[Issue] User-defined index in alphabetic order

Writing a book, Automating Document Production - Discuss your special needs here
aldemo

[Issue] User-defined index in alphabetic order

Post by aldemo »

In text I want to make an several indexes to automatically put in tables. All is well but the items are published in sequential order instead of alphabetic. As I understand there is only one fixed table available in alphabetical order and cannot be multiplied.

Any solution?

Jan Aldemo
Spain
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8
Hagar Delest

Re: Writer: User-defined index in alphabetic order

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Can you upload a sample file: just a few pages with some entries and the index (see How to attach a document here)?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
aldemo

Post by aldemo »

Greatfull for your swift response.

Please check my file appended.
Attachments
Index example.odt
(17.54 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

This is my understanding: you can have as many custom indexes as you want, with items in order of appearance, but there can be only one alphabetical index. I don't know any way around that, other than some kind of extra processing to re-arrange the index.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
aldemo

Post by aldemo »

Then I haven't missed anything. I'll go around it by marking the list and use the sort function before printing. When updated it's back to original state.

Could be a subject for improvement to allow the user more options in creating indexes, if I'm not the only person with this interest.

Many thanks
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

There has been a long outstanding request for this
https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=6401

It ought be possible to write an extension to scan through a file (the code for this exists in a number of macro related notes), identify and extract each already generated index, sort it - a bubble sort is one of the elementary programming exercises - and then replace the original index with the sorted version. Once this was working the sort subroutine could be improved to use a faster sort method.

Code for Inserting a ToC or other Index is given in Pitonyak's "Useful Macro Information for OpenOffice.org" in sections 7.18 & 7.24 (repeat of 7.18?). As I understand it, this code causes OO's internals to generate the index, but it might be a starting point.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS