please help me save my file

Discuss the word processor
Rafal

please help me save my file

Post by Rafal »

My file doesn't work, all the informations (the words) that is in the file are like that #####
it's very important file that i need the words
how can I get back them?
Attachments
VETENSKAPLIG RAPORT.odt
(26.16 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by floris v on Sun May 24, 2015 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed topic icon used to mark issues; edited subject title for clarity
OpenOffice 3.1 on windows vista
Rafal

Please Help Me

Post by Rafal »

please help me i wrote a text but all the words that I wrote became like that ######
how can I get them back ?????
Last edited by thomasjk on Sun May 24, 2015 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: merged related topics.
OpenOffice 3.1 on windows vista
acknak

Re: please help me

Post by acknak »

Sorry, your file is damaged. There is no text in the file; it is all zeroes.

The only way to recover is to use a backup copy of the document. If there is no backup, you can check in the OO temporary folder, sometimes there is a leftover temp file there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Re: please help me save my file

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers.

Do you really use 3.1 version? It's rather old by now (latest is 4.1.1). Any power supply issue or severe crash?

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
leona_devon

Post by leona_devon »

Just an Idea, try opening the file using rich text format, you will see lots of funny stuff, but you will also see the text that makes up your file, if there is any there. if there is any of your text left, save first in a diff file, then go though it and delete all but your own text, then save that, then go though the file and try and put it all back together, you can also format at this stage, and switch on save a back up file.

Hope this helps leona
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

It may not be too late to try to un-delete some of the temporary files which Writer wrote while you were editing the file, and were then deleted when Writer closed. SEe

Using RECUVA to recover Writer temporary files

Another on RECUVA

These may also be useful:

Using 7-ZIP

Inside an odt file

Hints on how to prevent it happening
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.