[Solved] Removing "statue" from base standard dictionary

Discuss the word processor
xger

[Solved] Removing "statue" from base standard dictionary

Post by xger »

I am currently a law student and often in writing have to discuss statutes. Because I will rarely ever use 'statue' I would like to remove it from the base dictionary. I know how to edit the added words, but not a word that comes as a default.

I attempted to search down a solution on google but was unable to. I will continue my search but I thought in the meantime I would ask here.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by xger on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
OpenOffice 4 on Windows 7
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Removing "statue" from base standard dictionary

Post by John_Ha »

Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of ways to do what you want. Perhaps the simplest is to edit the word list of recognised words in the dictionary. I use the English GB dictionary which is at C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\OpenOffice\4\user\uno_packages\cache\uno_packages\sv1glr1s.tmp_\dict-en.oxt\en_GB.dic in W7. Edit ...\en_GB.dic with Notepad, go to line 44,971 where you will find " statue /MSD" This is statue and all the variants derived from it.

The best way to "delete" it is to leave it, but change it minimally to something like " statueaa /MSD". This means that statue is no longer recognised as a word although, of course, statueaa is recognised as spelled correctly. By changing it to something you will never use, it "deletes" it without messing up the file structure or number of words. Be very careful that the altered word is still in alphabetical order or you will mess up the file structure. Note how the file appears to have the number of entries as its first line - don't mess that up!

Caveat alterer - this is not a supported change, but it will work. Redo it every time you update the dictionary.

You could also do a Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Replace so when you type "statue" it is changed to "statute".

And, just to be sure, you could always Edit > Find and Replace > type in statue > Find All. It does what it says on the tin.

If this solves the problem, please edit your original post title to [Solved].
Last edited by John_Ha on Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
xger

Post by xger »

First, thanks for the fast and helpful reply. That solved the issue for "statute". While I was changing statue, I thought I would change 'pubic' as well. This change did not work the same for pubic as it was a derivation of another word. How would I change derivatives of other words to accomplish the same?
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

I don't know what the attributes following the " / " do so it's a bit of a guess. Do the same to all the words from which pubic is likely to be derived or, preferably, do them one at a time and try after each so you affect the minimum. Look at pub/MWSDG, pubertal, puberty/MS, pubes, pubescence/KS, pubescent/K and pubis/M. The penalty for getting it wrong is not high - you miss a spelling error. Note how the file appears to have the number of entries as its first line - don't mess that up!

Or use AutoCorrect as described above - change pubic to zzzzzz - you will quickly spot that!

If you are typing legal documents you might find Word Completion useful - see Help or the Writer Manual for full details

If this solves the problem, please edit your original post title to [Solved].

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
xger

Post by xger »

Thanks for the help.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: [Solved]Removing "statue" from base standard dictionary

Post by John_Ha »

John_Ha wrote:I don't know what the attributes following the " / " do so it's a bit of a guess
I followed the link on the English dictionaries for Apache OpenOffice page to Proofing Tool GUI which explains what the attributes do.