Data not visible in fields in document saved as .docx

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
stonehuntr

Data not visible in fields in document saved as .docx

Post by stonehuntr »

I have a membership application created in MS Word as a .doc which has fields for entering applicant's information. The .doc file was sent to the member, but the member saved it as a .docx. OO 4.1.1 will display the text but does not show the information entered into the fields. I can open it in MS Word 10 and field information is there. Is there a setting in OO that I need to change to have the data show?

I am presenting a program on file extensions to this group next week and I WAS going to say that the .docx problem that we XP users have can be solved with OO. However . . . I can't say that at this point. Would like to know that there is a solution so I can pass it along to my other XP users.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows XP
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: Data not visible in fields in document saved as .docx

Post by Zizi64 »

Converting a document from a filytype to another filetype always will cause problems, because the different filtypes have not 100% compatibility.
The ODF is an international Standard. (The ODF was the first Standard of the XML based office document formats)
The AOO and LO is free for everyone (include the companies, too.)

The binary .doc format of the MS never was standardized.
(((Why people want convert always the sended/received document file into a foreign format?)))
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

MS Office is the one and only software to work with MS Office documents.
4 downloadable software packages by MS to read MS Office documents and convert doc to docx in case of emergency: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=77089
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
stonehuntr

Post by stonehuntr »

Thank you for the replies. I have been using OO to get around the .doc/.docx file situation in the past; was just wondering if it would work here and apparently it will not. So I am going with my original solution which is to e-mail back to the people who send me these files and tell them to save them as .doc so my software can read them! I just hate that MS feels the necessity to change the file format from the original.

I am presenting a program next week to some of these people (and hopefully to others later) to explain that file extensions DO make a difference and they need to learn to be courteous users and observe what their software is doing BEFORE they send the files out. If we could just get the world to go with OO - "what a wonderful world this would be!"
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

stonehuntr wrote:they need to learn to be courteous users
They don't know better. They do what virtually everybody does thinking that this must be the right thing to do. Faster than you may imagine, you will be the discourtous villain, the outsider, the one who wants to enforce new things.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

They don't know any better

I have met a substantial number of MS users who have never heard of a file extension. It is a real joy to try to figure out what is happening on their machines. :(
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04