Can't make any morningstar functions work with SMF extension

Discuss the spreadsheet application
gav_sharma

Can't make any morningstar functions work with SMF extension

Post by gav_sharma »

I am having problems with making the SMF extension work in Libre Office

http://extensions.libreoffice.org/exten ... lpha/0.6.4

I have Windows 7 64 bit + LibreOffice 4.4.1 and LibreOffice 4.3.6 installed. I tried both v6.4 and v6.3 of the sfm extension with both the Libreoffice version. In none of the case I was able to make the example Morningstar files. Yahoo works for all versions and I am able to update the data but all I see is NMS or NYQ in the data column
Libre Office 4.4.1 and Win 7 64 bit
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Can't make any morningstar functions work with SMF exten

Post by Villeroy »

I'm sure that my 0.6.2 version used to work well 3 weeks ago. But now the same version returns NMS or NYQ just as you describe. Something has must have changed on the site which delivers the data.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
madsailor

Post by madsailor »

gav_sharma,
The new version 0.7.0 is up which should fix the issue. Thanks for reporting your issue on Github, as I saw that before finding your post here, and for your extensive multi-version testing.
LibreOffice 4.2.7.2 on Ubuntu 14.04
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I can't install SMF on OpenOffice nor LibreOffice 3 because some method can't be found. Does your version 0.7 depend on Python 3?
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
madsailor

Post by madsailor »

Yes, migrated to Python 3 with the 0.6.2 release. I'm surprised you haven't had an issue until now.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

The top comment on https://docs.python.org/2/library/urlli ... ule-urllib describes the compatibility problem. When installing the extension, I get "Couldn't load file:///<user profile>/uno_packages/.../SMF.oxt/smf.py for reason type urllib.Request.request is unknown. This may be the only problem or only the first.
madsailor

Post by madsailor »

Villeroy,
There are going to be multiple problems trying to run SMF with Python 2.x. As of Libreoffice 4.0 the bundled version of Python was bumped from 2.6 to 3.3 as noted at http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Rele ... PI_Changes, so there is not much reason to support python 2.x. That being said, I have modified a version that you can find herehttps://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8TbA- ... sp=sharing that fixes the specific error you referenced when running under Python 2.x. If you would like to try this version and report the next set of errors here, we can troubleshoot together, as even the python uno bindings for 2.x have been deprecated on Ubuntu 14.04 (my development environment).
Backward-compatibility bug squashing aside, I would recommend that everyone upgrade to LO 4.x + since this will update Python to 3.3+ and avoid the issue altogether.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

All in all, I don't like LibreOffice. The compatibility version works for me. This is a candidate for the the OpenOffice extention site.
marcsfox

Post by marcsfox »

Hi, would love to use the SMF function on Mac. Unfortunately, I am unable to install the SMF.oxt in LibreOffice. when I click add extension from my download folder I get the following error message, any step-by-step help for those of use less savvy would be very much appreciated!

(com.sun.star.uno.RuntimeException) { { Message = "<class 'FileNotFoundError'>: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/Users/moshe/Library/Application Support/LibreOffice/4/user/uno_packages/cache/uno_packages/lu39znuh.tmp_/SMF%20(2).oxt/smf.py', traceback follows\X000a /Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/pythonloader.py:94 in function getModuleFromUrl() [fileHandle = open( filename, encoding='utf_8' )]\X000a /Applications/LibreOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/pythonloader.py:149 in function writeRegistryInfo() [mod = self.getModuleFromUrl( locationUrl )]\X000a\X000a", Context = (com.sun.star.uno.XInterface) @0 } }
LibreOffice 4.3.0.4 on Mac OS X 10.9
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Can you access any Python macros under Tools>Macros>Organize>Python...? Are there any libraries in the LibreOffice container? Open a Writer document and run the HelloWorld macro. It should write "Hello World (in Python)" into the current Writer document.