only way to open the file is to click OK , I attached a screenshot of that window .

When the file opens is unreadable , it says - Preformatted Text , and the entire document has - #### , even though I have done nothing .

I made a copy of the file and left a small example of the entire document . Below you find the attachment .

I thank You in advance for any help in restoring the document to a readable format .
Attachments
unreadable text.odt
(6 KiB) Downloaded 222 times
asch filter option.jpg
X-Apache OpenOffice on Windows Xp
Hagar Delest

Re: Unreadable Text

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

Are you sure of the version? Latest is 4.1.1, including the portable one. Any power supply issue or severe crash?

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10