[Solved] XY scatter chart - "Data Ranges" option now missing

Discuss the spreadsheet application
dculp

[Solved] XY scatter chart - "Data Ranges" option now missing

Post by dculp »

I deleted (Ctrl-X) an XY scatter chart and then pasted it to a new location in the same sheet. Now, when I right click on the chart curve there is no option for "Data Ranges" but instead an option "Chart Data Table". How can I get the "Data Ranges" option back so that I can select the XY data from a sheet?
Open Office 4.4.1
Windows 7 X64

Thanks,
Don C.
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
acknak

Re: XY scatter chart - "Data Ranges" option now missing

Post by acknak »

It's a known problem: you can safely move a chart by drag and drop but not through the clipboard.

Edit > Undo is the simplest way to fix it, if you see the problem soon enough.

You can connect a chart to a range of cells by selecting the cells, then click and drag the selected cells onto the chart. You may have to re-configure some aspects of the chart.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
dculp

Post by dculp »

Unfortunately its much too late to Undo (too many other changes already made).
My data cells are in a separate sheet from the chart. How can I drag these cells onto the chart?
acknak

Post by acknak »

It's a bit clumsy but it works the same as any drag and drop.

Click on the selected cells
When you see the mouse cursor change to the drag/drop form, drag the mouse onto the tab for the other sheet. After a second there, Calc will switch to the other sheet and you can continue the drag onto the chart.

It can be a challenge, since you have to keep holding the mouse button, moving the mouse, and stuff on the screen is moving and changing as you do that. But it does work.

If that process gives too much trouble, you can use Window > New Window to see the sheet with the chart in a second window, then drag/drop the cell range onto the chart in the other window.
Charlie Young
Volunteer

Post by Charlie Young »

dculp wrote:Unfortunately its much too late to Undo (too many other changes already made).
My data cells are in a separate sheet from the chart. How can I drag these cells onto the chart?
It's a little tricky, but you can drag the range down over the sheet tabs and get to the destination sheet.
 Edit: Slow 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1
Windows XP
dculp

Post by dculp »

I select the cells by dragging the arrow-cursor over them at which time they turn blue. However, at that point the cursor doesn't change shape (still the arrow cursor), whether the cursor is inside or outside the selected cells.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Select the cells (release the mouse)
Then click on the selected (blue) area and hold for a second. Move the mouse slightly: you should see the cursor change at this point.
Keep holding the mouse button and start the drag/drop ...
dculp

Post by dculp »

Yes, this works if the data cells are in two adjacent columns. However, it doesn't seem to work if the cells aren't in adjacent columns (just get an error beep when I try to drag).
acknak

Post by acknak »

Right. I think in that case you'll have to drag a rectangular area and then edit the data ranges to remove the parts you don't want.
dculp

Post by dculp »

OK. Thanks.
FlyMacs

Re: [Solved] XY scatter chart - "Data Ranges" option now mis

Post by FlyMacs »

This is a real nuisance! I often need to change data ranges in my charts, and this automatic feature screws me up to the point that when I run into the issue, I have to delete the chart and start over. It seems I can edit for a while, then suddenly the format changes and the stupid 'Data Table" shows up. What good is it other than to tell me what I already know?

Why cannot we have a preference that allows the 'data range' feature to be maintained on copy/paste.

This is unresolved Bugzilla issue https://bz.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=122897
OpenOffice 4.1.3 with MacOS 10.12.5 (16F73)
Zizi64
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] XY scatter chart - "Data Ranges" option now mis

Post by Zizi64 »

This function works fine for me in my LibreOffice 4.4.7 and LibreOffice 5.3.6 but not work in my AOO 4.1.3.
Tibor Kovacs, Hungary; LO7.5.8 /Win7-10 x64Prof.
PortableApps/winPenPack: LO3.3.0-7.6.2;AOO4.1.14
Please, edit the initial post in the topic: add the word [Solved] at the beginning of the subject line - if your problem has been solved.