Beware of fraud site that sells open office

Talk about anything at all....
Scotsgraymouser

Beware of fraud site that sells open office

Post by Scotsgraymouser »

BEWARE OF FRAUD

There is a company that is selling OpenOffice stuff that when you put in openoffice.org you are redirected and makes it appear that Open Office now must be subscribed to. They are called: Advanced Telecom when you are charged, but Sun Systems when you sign up. I have put in a complaint to PayPal (they best for paying online for software as you get all the information and they get none of your financial information). Their email address is: sales@ulimited.com . <sales@ulimited.com>

They sell the 2.2 version which I am now destroying from my system.

BEWARE, BEWARE, BEWARE!!!
Bhikkhu Pesala

Re: Beware of Fraud Site that Sells OpenOffice

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

There is no need to shout. We also need more details about the site. How did you arrive at the site? What is its URL?
Idiot Compassion
LibreOffice 6.0.4 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Beware of fraud site that sells open office

Post by Hagar Delest »

Title modified and thread moved to the General Discussion forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

The trouble is that selling OpenOffice is not illegal as such.

The discussion on this has come a couple of times already, see e.g. here:
People stealing Open Office and making $ with it
Open office org scam?
EBAY: OPEN OFFICE SELLED !!!

KR, phil
OOo 3.0.1 & DEV-3.1 • WinXP pro 32-bit + SP3 + current patches
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

Phil wrote:The trouble is that selling OpenOffice is not illegal as such.
[ ... ]
I guess not, but posing as Sun Systems probably is, unless that's who you are, of course. Looks to me that it's not who they were (searching Sun Systems' website for Open Office revealed nothing).
For the record, Sun systems is different from Sun Microsystems, but still a company that deals in software and office solutions.

Notify both Sun Systems and Sun Microsystems of the incident, with the URL to the "rogues". They both have a Contact us link at their website, and most likely they'll be interested in the info.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
Scotsgraymouser

Post by Scotsgraymouser »

Ok, trying to get the url...to their site....it appears to have "moved" but thank you. All I have is their Email address and they are called Advanced Systems and selling 2.2 Open Office.

Thanks for your input everyone.
Dobbs_Head

Post by Dobbs_Head »

Just found the address again: openoffice.org-suite.com

The name is obviously an attempt to deceive. However, they are not claiming to be Sun, and they don't actually charge for the product. They charge for 'membership'. It's still a scam though, and they paid Google to put their add at the top when you search for 'open office'. There should be something we can do about this, although I'm not sure if they are breaking any laws in a very technical sense.
Last edited by acknak on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edit to remove active hyperlink
OOo 2.4.X on MS Windows Vista
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

It's really quite bad, and probably suitable to indeed deceive people.

What strikes me is that they use the symbols for the individual application, but that they have changed them, and that they use the two birds.
These facts might violate copyright and/or trademark laws, but I am not an expert in this domain.

Does anybody know whom of the "official" OOo people we could contact about this?

Regards,
phil
Looking for OpenOffice-related information? Try the search engine on OpenOfficeNinja - a great tool!
My favorite extension: Alt. Find & Replace for Writer. All you need and much more...
Cambirder
Volunteer

Post by Cambirder »

They do carry a disclaimer.
Disclaimer: This website has no affiliation whatsoever with the owner of these software programs, and provides only links to the software programs. This software may be obtained freely. New computer users should find our services valuable, and a time saver. If you are an advanced computer user, you probably don't need our services. Membership is for unlimited access to our site's resources. We provide an organized website with software links, technical support,
tutorials and step by step guides.
Unfortunately this is in very small print, and to make it really hard to spot the text colour is off white on a white background.
OOo 3.3 on Windows 7 & 3.2.1 on Mint 10
Phylis Sophical

Post by Phylis Sophical »

A friend who was unaware of the free version on the net just ordered one from a sleazy EBay person. I'll try to link to his EBay posting
http: //cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260251409083&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

As you can see, it looks like a commerical box, all sealed and is suppose to enclude all kinds of security software too. He charged her $5.00 for shipping. Here is her comments upon reciept of the package today.
So, a homemade CD ONLY arrived in the mail today. A .52 stamp in place and his return addy listing only a PO Box number and his first name. ALL generated on the computer. I sent him a nasty email and told him that I am completely unwilling to install something on my computer that has NOT been factory sealed and may have a virus. I will keep you updated on his response.
 Edit: Hagar: disabled the link, no need to advertise him and increase his links rating. 
Win 7 pro
LibreOffice 5.1
Phil
Volunteer

Post by Phil »

In fact, I think these type of eBay auctions are a problem that is much worse than the mentioned website.
Because this is real fraud, a company that offers support to users and lets them pay for it is certainly not illegal, or might even be morally right.

However, these type of eBay auctions are beyond the control of OpenOffice.org. There is much fraud going on at eBay anyway, so and it's up to the eBay guys to prevent this as far as possible.

Phylis, in the mentioned case of your friend, she could maybe contact eBay about this - they have implemented solutions for such cases of obvious fraud (delivered item is not as described).

Regards,
phil
ericfelix

Post by ericfelix »

I was just also a victim of the same fraud, thankfully paid via PayPal and am just out about $36 Canadian. I am really P'O'd but there is nothing to be done about it, I thought I was making a donation to OpenOffice. Have called VISA and notified PayPal, but I guess there's nothing that can be done. Hope all will be vigilant about these transactions, I know I will be...
ericfelix

The Actual Fraud Site

Post by ericfelix »

I just checked again and the bad site is at openoffice.org-suite.com/ , so if you really want the old 2.2 version of OpenOffice and pay someone else for it then go there, otherwise just be very careful. I just hate being suckered...
Last edited by acknak on Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disable active link
briandcorbett

Post by briandcorbett »

just realised I got caught with this, downloaded from their site in a hurry and got caught for a support fee:

openoffice.org-suite.com

anyone found a way to get money back - I presume not; are OpenOffice.org taking any action against what is a clear intent to deceive?
Last edited by Villeroy on Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Disabled active link to avoid higher google page rank for that side
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista
allanjq

Post by allanjq »

8 December 2008
I received what appeared to be a genuine offer of an upgrade to version 3 online saying instructions to download would follow.The logos presentation all appeared to be quite genuine I paid by PayPal $49.96 USD = £34.79 pounds sterling. I have contacted my Credit Card company and the amount due has been debited by PayPal, so PayPal haven't yet barred this company. Although my Credit Card Co will not block the transaction, I will have to pay initially but they have said I am covered for this type of transaction and I will be reimbursed by them eventually. I have tried to contact PayPal but trying to do so is a nightmare and I have given up. Surely PayPal by now owe it as a duty to it's customers to block Advance Telecom Inc. although the entry on my card invoice from PayPal will be "ANTISPAMGOL" I wonder if PayPal really care about this company operating through them, it seems they have been warned about them before !!!

Allan
OOo 2.3.X on MS Windows Vista + Microsoft Works