[Solved] Master Documents - Page Breaks before Subdocuments

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here

[Solved] Master Documents - Page Breaks before Subdocuments

Postby Barry Say » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi All,

I am typsetting a series of publications which have been scanned and OCRed. I want to store individual articles separately so they can be mounted individually on the web. I thought it would be a good idea to set it up as a master document with each article in a sub-document. Most articles start at the top of a page so I reckoned that including a page break before each article in the general case would be useful and remove the page break where it was not wanted.

Once I started down this road I found I couldn't get rid of the page break. Examining the content.XML file for a subdocument I found an autostyles section which had paragraph style named P2 which had the page break style, but I can find no way of deleting this except by using a text editor on the content.XML file.

Is this a known issue? Have I missed some documentation?

Barry

I am sorry to leap into the advanced group, but this looks like an advanced topic
Last edited by Barry Say on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice.org.3.1.1
OOO310m19(Build:9420)
openoffice.org.core 1:3.1.1-5ubuntu1
Ubuntu Linux Karmic Koala
Barry Say

Re: Master Documents - Page Breaks before Subdocuments

Postby RoryOF » Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:24 pm

This is not an answer to your question, but ancilliary information:
You might find it of interest to look at
http://www.scribd.com/doc/18188542/Creating-large-documents-with-OpenOfficeorg-Writer
which can be quite helpful on the use of Master Documents.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 18.04.3 (mostly 64 bit version) and very infrequently on Win2K/XP
RoryOF

Postby samanarayan » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:22 am

I am using Master document facility for a while now, and this is what I have learned- All the sub-documents of a master document are automatically rendered in a new page. You do not have to insert a manual page break ever. When i want two such sub-documents on the same page, then i make them into one sub-document before creating a master- this may sound a bit silly, but i guess this is a tweak that works.
samanarayan

Postby Hagar Delest » Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:47 pm

samanarayan wrote:this is what I have learned- All the sub-documents of a master document are automatically rendered in a new page.

:shock:
Never seen that. I just made a quick experiment with 3.2 (RC2) on xubuntu 9.10 and the subdocs flow without page break.
AOO 4.1.7 on Xubuntu 19.10 and 4.1.5 on Windows 10 (with winPenPack port).
Hagar Delest

Postby wbk » Mon May 24, 2010 9:45 pm

Sorry for getting this old thread all the way to the top again. I think samanarayan is refering to "print pages", while hagar is referring to "OOo pages".

In my experience, a newly inserted section in a master document starts at the top of a new "print page", while continuing the page style from the previous page.

Rereading the opening post, I can't clearly state whether the issue is with "print pages" or "OOo pages". There's not been a follow up anymore, so maybe the issue is solved or, anyway, not an issue anymore.
OOo 3.2.0 build 9483 on Kubuntu 10.04 x86-64
wbk

Postby Barry Say » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

Apologies to all for not posting sooner on this one. I found the fix for the problem.

When one sets up a master document to have each sub-document on a separate page, a "custom-style" is introduced into the subdocuments. If one then reverts to documents flowing irrespective of page breaks, this "custom-style" remains in the document but does not appear in any menus that I can find. The problem can be cured by a hand-edit of the content.xml.

This is a poisonous problem. If a sub-document with this feature is used as a template for a subsequent document this custom-style appears in the new document. If this article starts off naturally at the top of a page, no problem. If, as the master document develops, it is required that the article starts half-way down the page, it obstinately appears at the top of the next page.

I now have a work-around but if time allows I will set up a demonstration and register it as a bug.

B
OpenOffice.org.3.1.1
OOO310m19(Build:9420)
openoffice.org.core 1:3.1.1-5ubuntu1
Ubuntu Linux Karmic Koala
Barry Say

Re: [Solved] Master Documents - Page Breaks before Subdocume

Postby ningappak » Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:19 pm

Even I faced the same problem while creating master document.

For section break between sub-documents to be continuous, but in one place it is showing section break (Next page). It solved by following below steps

- Place your mouse point on heading of the master page
- go to page layout
- In layout it is showing next page/ continuous
- below it showing "This Section"
- Change "This Section" option to "whole document".

I think my comment will help you to solve your problem.
OpenOffice 2.4 on Ubuntu 9.04
ningappak

Return to Advanced Uses