[Solved+Issue] Bullets and numbering

Discuss the word processor
picpac

[Solved+Issue] Bullets and numbering

Post by picpac »

hi - is anyone else frustrated by the way the bullets and numbering software is working?

I'm having to waste lots of time undoing the automatic numbering system which imposes itself - I have to go back to Tools/Bullets and Numbering and click on 'Remove' to reset (sometimes have to do this several times!).

For example, if I want to number points like:
3.1.2 etc

as soon as I hit the return key after the 3.1 line the software automatically prints 3.2.

There are other problems which I won't go into now. The OO software doesn't seem to 'learn' in the way that Word does (and I don't want to go back to using MS).

Am I missing something? Do I need to take a tutorial??

Paul
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Solved.
Hagar Delest

Re: Bullets and numbering

Post by Hagar Delest »

Either you turn off the auto numbering (Tools>AutoCorrect, Options tab, then uncheck the Apply numbering - symbol * option) or you use a Numbering style: open the Stylist (F11), display the list styles (right icon in the left group) and double click the style you want. Then, after you've hit the Enter key for a new point, hit the TAB key to change the level. You just have to configure the numbering style.

I were you, I wouldn't use the Bullet/Numbering button in toolbar.

NB: OOo cannot guess that after 3.1 you want 3.1.1; 3.2 is far more logical. Please be realist!

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

I move your thread to the Writer forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
RGB

Post by RGB »

What's wrong with the "promote" and "demote" buttons on the "bullets and numbering" toolbar?
If I have a "3.1", I want a "3.2" following it: I decide when and how change level.
For a tutorial, you can first look at the "numbering" entry on the OOo help.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
Bink

Post by Bink »

Hagar de l'Est wrote:
The problem is with the hard coded numbering style called by the Bullet/Numbering button
Thanks! ... its been driving me nuts for ages. Is the Bullet button hard-coded to a specific Style (if so which one? - I really can't work it out), or is it actually hard coded to format the bullet it creates to a specific font/size/colour that is not user-configurable (this just doesn't seem like a logical thing to do).

I've set up my "List 1" style to format bulleted lists just how I want them, but it really would be useful if I could get the Bullet button to create bulleted lists in this "List 1" format. Is there any way of getting around this (other than just ignoring the button)?
OOo 2.3.X on Ms Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

picpac wrote:For example, if I want to number points like:
3.1.2 etc

as soon as I hit the return key after the 3.1 line the software automatically prints 3.2.
That's what it should do. Pressing Return while in a numbered list starts a new list item at the same level in the list. It's the user's responsibility to change the level if a different level is required. In this case, simply press the Tab key immediately after pressing Return. That demotes the new list item one level. Pressing Shift+Tab promotes the list item one level.