Slide displays incorrectly in updated version

Discuss the presentation application
blaine.mincey

Slide displays incorrectly in updated version

Post by blaine.mincey »

Greetings.

I recently upgraded to Fedora 9. In the process, I got OpenOffice 2.4.1 right out of the box. However, a presentation I had developed in version 2.0.4 now displays several things incorrectly. I have attached an image of an example as to what I am referring to. I have several vertical text boxes that will now garble the text somewhat. The attached image should have "Application Stack" vertical with the words being on separate lines.

Unfortunately, the "S" and "k" and horizontal while the rest of the phrase is correct?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I have to give this presentation later this week and I really do not want to have to do this over in the "other" presentation software :)

Thanks in advance!

Blaine
Attached image indicating incorrect display of vertical text
Attached image indicating incorrect display of vertical text
bad.jpg (7 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
OOo 2.4.X on Fedora 9
squenson
Volunteer

Re: Slide displays incorrectly in updated version

Post by squenson »

In which format did you save your original presentation? If it is PowerPoint, then I am afraid that there is not much we can do. The file format was unpublished until very recently and therefore the engine to decipher such file may have some glitches.

If you saved your presentation in .odp format, could you save this unique slide (delete the other object) and attach the result to this forum (tab upload is located just below the Submit button when you prepare an answer).
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
twright

Post by twright »

you could just use inkscape for the diagrams, they will look nicer and the text will work
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Fedora, Windows 7
blaine.mincey

Post by blaine.mincey »

Hi.

Thanks for the responses. I will most definitely check out Inkscape when time permits. In the meantime, I have posted a two-slide odp file as a sample from my original presentation. The original presentation was created using OO 2.0.4 and saved as an odp file.

Again, this is just a sample of elements displaying incorrectly. In particular, the vertical text elements are skewed.

Thanks again!

Blaine
sample.odp
Sample presentation
(15.3 KiB) Downloaded 245 times
OOo 2.4.X on Fedora 9
squenson
Volunteer

Post by squenson »

Strangely enough, under Windows XP and OOo 2.4.1., I get:
stack.PNG
stack.PNG (2.16 KiB) Viewed 2788 times
Problem with a screen driver?
LibreOffice 4.2.3.3. on Ubuntu 14.04
blaine.mincey

Post by blaine.mincey »

I wouldn't think it would be a screen driver. I created the slide on the same Linux distro and same hardware configuration using OO 2.0.4 and it worked just fine. WIth OO 2.4.1, the display is bad.

Is it possible to download previous versions of OO? At this point, I would not mind installing 2.0.4 and wait for the release of OO 3.0 to see if that fixes the issue.

Blaine
OOo 2.4.X on Fedora 9
twright

Post by twright »

you could export to .ppt and reimport

that might fix it

you could also try downloading the beta of version 3. if the presentation uses microsoft fonts (such as comic sans, calibri cambria or anything similar) you need to install them in fedora

i think fedora has evince for pdf's, if you export to pdf it can show it as a presentation. or you could try keyjnote

edit:
can you open the attached file correctly
Attachments
sample.ppt
(79 KiB) Downloaded 193 times
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Fedora, Windows 7
blaine.mincey

Post by blaine.mincey »

Again, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

Of course, the slides display correctly in the Windoze version of OO. From what I can ascertain, it appears that the vertical textboxes will not display correctly on the Linux version of OO. In fact, I have tried with several other presentations with vertical text boxes I have created in older versions of OO. None will work in the new version.

Does anyone happen to have available a link to download previous versions of OO? Specifically, version 2.0.4?

I will get the latest OO 3.0 release for Linux and see if that will correct the situation. If anyone else has additional ideas, please share :)

Regardless, I will post back with my results from OO v3.0 to see if my issue is resolved.

Thanks!

Blaine
OOo 2.4.X on Fedora 9
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

For information, it works fine for me with your sample (.odp) and the official version (2.4.1) on my Xubuntu box:
OOo_2.4.1_Sun.png
OOo_2.4.1_Sun.png (3.9 KiB) Viewed 2747 times
You should install that official version, see here: Can I install Open Office with Fedora?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10