Overwritten/Highlighted Text

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
fangblade386

Overwritten/Highlighted Text

Post by fangblade386 »

Hello everyone,

I made an account here at Open Office Forums specifically for this issue, and it has had me flustered for a while :crazy: :knock:

Whenever I type text, it appears normally. Then, when I try to highlight it and erase it, not only does the highlight stay, but the words also stay.
So in this below picture, I have selected text, and then i deleted it using the backspace button (this also occurs in OpenOffice Writer's font choosing menus and even when I had LibreOffice prior to installing OO).
When I type "John", and then select it for deletion and delete it
When I type "John", and then select it for deletion and delete it
Then, after it is deleted, the stuff is still there! Only, its kind of like a "ghost". I can not touch it, and its like a background layer or maybe a background decoration, even.
When I try to type stuff in its place, it gets overwritten.
After I delete, I try to type "Alexander" in its place
After I delete, I try to type "Alexander" in its place
If someone could help me, it'd be greatly appreciated
OpenOffice 4.1.1
Linux Mint 17.1 (Cinnamon x86_64) "Rebecca"
RoryOF

Re: Overwritten/Highlighted Text

Post by RoryOF »

Outside of OpenOffice, does typing work correctly in any other application - say the default system text editor; this might be Pluma or gedit - I'm not certain; it should be on the accessories group.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

I'm using the same OS, and AOO is working normally as was LO. What desktop theme are you using in Mint? Have you tried switching to the default theme to see if it may be causing the problem?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

If it's any consolation, I see the same problem running OO 4.0.1 on Fedora. OO 4.1.1 works just fine in the same environment though, and even 4.0.1 works fine in the actual applications (only typing in dialog windows is affected) so I haven't investigated the problem. To be honest, I'm not even sure how to investigate; but at least you know you're not seeing things ;-)
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I've just tried typing in a Find and Replace window on Xubuntu 15.04 (beta2) - I typed Alexander, deleted with the backspace, then typed Fred. Nothing sourious showed up.
fangblade386

Post by fangblade386 »

RoryOF wrote:Outside of OpenOffice, does typing work correctly in any other application - say the default system text editor; this might be Pluma or gedit - I'm not certain; it should be on the accessories group.
Yes, everything works 100% fine. Before I got OpenOffice, I used to have LibreOffice (completely purged from my system now). It had the SAME, EXACT problem. But other than that, I have never faced this issue before.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
fangblade386

Post by fangblade386 »

RoryOF wrote:I've just tried typing in a Find and Replace window on Xubuntu 15.04 (beta2) - I typed Alexander, deleted with the backspace, then typed Fred. Nothing sourious showed up.
I'm not sure, but maybe because you're using Xubuntu, which is different from Linux Mint.
OpenOffice 4.1.1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This is part of faultfinding - we know Xubuntu (and probably but not definitely all Ubuntus) is OK, Linux Mint and Fedora are not.