Can I download OO from somewhere other than Sourceforge?

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
moeburn

Can I download OO from somewhere other than Sourceforge?

Post by moeburn »

OpenOffice seems to be hosting their download on Sourceforge, but Sourceforge is blocked by my adblocker for hosting malicious content. Apparently they have been recently bundling malware into everyone's software, without their permission. I tried clicking on the "altenative download link (binary)" button on the download page, but it just took me to the exact same Sourceforge download link.
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8.1.
acknak

Re: Can I download OO from somewhere other than Sourceforge?

Post by acknak »

It's safe to download from Sourceforge as long as you DO NOT click on ANYTHING on the SF page. If you click the download link on the OO web site, then wait until the download starts automatically, you get a clean download.

The problem is that the automatic download takes a few seconds to start. SF allows ads and the ads may look like a legitimate download button, which people click on before the automatic download starts. Once they click on someone's ad, anything can happen.

If you want a direct link, I posted one here sometime in the last week or so.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
moeburn

Post by moeburn »

acknak wrote:It's safe to download from Sourceforge as long as you DO NOT click on ANYTHING on the SF page. If you click the download link on the OO web site, then wait until the download starts automatically, you get a clean download.

The problem is that the automatic download takes a few seconds to start. SF allows ads and the ads may look like a legitimate download button, which people click on before the automatic download starts. Once they click on someone's ad, anything can happen.

If you want a direct link, I posted one here sometime in the last week or so.
I heard they were also taking other open source projects and bundling the program in something like a "Sourceforge downloader.exe" that required to to uncheck the "Yes, please install tons of crap on my computer!" checkbox before downloading the actual exe you wanted - I guess they haven't done that to OO yet?
OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 8.1.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you download as acknak outlined the files are clean. You can also check the integrity of the downloaded file before installation by the methods outlined in
http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

moeburn wrote:I heard they were also taking other open source projects and bundling the program in something like a "Sourceforge downloader.exe" ...
There are lots of rumors going around; I only know about the OO packages.

Because of the "stealthy" way that the trojans are delivered, it may not be apparent to anyone but a security expert where the malware is actually coming from. The Sourceforge people have been active in removing problem ads/links when reported, but it seems that they can't stay ahead of the bad actors.

As far as I'm aware of, there are no mirror sites for the OO binary packages. I always verify the packages I download.

LibreOffice provides a direct download, as well as torrent access.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23