Licensing extensions and templates?

Discussions about using 3rd party extension with OpenOffice.org
Irvine_Himself

Licensing extensions and templates?

Post by Irvine_Himself »

I have a few templates that are ready for publication, and am working on a full extension. The problem is, I am not sure about license compatibility now that OpenOffice has moved to the Apache License. (Currently, the various FAQ's are either hopelessly out of date or refer specifically to submitting source code.)

For example
Should a non-coding template be licensed under creative commons, the GNU document license or the GPL family of licenses?
A similar question arises about using the GPL family of licenses with extensions?

Irvine
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows Xp
acknak

Re: Licensing extensions and templates?

Post by acknak »

As far as I understand, it's your work, you can choose any license terms you want.

Extensions are separate from the main work and do not interact with it from a licensing perspective.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Irvine_Himself

Post by Irvine_Himself »

There are technical considerations. The main one being whether the GPL licensed code links to non-GPL licensed code through static or dynamic linking.

Although I think the quoted text is specifically referring to source code internal to OpenOffice, as oppose to the code in an extension, it states at https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html
Which licenses may NOT be included within Apache products?

Binary Code License (BCL)
Special exceptions to the GNU GPL (e.g. GNU Classpath)
GNU GPL 1, 2,
GNU LGPL 2, 2.1, 3
Affero GPL 3
NPL 1.0/NPL 1.1
QPL
Sleepycat License
Microsoft Limited Public License
Code Project Open License (CPOL)
Also, licensing a non-coding template as GPL seems iffy to me, yet I am unsure of a suitable free license. My main requirements of such a license are:

1) It should include a general waiver of any liability by me to the end user
2) It protects my rights to be identified as the original creator.

Irvine
acknak

Post by acknak »

If you want a solid opinion, it's best to ask on the Apache legal mailing list.

But again, as far as I know, one of the reasons the extension mechanism was added to OO was so that extensions would be legally separate from the core software and its license.

Is Creative Commons a possibility? Sounds like CC-BY might fit your requirements, although I don't know if it includes a disclaimer.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Irvine_Himself

Post by Irvine_Himself »

I checked and it doesn't. This is particularly problematic for my spreadsheet templates that calculate timelines, including one that is set up allow a user to define a "Fantasy Calendar" and another, (separate,) spreadsheet template that does all the animation calculations I've ever needed when making Blender animations and games.