[Solved+Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Whatsisname

[Solved+Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Post by Whatsisname »

I know that it is not possible to send Open Office work as an email when one is using a web based email programme such as Windows Live Mail. The only work around is to save the doc and then send it as an attachment from within, say, Live Mail. Is there any move afoot by Open Office to overcome the reluctance of senddoc.exe to link to Live Mail rather than getting the "senddoc.exe has stopped working". There seems to be an issue with Open Office picking up on the email configuration and finding Live Mail as the default programme.
I hope that somebody at Open Office can overcome this problem, please let us know what the problem really is and can it be corrected and included into an update? I also wonder if Microsoft is protecting it's own Office!
Last edited by Whatsisname on Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.2.2 Windows 8.1 X 64
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: cant send emails from Open Office

Post by Zizi64 »

Install and use the free Thunderbird email client.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Yes, but that then means I lose my email three way interconnections using ipad from wifi hot spots and smart phone direct from the server, also emails sent from the latter two automatically showing up on the computer. So, back to my original question of overcoming the web based impasse. I am also locked in to a bundle with TV etc.
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

Whatsisname wrote:Yes, but that then means I lose my email three way interconnections using ipad from wifi hot spots and smart phone direct from the server, also emails sent from the latter two automatically showing up on the computer. So, back to my original question of overcoming the web based impasse. I am also locked in to a bundle with TV etc.
You wouldn't lose any of that if you set up a mail client to connect via IMAP.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

OK thanks for that Ed and Zizi64,
Unfortunate timing as I have become accustomed and fairly happy after my struggle from XP and IMAP. OO

Can anyone answer for Open Office taking up the conversation viz a viz integrating OO with web based email apps?
asbaker

Re: Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Post by asbaker »

It doesn't even seem to work with the (non-web) email CLIENT Windows Live Mail that is a program on my Windows 7 computer. I create and email multiple docs a day and would prefer to send directly from OO rather than start with the email program and do the attachments. Despite following directions to change default programs from Microsoft's default to saying it is Windows Live Mail, I get the message that senddoc has stopped working and also a message about not having an installed email program. Is Libre even working on this or is it a lost cause?
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows XP / vista
Bill
Volunteer

Re: Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Post by Bill »

It doesn't appear that anyone is working on this in OpenOffice.

Issue 115552 - Unable to use Windows Live Mail 2011 to send e-mail

A fix is supposed to be available in LibreOffice 4.5.0.

Bug 43368 - Windows Live Mail 2011 not detected as email client for "Send as e-mail attachment"
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
asbaker

Re: [Issue] Can't send emails from OpenOffice

Post by asbaker »

Thank you for the info. I will look for the new version when it comes out.
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

asbaker:
Despite following directions to change default programs from Microsoft's default to saying it is Windows Live Mail
To send emails from AOO/LO on windows you need to install a third party email client.

You can use the .NET/C# scripting language to access the dynamic link libraries (.dll)
via com to send emails via a macro assigned to the toolbar.

Does this help?

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Hmm nice idea Greengiant224, of course why didn't I think of that.
"To send emails from AOO/LO on windows you need to install a third party email client.
and use the .NET/C# scripting language to access the dynamic link libraries (.dll)
via com to send emails via a macro assigned to the toolbar."
All I can say is what on earth does that mean? Perhaps it is something that the whiz kids at LO can incorporate into making those button pushes of mine work!
Many thanks for your technical input. I once had a car mechanic who tried to bankrupt me with such talk. LOL
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

Your signature is:
There is not such version of OpenOffice today.

The latest versions of the free and open source office suites are:

Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
LibreOffice 4.3.7 (Still)
LibreOffice 4.4.3 (Fresh)
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Hi Zizi64,
Please excuse my typing error and well spotted. I have Version: 4.4.2.2
Build ID: c4c7d32d0d49397cad38d62472b0bc8acff48dd6
Locale: en_GB Win8.1 X 64
I see from "Bill" (above)that 4.5.0 might address the issue and await confirmation after the update is released.
I also see that a 5.0 beta is actively being tested, can I assume that someone will correct this shortcoming, as mentioned at the start of this thread, or at least have it in mind?
That would be enough of an outcome to make my bringing this problem to your attention worthwhile.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

I have Version: 4.4.2.2
In this case you are using LIBREOFFICE, but not OpenOffice.

(This is important information, because there are some differences between AOO and LO)
Greengiant224

Post by Greengiant224 »

Whatsisname:
"To send emails from AOO/LO on windows you need to install a third party email client.
and use the .NET/C# scripting language to access the dynamic link libraries (.dll)
via com to send emails via a macro assigned to the toolbar."
Did you assimilate the information.
The easy way:
To send emails from AOO/LO on windows you need to install a third party email client.
OR
The hard way (you need to have knowledge of scripting languages)
You can use the .NET/C# scripting language to access the dynamic link libraries (.dll)

The choice is yours.
Whatsisname:
I once had a car mechanic who tried to bankrupt me with such talk. LOL
There is no one here who wants to bankrupt you with FREE open source software and advice.

Greengiant224

Win 7, Portable AOO 4.1.14, LibreOffice 6.2, 7.4.5 & 7.6.1 (Java 1.7.81 & 1.8.0_281) utilising HSQL 1.8.10 & 2.4.*, MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
+ Blood, Sweat and Tears (Application, Determination and Perseverance)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

As I wrote in my first post: One of the free e-mail clients is the Thunderbird.

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/download
asbaker

Post by asbaker »

Isn't the downloaded Windows Live Mail program considered Third Party? It is NOT the web program. (I use or help people on about 10 computers from XP up to 8.1 between our different locations and laptops so I would not be trying a new email program). And I am afraid I do not know scripting language and, at age 68, I probably would not absorb new lessons. I did find a registry edit to make Word 2007 Enterprise email my document (at least for now) so I will wait for the next OO version (I am using Libre but also have the installer for Apache) to hopefully have email working.

Thanks for all comments. Some day I may be able to return the favor.

Greengiant224 wrote:
asbaker:
Despite following directions to change default programs from Microsoft's default to saying it is Windows Live Mail

Does this help?

Greengiant224
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

asbaker wrote:Isn't the downloaded Windows Live Mail program considered Third Party?
Microsoft works very hard to be incompatible to anything which is not under the control of Microsoft. Microsoft is a 3rd party by all means. Whenever there is a relation between you and some software product, there is always MS as a third party until you leave behind their most awkward Windows operating system.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

(I use or help people on about 10 computers from XP up to 8.1
On Windows XP you can use the built-in e-mail client, named Outlook Express. It works fine with Apache OpenOffice or LibreOffice.
(Do not confuse it with the web based e-mail service named Outlook.)

But the Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 have not contain a real email client (like the Outlook Express)
asbaker

Post by asbaker »

OK - Why does Microsoft insist on changing things without considering its loyal and long-time users? (Rant only - no answers needed :)
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

C'est la vie.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

asbaker wrote:OK - Why does Microsoft insist on changing things without considering its loyal and long-time users? (Rant only - no answers needed :)
Why? This is hardly by accident. They want to steer the majority of non-techie users into certain directions.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Gentlemen,
For whatever profligate reasons Microsoft might have for, perhaps, a denial of allowing Apache, Libre or OO from direct email service which might be considered a fair business position. We can help to reverse that mind-set by bringing to their attention that it does not go unnoticed and that they should
look to the future by not disenchanting their revenue stream.

However, we have not exhausted asking for a definitive answer from programmers more savvy than ourselves in the free thinking OO organisations;

Have moves been made looking to fix it?
Can you fix it?
Have you found it impossible to fix?
Have you talked to Microsoft if you need to work together to fix it and if so have they agreed a fix is possible?

Will somebody at the top please answer my plea, the request for this information has been my main thrust throughout.
Kindest regards to all.
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

There is a simple, clear solution: the Thunderbird email client. It is a free, opensource software: just download, install, and use it.

That software can handle more than one email accounts.
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Please don't duck the questions. A work-around, whilst laudable, is not the answer I and lots of others are looking for.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Often questions are asked to which the answer is not as expected.
"Ah, what a dusty answer gets the soul when hot for certainties in this our life" [George Meredith (1828-1909), 'Modern Love' ]

A workaround is the best we can do for you at present.

If you know of another application, even if commercial, that does what you require, save every one's time and use it. In all cases you have to adapt to the limitations of the application you decide to use.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

My position is overrun. Thank you all for your inputs and hopefully we might win the war!
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Crybabies don't win any wars. Coders do.
Whatsisname

Post by Whatsisname »

Tut Tut
garynd

Post by garynd »

Just joined Forum and not a computer whizz so bear with me ! Read the previous comments. If I download Thunderbird, then compose document on OO, press 'send as email', document will be sent ? Just like that ? Seems suspiciously simple to a learner like me !
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1
Zizi64
Volunteer

Post by Zizi64 »

If I download Thunderbird, then compose document on OO, press 'send as email', document will be sent ?
The Thunderbird will be launched automaticaly, and will be generated a new message, attached the actual LO/AOO document.
You need fill the email address(es) of the recipient(s), and then click on the "Send" button manually.

But we (at my company) have wrote some macro routines to fill recipient data based on "Document properties" (the properties is filled in from an address-book database), more subroutines for converting document to .pdf format, and then attaching the converted file to the email, automatically. In this case is enough to check the address data in the pop-uped Thunderbird, and then just a click to send the mail.

...And you can write macro to send the (original ODF or the converted .pdf) document directly, in "silent mode": the Thunderbird will be work invisible (without pop-up of the user interface of the Thunderbird).