Need help converting Excel macros to OpenOffice Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
elitomlinson

Need help converting Excel macros to OpenOffice Calc

Post by elitomlinson »

The US Federal Reserve has banks using a macro-laden Excel spreadsheet for submitting Canadian Cash Letters.

http://www.frbservices.org/files/forms/ ... nadian.xls

I would love to convert this spreadsheet to work in Open Office but do not have the expertise. I am looking for help and am willing to pay if the cost is reasonable.

- Eli
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Need help converting Excel macros to OpenOffice Calc

Post by Villeroy »

Stay with Excel. Anything else would be hazardous, expensive and frustrating. Macros cause a vendor lock-in. Why exchange one lock-in with another?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
elitomlinson

Post by elitomlinson »

I agree with your statement completely:

Macros cause a vendor lock-in. Why exchange one lock-in with another?

Internally we do not use Macros in order to maintain portability between applications. However, you can see that this is a form required for our business that is provided by the Federal Reserve. For this one exception I would prefer to have an Open Office solution rather than purchase 20+ licenses of Microsoft Excel.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

elitomlinson wrote:I am looking for help
Some hints here: [Solved] OO 2.4 Calc Compatibility problem with MS Excel
elitomlinson wrote:am willing to pay if the cost is reasonable.
See in that section of the forum: Paid support.

Good luck.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Internally we do not use Macros in order to maintain portability between applications.
Well, it's in the nature of macros to be compatible with the underlying application only (Excel in this particular case). Furthermore, Excel is compatible with the Windows operating system only. When someone decided to write a particular software as Excel macro, he or she decided to use Excel, assuming that Excel is "standard" for the time running that macro.
I would love to convert this spreadsheet to work in Open Office but do not have the expertise.
You need the expertise to understand every detail of the VBA program in Excel before you can start rewriting a similar thing for another application.
Is this the only thing that binds you to MSOffice? Then it may be reasonable to pay someone for the transition.
The US Federal Reserve has banks using a macro-laden Excel spreadsheet for submitting Canadian Cash Letters.
What tells you that they will accept your self-made Calc sheets with StarBasic macros?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
elitomlinson

Post by elitomlinson »

I will pursue this in the Paid Support forum.
What tells you that they will accept your self-made Calc sheets with StarBasic macros?
Because they are only looking for the printed output from the spreadsheet.