New to Base

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
tsaico

New to Base

Post by tsaico »

I am kicking the tires here, and have no experience with Base or any OO suites for that matter
In any case my setup is a single table that has 10 fields total. More or less all true false statements and a few are dates, with one being "notes" that I want to enter some comments. When I go to reports wizard, I include all my columns, but they are all on one long line, making the notes section really hard to read. I am trying to put the notes in a second row under the other information in one long cell as long as the rest of the columns. When I go to add a field, it seem to let me do it, but when I run the report, it show the text, not the actual data, or it only shows that text and I get nothing on my page than the static title of the column I am trying to add.
openOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 2008r2 / Windows 7 64ibt
F3K Total
Volunteer

Re: New to Base

Post by F3K Total »

Hi,
the shipped report builder supports only "table-design". Try to use the Oracle Report Builder extension.
R
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
tsaico

Post by tsaico »

Wow, this is exactly what I needed!

In my text field that is for notes, is there any way for it autosize, based on the amount text typed in there?
openOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 2008r2 / Windows 7 64ibt
F3K Total
Volunteer

Post by F3K Total »

No!
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

tsaico wrote:Wow, this is exactly what I needed!

In my text field that is for notes, is there any way for it autosize, based on the amount text typed in there?
This is what Writer's mail merge fields do. While editing a Writer document, you can open the data source window (hit F4), pick the right query or table from your database and drag column headers into the document. If you don't see your database in the database window, register your database under menu:Tools>Options>Base>Databases...
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
longi

Post by longi »

Hi!
I guess you don't need more answers, because Oracle Report Builder is good for you. However I want to answer you because it is posible to manipulate texts in 'normal' reports, and also you can get results like mail merge. Have a look!
Ah!, sorry because of my English, but I think it is possible to understand things I wrote into the database made as examples.
Long texts are made in Spanish, but they are from Wikipedia. They are no important (some nosense), the important is the behaviour of fields and texts.

Merry Christmas!
Attachments
REPORTING.7z
(114.96 KiB) Downloaded 341 times
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 7
LibreOffice 6.0.1 on Windows10
jorgie

Post by jorgie »

With lots of help from this forum I finally have my database set up to report my Glucose numbers to my Doctor. In the past I have faxed them to him using Alpha 5.
What I need now is a way to report a range of reports either by date or by record number. Is that possible in Open Office?
open office 4.1
longi

Post by longi »

Hi!
Do you need a report based in a range of dates?
You have to create a Query or a SQL with parameters. Then you have to make a report based on it.

I have to say sorry if I didn't understand properly, but if I understood well, it is a simple step. There are lots of examples in the forum.

Bye!
jorgie

Post by jorgie »

Yes, the range could be either by date or by record number. I use the reports in multiple ways.
open office 4.1
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

I think the most easy method is:
Make a query in wich you show the data in the good order. I mean field order and sort order. Store the query.
Then make an new empty text document.
Pres F4: now you see the datasource.
Select the query in the datasource. You can now filter and sort again the query so you have exact the data you want have.

Type in some text and drag from the datasource alle the records you need in your document.
Now you can send it to the some one.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
longi

Post by longi »

Hi!
Yes, the easiest system is using Mail merge. However, I am a bit strange person, and I prefer to have all things in the same program (base in this case), so, if you want to complicate your life, you have one previous example in a base I've attached (REPORTING7). You could create a report which can be used to pass through all records, and each one could be a letter for each person ( The same fuctinon than Mail-merge, but more complex ).
The button in the form to launch the macro says: "Short texts and LongVarChar in textfields.Can Grow".
Also you have the other button:"Short texts and LongVarChar out of textfields.Can Grow". In this case you have a result similar to Mail Merge, including all in a text without difference between textfields and 'text-ground' (the text wrote out of the text fields).
This report should be based in the query with parameters that you have done before.

It is only one other way to work.

Anyway!, Mail Merge is the easiest.

Bye! :super:
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

You have everything in one program. OpenOffice is one single program to open text documents, spreadsheets, vector graphics, presentations and databases. Let the the taskmanager kill the soffice process and all types of documents will be killed with that process. Any time you open a Base form or Base report, you open a Writer document anyway.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
jorgie

Post by jorgie »

I guess I'm not being clear on what I'm trying to do. Each day on a form with the day and the date I record 4 and sometimes 7 blood glucose tests. Once a week and two others at once a month I fax the results of the tests to my Doctor. So for one Doctor it's 7 forms at a time and to another one 30. These are transmitted by a starting and ending date. I was able to do this using Alpha 5 V6, but when my old computer died I also lost the program.
open office 4.1
RPG
Volunteer

Post by RPG »

Hello

It is me not so clear what is your problem now. You have to learn first how OOo is working now. You did learned on this moment that OOo is not working as your old database. Make a simple table in your database for all your data.

On this forum it is also better to start new threads then add your question to other threads. Adding a question with "new to base" is also not a good method to get a good answer. When you start in that way then it is good to read lots of posts on this forum. Search special on this forum and not with google.

I do understand you have already a database with data. Learn now how it is easy to drag data from the datasource to a document. I think this can be most important for to learn it.

I think that a long list is the best way to store your data.

Romke
LibreOffice 7.1.4.2 on openSUSE Leap 15.2
longi

Post by longi »

Hi!
I'm not sure, but it seems you need a report as a list of records, similar to a calc sheet, to show a list of results of your analises. So, you need to get a query with parameters, in order to filter and not show all your table. Then you have to make a simple report based in this query.
To deal with parameter queries search a bit in the forum.
If the question to answer is different ask one more time, please!

Bye!