Sync External Database to Local Tables

dBase, Calc, CSV, MS ACCESS, MySQL, PostgrSQL, OTHER
leadtael

Sync External Database to Local Tables

Post by leadtael »

I am currently using Base with an hsql local database file setup. I want to be able to sync the data from/to the local database files to an external mysql source. The reason for this is that I have need for the database to be local because it is used in locations that are remote and there is no network connectivity, but I'd like to have the ability to open it up and sync the database down, since there are multiple people who use this database. I essentially just want to cache the database for offline use.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I could accomplish this?

Thanks for any help!
OpenOffice 4.4.1.2 on Windows 8
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Sync External Database to Local Tables

Post by Villeroy »

This might be possible running your own MySQL server on localhost. I think that OpenOffice can not contribute anything here.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
DACM
Volunteer

Re: Sync External Database to Local Tables

Post by DACM »

leadtael wrote:I am currently using Base with an hsql local database file setup. I want to be able to sync the data from/to the local database files to an external mysql source.

I essentially just want to cache the database for offline use.
Offline data synchronization among multiple users is extremely complex, particularly if both online and offline users could potentially update the same data. Further migration of that data between two DBMS's (HSQL and MySQL) adds another layer of complexity to the solution.

But if you can live with non-concurrent, synchronous updates, using only one DBMS, then the solution becomes quite easy. For instance, you could move your HSQL database into a cloud folder (Dropbox, Google Drive, Spideroak, etc.) for both offline access and automatic synchronization when online. 'Synchronization' is actually file 'replacement' in this scenario, but older versions of the database are accessible. Users would have to agree not to 'update' the database simultaneously. This could be accomplished through a group message such as "Dan is updating the database. Please standby."

And note, you can run a 'split HSQl database' from a cloud folder on multiple computers when using a 'portable' solution.
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria