[Solved] Oracle Report Builder Sorting Query

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
Mokonzi

[Solved] Oracle Report Builder Sorting Query

Post by Mokonzi »

I've installed the Oracle Report Builder addon after discovering some of the limitations in the default reporting options in OOBase. I've managed to create the report as I wanted, but for one mistake in the ordering of the query I added while using the Wizard to create the report. I cannot find anything to point me to how I can change that without breaking the grouping arrangement I have.

My report is built around two groups sections and after the second grouping I need the report to order be DESC on one of the fields rather than ASC as I selected originally. Any suggestions? :)

PS, thanks in advance for the help.
Last edited by Mokonzi on Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mokonzi

OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 7
charlie.it
Volunteer

Re: Oracle Report Builder Sorting Query

Post by charlie.it »

Hi, help us to help you: attach a sample file with few data.
charlie
Italian AOO Admin
macOS 14 Sonoma M1: Open Office 4.1.15 - LibreOffice 7.5.7.1

http://www.charlieopenoffice.altervista.org
MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

Open the "sorting and grouping" window (the toolbar icon just looks like a paper with a bunch of lines on it, or View->Sorting and Grouping).
At the top of the window select the group you want to modify, and at the bottom of the window change the "Sorting" field from ascending to descending.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Mokonzi

Post by Mokonzi »

Thanks for the replies back guys.

@charlie.it: I was more after where to look for the issue of sorting than for an issue in the SQL. :)

@MTP: That helped a lot. I'd checked there a couple of times and noticed it only listed the grouping I'd made, but lacked the sorting I'd additionally added in when creating through the wizard (I've grouped two separate columns before sorting on a third). The fact it didn't show up this third column made me wonder whether it was even bothering to sort... so I manually changed the query it was based on and added the sorting on my own for all three columns and that seemed to resolve it.

This has puzzled me a lot though as to why there seems to be no way of changing sorting applied to non grouped columns when creating it through the wizard. Is it that it never gets stored, or is there something I've missed in what the sorting and grouping does?

Thanks again for the help. :)
Mokonzi

MTP
Volunteer

Post by MTP »

Maybe try a different place to look:

Open the Report Navigator (toolbar icon is a paper with a compass, or View->Report Navigator). Click on the top entry named "Report". If you have the properties window open, click on the Data tab. (If you don't have the properties window open, open it with View->Properties, and then click on the Data tab.) If your "Content type" is "SQL command", then the SQL command will be in the "Content" field, and you can edit it, including adding or changing any ORDER BY clauses.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 10, HSQLDB 1.8 split database
Mokonzi

Post by Mokonzi »

Thanks MTP. The report is based around a query, and that is all that shows.

That's what puzzled me. Perhaps I'm assuming the Sorting I asked it to apply was overridden by the SQL query from the query itself.
Mokonzi

Laf4sens

Re: [Solved] Oracle Report Builder Sorting Query

Post by Laf4sens »

MTP:

I don't see where in Report Builder (I'm using Report Builder 11g) the Sort Grouping view... I have put an ORDER BY in my query statement (see attached file).

Please help !

Cheers,

Marc L
Attachments
sort.PNG
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10