Files open in Writer instead of Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
twstone

Files open in Writer instead of Calc

Post by twstone »

I am having the same problem. When I attempt to open the attached file, I get a popup window "Ascii Filter Options" and when I click that I get 9 pages of garbage. The file worked as of last week.
I have attempted to open the file both from the OO first page 'open file' and by starting a new spreadsheet and then opening it from there.
Please help! I am my group's treasurer and tis spreadsheet is our financial record for several years.
Attachments
WOGBudgetSheet.ods
(41.97 KiB) Downloaded 162 times
Open Office version is 4.1.1. OS is Windows 8.1 and is up to date. Signature???
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: .xls/.ods-files open in Writer instead of Calc

Post by thomasjk »

twstone:
Your file is filled with ############ which means its corrupted beyond recovery. Hopefully you have backups to recover from. Look in the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426 for a Wgobudgetsheet.bak.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Re: Files open in Writer instead of Calc

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .ods and cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files still there.

It often happens when there is a power cut or a crash when saving.
If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10