[Solved] Database unable to open

Discuss the database features
Karena

[Solved] Database unable to open

Post by Karena »

Hi,

I've been working for the last few weeks on an ODB file. I saved (yes!) and went to open something else and Open Office crashed. I tried to reopen the file and I got a "Filter Selection" window.

I don't know what happened! Is there anything I can do to try to fix it?? I've tried the zip trick and creating a new user profile, and it's still not working.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help, it's a very important file.
Last edited by Karena on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Open Office 4.1.0 | Windows 7
Sliderule
Volunteer

Re: Database unable to open and asking for "Filter Selection

Post by Sliderule »

I just sent you a PM ( Private Message ).

Sliderule

Thanks to add [Solved] in your 1st post Subject (edit button top right) if this issue has been resolved.
Pastor Bob

Re: [Solved] Database unable to open

Post by Pastor Bob »

I have this same problem on my .odb file. Worked fine for a year. Now I get that Filter Selection window. Solution? Many thanks!
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows Vista on Dell Inspiron 1525
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

Pastor Bob:

Sliderule
Pastor Bob

Post by Pastor Bob »

Thanks Sliderule! You fixed my corrupted .odb file! I set the backup function to help prevent this. Unfortunately, I had been using my dropbox account as a backup, and it just saved my corrupt file with the same name, and was no use as a backup. I know better now.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows Vista on Dell Inspiron 1525
OPE1rginla

Post by OPE1rginla »

I am having the same problem. Can anyone help? Pastor Bob or Sliderule? Thanks,
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS X
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

OPE1rginla:

Sliderule
macstibs

Post by macstibs »

Same problem here.

Accessed an ODB that I saved to Dropbox using OpenOfficeAndroid and then got a corrupt DB error back on the desktop.

Tried to copy the data over to a new ODB and then rezip but I'm getting the Filter screen instead of it opening properly.

Thanks.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.10
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

macstibs wrote:Same problem here.

Accessed an ODB that I saved to Dropbox using OpenOfficeAndroid and then got a corrupt DB error back on the desktop.

Tried to copy the data over to a new ODB and then rezip but I'm getting the Filter screen instead of it opening properly.

Thanks.
I will momentarily send you a PM ( Private Message ).

Sliderule
JJJoseph

Post by JJJoseph »

Sliderule, why are you sending private messages? That means each one of us has to request your answer individually. If you post your reply here, we can all get to work with needing to bother you repeatedly, until the end of time.
OOo 3.4.X on MS Windows 7 + Blackberry 10
DACM
Volunteer

Post by DACM »

JJJoseph wrote:Sliderule, why are you sending private messages? That means each one of us has to request your answer individually. If you post your reply here, we can all get to work with needing to bother you repeatedly, until the end of time.
JJJoseph,

Please be respectful of Sliderule's skills and dedication involved with .odb file repair. The steps are often beyond a simple tutorial. The process requires advanced ZIP archive repair tools, significant knowledge and experience with .odb file specifications (such as embedded query, form, report and database-file storage), expertise with HSQLDB configurations and recovery mechanisms, as well as, tedious manual HSQL 'script' file repair on a case-by-case basis. The results must then be repackaged and tested. Private Messaging is likely used to eliminate the possibility that a desperate user might unwittingly post confidential database data in a public forum. Lets just tip our hats to Sliderule for this invaluable service and dedication to the Base user-community.

We can generally avoid the need for .odb file recovery by storing our files in a cloud-sync'ed folder featuring file-versioning services (Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.).

I should also mention:
AOO 4.1.x; LO 4.2.x; Windows 7/8 64-bit
Warning: Avoid embedded databases --> Solution: Adopt a portable 'split database' folder
Soli Deo gloria
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

JJJoseph wrote:Sliderule, why are you sending private messages? That means each one of us has to request your answer individually. If you post your reply here, we can all get to work with needing to bother you repeatedly, until the end of time.
I send a private message, to inform the user of MY REQUIREMENTS, if I am to help a user. If/when the user meets those requirements, I will attempt to repair the file. Sometimes, a user elects not to reply or even acknowledge or read the PM.

No, it is NOT a list of things to do to repair a corrupt .odb file, since what must be done, or even, if it can be done ( repaired ), depends on the 'condition/contents' of the individual file. Some of the tools are also, operating system specific.

Sliderule
JJJoseph

Post by JJJoseph »

Sliderule wrote:I send a private message, to inform the user of MY REQUIREMENTS
Then you should do that somewhere else other than this forum. You're wasting everybody's time & space conducting private conversations on a "Help Forum", and you're not helping any other users. It's bad manners. Please take your PMs somewhere else.
OOo 3.4.X on MS Windows 7 + Blackberry 10
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

JJJoseph wrote:
Then you should do that somewhere else other than this forum. You're wasting everybody's time & space conducting private conversations on a "Help Forum", and you're not helping any other users. It's bad manners. Please take your PMs somewhere else.
JJJoseph:

Thank you for telling me what I should or not do.

I have now learned, you are expert in "bad manners".

To the over 75 users, over the years, where, I was able to 'recover' a Base file ( *.odb ) . . . I apologise . . . per user JJJoseph . . for wasting forum bandwidth with one private message.

Thank you very much in teaching me something today.

Sliderule
jimmpa25

Post by jimmpa25 »

Can i please have some help with this to, when i try to open my work i get the filter selection window and i cant choose anything there, please help :)
OpenOffice v4.11
Win 7
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

jimmpa25:

Welcome to the OpenOffice / LibreOffice Base forum.

You said, wrote:
jimmpa25 wrote:Can i please have some help with this to, when i try to open my work i get the filter selection window and i cant choose anything there, please help :)
While I would like to help you . . . user JJJoseph has written:
JJJoseph wrote:
Since, the forum moderators have not added anything to this forum post . . . I have learned that . . . no . . . I cannot help users with corrupt Base files.

However, I am confident . . . user . . . JJJoseph . . . will help you repair your file, and, do it without "wasting everybody's time & space" and with "good manners". :)

Sliderule
F3K Total
Volunteer

Post by F3K Total »

Hello,
IMPOV, everybody can help the way he/she likes.
I am able to repair broken databases, just by reading previous posts of Sliderule (thank you so much) and others here in the Forum.
So JJJoseph :evil: is just too lazy to search and learn it, all necessary informations are available.
He's the one, wasting everybody's time & space with his unfriendly comments and unnecessary discussions.
Sliderule, don't let him bother you!
R
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

F3K Total wrote:Hello,
IMPOV, everybody can help the way he/she likes.
I am able to repair broken databases, just by reading previous posts of Sliderule (thank you so much) and others here in the Forum.
So JJJoseph :evil: is just too lazy to search and learn it, all necessary informations are available.
He's the one, wasting everybody's time & space with his unfriendly comments and unnecessary discussions.
Sliderule, don't let him bother you!
R
F3K Total:

I am certainly not letting user JJJoseph "bother me". The exact opposite . . . as I have posted above . . . I have learned from user JJJoseph . I am just, following the wise recommendations posted by said user. :super:

Sliderule
acknak

Post by acknak »

May I state clearly, for the record, that there is no forum policy against using PMs to help users privately. Volunteers offer their valuable expertise here pro bono and each is entitled to choose the approach that they feel is most appropriate.

While we encourage people to resolve issues publicly so others can benefit from the discussion, there is no forum policy regarding this and it is not, from the standpoint of the community forum, considered improper in any way for someone to choose to use a private channel. Sliderule has done nothing improper in using the private channel to resolve the problem.

If you dislike using a private channel, that is your choice, clearly. But we ask everyone to respect each other's choices and refrain from making personal character attacks.

A personal note: I sometimes help with damaged document files (Base problems are beyond my skills) and I've considered trying to write down the steps: aside from some general strategies (which are already written down, and apply to Base documents as well), there is no recipe for recovering a damaged file. Every one is a little different and it often takes some knowledge of xml and a bit of intuition to fix the problem. Writing that down for someone else to follow would end up as a book. About half the time, I end up using a private channel to solve the problem.

Any comment or discussion on this issue should be made on the Site Feedback area of the forum: viewforum.php?f=50
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
lennonenglish

Post by lennonenglish »

i'm having thesame problem. can someone please post the solution? thanks!
OpenOffice4.1 on Win 7
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

lennonenglish:

Sliderule
jslcpd157

Post by jslcpd157 »

I am having this same issue. I am working on OpenOffice 4.1.1, on Windows 7.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 7
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

jslcpd157:

Sliderule
thatchristianguy

Post by thatchristianguy »

I am getting a corrupt .odb file that I was in several minutes ago. Is there a solution I can pointed to? Thank you for you help with this.
OpenOffice 4, Windows 7
F3K Total
Volunteer

Post by F3K Total »

How do you see, that it's corrupt?
R
  • MMove 1.0.6
  • Extension for easy, exact positioning of shapes, pictures, controls, frames ...
  • my current system
  • Windows 10 AOO, LOLinux Mint AOO, LO
thatchristianguy

Post by thatchristianguy »

When I go to open the .odb the FIlter Selection window opens and there is no option that will allow the database to open regularly.
OpenOffice 4, Windows 7
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

thatchristianguy wrote:When I go to open the .odb the FIlter Selection window opens and there is no option that will allow the database to open regularly.
... and you are running Windws without any backup facility so you do not have any working version of that file?
Well, that database might be lost.
[Tutorial] Avoiding data loss with built in HSQLDB
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
deadline13

Post by deadline13 »

Please help. My database crashed a while ago and cant be opened. Same issue.
Please help I need the database back. Been working on it for quite a while :crazy:
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.10.3
Sliderule
Volunteer

Post by Sliderule »

deadline13:

Sliderule
jtbernier

Post by jtbernier »

Same issue... hoping for a PM from Sliderule
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows Vista