[Solved+Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
garynd

Re: [Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Post by garynd »

Thanks for that. I'll give it a whirl.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Garynd, Like yourself, I don't understand how to correct this bug. When I send an email from LO I get the windows live mail start logo but then it disappears and I get a failure to send. I do sincerely think that a bug is surmountable but unfortunately it is outside my technical ability. I was hoping that my messages might get through to someone able to take up the cause. I do thank those who have offered their workarounds but I see little in carrying on with these conversations unless someone from OO takes it up.
Open Office 4.2.2 Windows 8.1 X 64
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The bug is in the Microsoft program. It is the Microsoft program which crashes. Get in contact with them. They will be happy to hear that their program crashes on OpenOffice requests and that everybody blames OpenOffice for this.
Regular mail clients can be used to send attachments directly from OpenOffice.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Whatsisname

Re: [Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice Answered

Post by Whatsisname »

Thank you Villeroy, at last a definitive answer. I will get onto Microsoft.
Open Office 4.2.2 Windows 8.1 X 64
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: [Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice Answered

Post by Villeroy »

Whatsisname wrote:Thank you Villeroy, at last a definitive answer. I will get onto Microsoft.
If OpenOffice and LibreOffice are the only programs affected, they won't do anything about it. This bug is highly welcomed, if not intended.

The one and only thing that seems to be broken here is calling MS "Live" mail via OpenOffice menu:File>Send>... which seems to kill "Live" by a valid call (it's valid for other programs). And even if OpenOffice does invalid calls to the Microsoft mailer, the mailer should not crash. Instead it should come up with an error message or something. This is either very sloppy programming or mere psy-op. They take the position that the initial user interaction is done in that other (very much hated) office program so the vast majority of users will blame that program. "Let's go down the train when we get an external call from that unwanted office competitor." This would not be the first case of MS bullying a competitor on the desktops of their clients.

Of course, there are various ways to send arbitrary attachments with arbitrary mail clients.
1) On my system I can drag an arbitrary file icon onto the app icon of my mail program (Thunderbird) and get a new mail window with the dragged file attached.
2) I can start a new mail and drag the file icon into the open window.
3) I can use some button or menu item to fetch one or more attachments through a file picker dialog.

I would expect the same functionality from that "Live" mail thing on a Windows box.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Re: [Solved+Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Post by Bill »

LO has a fix scheduled. A user submitted a fix to AOO in a bug report a year ago, but no fix is scheduled yet.

Issue 123728 - Sending email with Outlook 64 fails with error message
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Are there 2 MS mail clients? MS "Outlook" and "Live"? One is able to handle the error gracefully and the other one crashes?
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There was mail client named 'Outlook Express'. It was part of the older Windows versions. It worked fine with OO.o, AOO, ans LO. The newer Windows versions have not contain that component.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Express

There is/was (?) an email client named 'Outlook' (yes, similar names) from the Microsoft. It is/was a standalone commercial product, it not a part of the operating system. I never had this software.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Outlook

And there is the Windows Live. I never seen that software... :-)
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Outlook is the personal information manager in MS Office. It has an email client. Windows Live Mail is the free email client in the Windows Essentials suite of free programs which can be downloaded from Microsoft. Outlook Express was the free email client last used in Windows XP. It was replaced with Windows Mail in Vista. IIRC, Windows Mail was also discontinued and not included in Windows 7.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
noclue99

Post by noclue99 »

I am using an iMac with iOS 11. My only choice for forwarding anything from Open Office to an email is as a PDF. Then the NEXT DAY, the PDF file is gone from the email. What is going on? I need to forward an obituary written In Open Office to people (old people like myself) who will not see the obituary any other way. If they don't open their email immediately, the obituary will be gone.

Do I need to contact the NSA? :mrgreen:
Neo Office 2.2.3 w/ Mac OS 10.4