Against all documents opened after being restored

Request For Enhancement, User feedback candidates for wiki
felixr

Against all documents opened after being restored

Post by felixr »

Something I really, really don't like is when multiple documents get restored after a shutdown and after the restoration they all get opened, instead of just the document that I had clicked on to open.

It can be very distracting to be reminded of a score of other things when just wanting to do one thing in one document. OpenOffice also feels like one of the slowest applications on the computer (though it is not particularly old), and I don't want to have multiple documents opened without my wish.

And I would prefer it if the program would not need to restore documents that had been normally saved and unchanged at the time when it was somehow closed out of order or too fast at shutdown.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: against all documents opened after being restored

Post by Zizi64 »

Something I really, really don't like is when multiple documents get restored after a shutdown and after the restoration they all get opened, instead of just the document that I had clicked on to open.
Close your opened documents regularly (regular manner), before you shutdown the computer.

OpenOffice also feels like one of the slowest applications on the computer (though it is not particularly old)
Yes it is true: the AOO or LO are not the fastest softwares, but they are the cheapest ones.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Open Office presumes that any file that was open when it crashed may need to be restored, and thus attempts to do so.
If Open Office crashes after a file has been saved, but not changed after that, Open Office does not know that there have been no changes.
I think it would be possible to write a macro to have a document closed automatically upon a save, similar to how Open Office asks to save a file if you go to close it.

As to getting changes to the program, most (if not all) of us are end users, not programmers. If you wish to make a suggestion, you can do so via http://openoffice.apache.org/bug-tracking.html
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

felixr wrote:Something I really, really don't like is when multiple documents get restored after a shutdown and after the restoration they all get opened, instead of just the document that I had clicked on to open.

It can be very distracting to be reminded of a score of other things when just wanting to do one thing in one document. OpenOffice also feels like one of the slowest applications on the computer (though it is not particularly old), and I don't want to have multiple documents opened without my wish.

And I would prefer it if the program would not need to restore documents that had been normally saved and unchanged at the time when it was somehow closed out of order or too fast at shutdown.
If this is happening, you may need to adjust your method of working. Because of the complex nature of OO files (relative to other programs), it takes slightly longer for the computer to write these files to disk. Also, to speed up response of computers things happen behind the scenes - writes to disk may not be executed immediately but stored (in what are called "write" buffers) and then written out in a burst. Similarly, within hard disk drives, the data may be stored then sorted into order and written out in another burst. If one closes OpenOffice and immediately powers off the computer (often by snapping a laptop's lid shut), all this information can be lost, leaving OpenOffice believing that the files are still in use. On its next startup it will atempt to restore these.

It is therefore good practice to close the open files, shut down OpenOffice, and some seconds later, power down the computer. These few seconds needed can be occupied in gathering your papers, or putting on your coat. Any extra few seconds taken in closing down this way will be a lot less than the time needed to restore a damaged or lost file.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS