Direct download link - NOT SourceForge.

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
HawaiianHope.org

Direct download link - NOT SourceForge.

Post by HawaiianHope.org »

Where ON the openOffice.org website can we have a DIRECT link to download the files ? The current download points to SourceForge and SourceForge is no longer a trusted and safe website to use. You need to update the download location as we will absolutly not use Sourceforge any more.

FileZilla has had a major exodus becasue of SourceForge as well.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/reviews

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SourceForg
Acquisition :In September 2012, Dice Holdings acquired SourceForge from its previous owner Geeknet
DevShare adware controversy
In July 2013, SourceForge announced that it will provide project owners an optional feature called DevShare, which places closed-source ad-supported content into the binary installers and gives the project part of the ad revenue.[24] Opinions of this new feature vary, with some complaining about downloaders not being as aware of what they are getting or being able to trust the downloaded content, whereas others see it as a reasonably harmless option that keeps individual projects and users in control.[25]

In November 2013, GIMP, a popular free image manipulation program, removed its download from SourceForge, citing misleading download buttons that can potentially confuse customers, as well as SourceForge's own Windows installer, which bundles third-party offers. In a statement, GIMP called SourceForge a once "useful and trustworthy place to develop and host FLOSS applications" that now faces "a problem with the ads they allow on their sites..."
Last edited by HawaiianHope.org on Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.HawaiianHope.org
Providing technology services to non profit organizations, homeless shelters, clean and sober houses, prisoner re-entry programs and schools. To date we have given away over 1,000 free computers ! Over 700 with Open Office.
acknak

Re: Direct download link?

Post by acknak »

There's an older thread on this topic, here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72565

As long as you avoid clicking anything on the sourceforge page, the automatic download is safe. The problem is that SF allows third parties to supply bogus clickbait links and in that case, the download is some infected form of OO. So far, they've been attentive to reports of such abuse but clearly it's not a good situation.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
HawaiianHope.org

I did not create this post.
I created the other post that is now locked. I do not appreciate that.
This post appears to have been split off from another post that i made regarding someone downloading and getting viruses. the reply i made in that topic is now gone. :crazy:

And no, I will not use sourceforge. I am not going to "avoid clicking."
I Will not patronize a company that deliberately allows and assists in screwing up peoples lives.
Providing technology services to non profit organizations, homeless shelters, clean and sober houses, prisoner re-entry programs and schools. To date we have given away over 1,000 free computers ! Over 700 with Open Office.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Direct download link - NOT SourceForge.

Post by Villeroy »

No matter where you download from, you can verify the downloaded file: http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
All the OpenOffice files from SourceForge are as clean as can be.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
HawaiianHope.org

Thank you for the reply.
Villeroy wrote:All the OpenOffice files from SourceForge are as clean as can be.
Thats nice.
We no longer use source forge. Where on the Open Office website are the direct downloads ?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

I use to use the original ones from SF because they are clean. When you google for OpenOffice downloads, you should avoid "sponsored links" because they contain malware too often.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

The downloads sit on the SourceForge server, if I got that right. So if you don't want to visit SF, you should probably get LibreOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Post by B Marcelly »

Yes, SourceForge is no longer a reliable source.
In the article Yes, Every Freeware Download Site is Serving Crapware (Here’s the Proof) you will read a section on SourceForge.

Yes, you can have a safe download of Apache OpenOffice through SourceForge, but only if you are an experienced user of Internet. The reality is that a good portion of the users are naive and have poor competence. These users are game for the sellers of crapware.

In the old days of OpenOffice.org you could download from public FTP mirror sites in various countries. Access to these sites is free, and they are free of ads. IMO Apache has surrendered some freedom and trustworthiness for some dollars.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I know this is confusing. We have crossed paths here, you trying to post and me trying to clean up, and just making a mess. No one's fault.
HawaiianHope.org wrote:I did not create this post.
I created the other post that is now locked. I do not appreciate that.
This post appears to have been split off from another post that i made regarding someone downloading and getting viruses. the reply i made in that topic is now gone. :crazy: ...
Your post at the top here is your original post. I split it off because this is a separate topic (asking about a non-SF download link).

As I was in the process of doing that, you posted the same question again as a new topic. Now there were two topics with the same question--something we try to avoid. So I locked the second topic and left a link to this topic.

You can always find your posts (or topics) by clicking the "View your posts" link on the main forum page.

Sorry for the confusion.
 Edit: PS: 
If you disagree with how your post was handled, please report it under the "Site Feedback" section of the forum.
HawaiianHope.org

Acknak,
Thanks for the explanation. Not a problem. i was just trying to figure out how that all happened in like under 2 minutes.
HawaiianHope.org

floris v wrote:The downloads sit on the SourceForge server, if I got that right. So if you don't want to visit SF, you should probably get LibreOffice.
Floris. Why would you deliberately drive your clients to go to your competition ? So a client brings a very legitimate problem and concern to your attention and instead of even considering to address the issues, your response is "If you dont like it leave."

We already checked out Libre a few years ago. We have used it before on a number of machines and yes they have a download that is not sourceforge but to a legitimate host. We stuck with OO because it was the original product. You see my signature that we have put OpenOffice on over 700 computers ? I am sure OO would not be thrilled to find out that the next 2,000 we did have Libre on them and it is specifically because you told me to go fly a kite. Each computer we give away represents about 4 people using it and learing the software that is on it. In some locations (like the shelters) it is as much as 40 people per computer. So by us, a single installer, switching to Libre, as many as 10,000 people might learn about Libre instead of OO. And that could be a direct result of your single comment. And, we are only one installer. What about the next 30 installers that do something similar to what we do and decide they agree with you as well ?What if The National Cristina Foundation (which is like 50 times larger than we are) reads your comment and says, "yep, we should move too." that might represent over 300,000 users being directed to your competition. That is how businesses die and never understand why they died.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

top of this page wrote:User community support forum for Apache OpenOffice, LibreOffice and all the OpenOffice.org derivatives
There are no commercial links nor employments between the Apache foundation and the active members of this forum (and nobody pays anything for either suite).
Many developers write code for both projects.
On this forum we are all users, most of us having a prefered office suite and a secondary one.
This is not about partisanship between two software packages. The major concern is about the ODF document standard because this is the one big feature which could help computer users around the world to get rid of vendor lock-in (if people would not insist in using proprietary file formats).
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

HawaiianHope.org wrote:
floris v wrote:The downloads sit on the SourceForge server, if I got that right. So if you don't want to visit SF, you should probably get LibreOffice.
Floris. Why would you deliberately drive your clients to go to your competition ? So a client brings a very legitimate problem and concern to your attention and instead of even considering to address the issues, your response is "If you dont like it leave."

We already checked out Libre a few years ago. We have used it before on a number of machines and yes they have a download that is not sourceforge but to a legitimate host. We stuck with OO because it was the original product. You see my signature that we have put OpenOffice on over 700 computers ? I am sure OO would not be thrilled to find out that the next 2,000 we did have Libre on them and it is specifically because you told me to go fly a kite. Each computer we give away represents about 4 people using it and learing the software that is on it. In some locations (like the shelters) it is as much as 40 people per computer. So by us, a single installer, switching to Libre, as many as 10,000 people might learn about Libre instead of OO. And that could be a direct result of your single comment. And, we are only one installer. What about the next 30 installers that do something similar to what we do and decide they agree with you as well ?What if The National Cristina Foundation (which is like 50 times larger than we are) reads your comment and says, "yep, we should move too." that might represent over 300,000 users being directed to your competition. That is how businesses die and never understand why they died.
HawaiianHope.org: we have a misunderstanding here. This is a user to user forum, independent of but kindly maintained by Apache. All staff are users like you. None of us have the power to make Apache abandon SourceForge. I deplore that SourceForge has gone bad, I remember that when Apache announced that the downloads would be hosted there, I was happy because I considered SF as a reliable free download site. Too bad they changed.
Most volunteers and staff are highly pragmatic people. We want your problem solved, we don't specifically want to bind you to AOO. If you want high interoperability with the latest formats of MS Office for professional use, we will advice you that Libre seems to offer better import and export filters. If that isn't good enough, we will advice you to get a copy of MS Office.
At some point Apache will probably change their policy, but in the meantime you want to install safe software from a place that you can trust. The best thing that you can do maybe is sign up at the developers mailing list ( http://openoffice.apache.org/mailing-li ... iling_list ) and explain your problem there, and tell that you will feel forced to move to Libre if they don't change their ways or don't force SF to improve. If enough people do that, it may make the difference.
I'm sorry but I didn't read your signature - for me the signature is merely a place where people publish their OS and version of OO, and in this discussion that information is not needed.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
pescetti

Post by pescetti »

I see a number of wrong statements here. Some of them damage the reputation of OpenOffice. Making sure users get our software properly is a major priority for us, see http://s.apache.org/genuine-openoffice

Let me clarify some facts, so that you don't need to think that random blog posts apply to OpenOffice:

1) Reliability. SourceForge has always been a reliable partner for OpenOffice. OpenOffice downloads from SourceForge are guaranteed to be genuine, malware-free, bundle-free; they are built and uploaded to SourceForge by the project and their checksums and signatures can be verified. For extra security, checksums and signatures are hosted on the Apache servers (see download page). So there is no risk to get an adulterated version of OpenOffice from the SourceForge OpenOffice download area.

2) Services. OpenOffice uses the Sourceforge mirror network because Apache mirrors are not equipped for handling the huge amount of installers we produce (40+ languages x 6 platforms x N versions) and sustain the traffic. We evaluated using Apache infrastructure, but the upload took 8 days. OpenOffice uses SourceForge for purely technical reasons. OpenOffice does not get any money from SourceForge or from the ads (some of you seem to believe the opposite, so it's good that I state this explicitly).

3) Banners. It indeed happens sometimes that users find banners that may be considered misleading. SourceForge committed to removing them. They are usually removed within a few hours after reporting them to dev@openoffice.apache.org ; but there is a dedicated channel http://sourceforge.net/blog/sourceforge ... ve-update/ for even quicker removal; this may be hard to find unless you follow the OpenOffice dev list; but now you know about it too. Any advertisement for competitors, or misleading, or unacceptable in general, was always promptly removed.

4) Community. Sourceforge has been a very good community player. Besides offering excellent, verified statistics on our downloads, they also host and maintain the OpenOffice Extensions and Templates sites, and they contributed to Apache the code for their own platform, which has become Apache Allura. Ads, as their staff explained many times on the OpenOffice dev list, are not chosen by them.

Conclusion: downloading OpenOffice from the official download area at SourceForge is absolutely safe. Never use an unofficial site. Always verify checksums as explained on the OpenOffice download page. If you see any misleading ads, report them as explained above and experience shows that they are always removed within a few hours.

Let me add a tip for technically-oriented people who miss the possibility to use wget; wget works perfectly, for example "wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/openoff ... e/download" will download the latest version in English.
OpenOffice 4.1.2 Italian
danste2000

Post by danste2000 »

Direct Download, No spam No ads
:bravo: :bravo: Having the same problem with sourceforge at the moment :bravo: :bravo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6Itsg09y-NT2FleHY2VTZ2R1U/view?usp=sharing

Your welcome!! :D
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled live link
OPENOFFICE 4.1.1 ON WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

danste2000 wrote:Direct Download, No spam No ads
:bravo: :bravo: Having the same problem with sourceforge at the moment :bravo: :bravo:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By6Its ... sp=sharing

Your welcome!! :D
No, you do not have any problem with Apache OpenOffice on sourceforge. But if you try to redirect users to your own distribution channel without any links to the source code nor any check sums then you will be sued for sure.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

How, exactly, could anyone consider this link to be a direct download from Apache OpenOffice?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
danste2000

Post by danste2000 »

To what i can find. There is no direct download links for openoffice on the website. Correct me if im wrong.
I downloaded the sourceforge installer to my own risk on a VM and downloaded. It seemed OK and the installer was clean. I uploaded and thought of sharing with others who thought sourceforge was bad and they didn't want to risk it.

Thats why i said No spam and No Adware because there was none for me. You can either download from the google drive link which i provided or you can download from sourceforge.

The download link which i provided was for the installer of openoffice. No copyright infringement intended it was to share and collaborate with this forum only.
OPENOFFICE 4.1.1 ON WINDOWS 7 ULTIMATE
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

danste2000 wrote:You can either download from the google drive link which i provided or you can download from sourceforge.
I'll continue to download from the official site which I know is safe.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

It is important to remember that any download from OpenOffice/SourceForge can be verified for ex-factory integrity by checking the MD5Sum
http://www.openoffice.org/download/checksums.html
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

danste2000 wrote:... There is no direct download links for openoffice on the website. Correct me if im wrong. ...
There is no download available from the Apache servers. The download link from the main OO webpage goes to the Sourceforge server and starts a (delayed) automatic download. So in most cases, only one click, on the OO download page is needed. This path is clean and safe.

The problem comes when the Sourceforge page displays an advertisement link. If the user is enticed into making an extra click on the advertisement, the download may be switched to the advertiser's server, which is not controlled by Sourceforge or Apache and the downloaded package may not be safe.

I don't know how that process works, exactly, but if there's an unsafe link and the user is lured into clicking it then it may be too late to verify the download checksum.

The bottom line is: never click on anything except the download link on the Apache OO page. Wait for the download to start automatically. The automatic download should be the clean Apache package and nothing else.
LoseCryBlame

Post by LoseCryBlame »

I will not download anything from SourceForge ever again since I picked up Vosteran with FileZilla. If Apache wants to remain loyal to SourceForge and only provide one link to their software, well that is idiotic from a customer service standpoint. If I asked any of my clients to perform a Checksum on their OpenOffice file before installing they would look at me like I was mad. So for me, OpenOffice is as dead as SourceForge.

Cheers! :super:
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If one clicks on any of the ads offered on the SourceForge site one may get downloads that have contamination added. SourceForge are good about banning these, but they must be given the exact URL. All OpenOffice downloads can be verified to confirm "ex-factory" integrity by the methods described here

If you are advising customers, as you say, then by not advising then (and showing them how) to perform an integrity check on a downloaded application you are failing in your responsibilities.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

This looks like a private war against one particular file hoster which is just "one of these" file hoster among other file hosters.
This user forum is the wrong place.
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

LoseCryBlame wrote:I will not download anything from SourceForge ever again since I picked up Vosteran with FileZilla. If Apache wants to remain loyal to SourceForge and only provide one link to their software, well that is idiotic from a customer service standpoint. If I asked any of my clients to perform a Checksum on their OpenOffice file before installing they would look at me like I was mad. So for me, OpenOffice is as dead as SourceForge.

Cheers! :super:
Sure. You prefer scrolling and clicking through EULAs giving a shit on security.
LoseCryBlame

Post by LoseCryBlame »

RoryOF wrote:If one clicks on any of the ads offered on the SourceForge site one may get downloads that have contamination added. SourceForge are good about banning these, but they must be given the exact URL. All OpenOffice downloads can be verified to confirm "ex-factory" integrity by the methods described here

If you are advising customers, as you say, then by not advising then (and showing them how) to perform an integrity check on a downloaded application you are failing in your responsibilities.
Vosteran was bundled with Filezilla using the SourceForge installer. Yes I missed the option to disable the install but SourceForge was once a trusted source for downloads and when a company is trustworthy you don't have to worry about them sneaking ad-ware on to your computer. SourceForge is no longer trustworthy. Having to perform a check sum basically means there is doubt whether or not the that company is trustworthy. Does anyone perform a check sum when downloading Firefox from their website? A average user would not, otherwise why would I be installing software that was questionably safe?

"failing in your responsibilities" would be suggesting software to my clients that might infest their system with ad-ware.

The point is OpenOffice only provides ONE download link on their download page and it is to a untrustworthy website.

Please educate yourself on the issue prior to responding. Don't just fanboy reply.

http://blog.tedd.no/2014/11/25/sourceforge-malware/

There are many more like that from trusted blogs and companies.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

LoseCryBlame wrote:
RoryOF wrote: "failing in your responsibilities" would be suggesting software to my clients that might infest their system with ad-ware.

The point is OpenOffice only provides ONE download link on their download page and it is to a untrustworthy website.

Please educate yourself on the issue prior to responding. Don't just fanboy reply.

http://blog.tedd.no/2014/11/25/sourceforge-malware/

There are many more like that from trusted blogs and companies.
I write from my personal experience, not from hearsay. My own experience is that most journalists provide a commentary distorted to fit their agenda.

What, if anything, are the commentators you cite doing to fix the problem their inexperience leads then to highlight? What are you doing about it apart from parroting "trusted blogs and companies"? I note you do not provide any analysis of why you (or anyone) should trust them.
acknak

Post by acknak »

I think it's time to lock this thread: it's generating more heat than light.

I think we can all agree that the situation with SourceForge is unfortunate but ranting about it here isn't going to help.

We (the Community Forum) try to let people know that downloading OO from SourceForge is completely safe, as long as you DO NOT CLICK anything on the SourceForge page. The automatic download (NO CLICKS) is safe and you will not get infected files from SF.

Beyond giving out accurate information, there's nothing we can do about the situation. And arguing about it isn't going to help.