Photoshop look-alike

Talk about anything at all....
bbrafman

Photoshop look-alike

Post by bbrafman »

Will you guys be introducing a photoshop look alike or does that already exist. Please tell me where to find a free, and very good photo editing software.

Barbara
acknak

Re: Photoshop look-alike

Post by acknak »

Have you read the Forum Survival Guide?
What OS are you using?

There are many free (of cost), and even a few that are free (as in freedom), image editing applications, but obviously which to recommend depends a lot on what OS you're using it on.

OOo can already do some basic transformations on an image (brightness, contrast, color-shifting, etc), but there are no plans to include an image editor in OOo.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

The GNU Image Manipulation Program is at least a Photoshop "workalike", similar in functionality and complexity. Official builds are for Linux only, but it's easy to find third party builds for Windows and Mac-OSX. If I'm not mistaken, you'll find it for any other OS platform as well...
I do not consider myself an advanced user, but FWIW, while using the GIMP I've never missed Photoshop.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
EdH
Volunteer

Post by EdH »

keme wrote:The [url=http://www.gimp.org/]Official builds are for Linux only, but it's easy to find third party builds for Windows and Mac-OSX.
Windows versions have actually been official since 2.0 but are listed on a different SF project.

GIMP is very good but is not a PS clone, a lot of people forget this. There is a project called Gimpshop which aims to make GIMP look like PS. I personally would never use PS having had to fix so many bloated compressed files made in it. For such an expensive product it has no clue how to produce JPEG files.
OOoSVN - Version control for OOo documents under Unix
LibreOffice on Arch Linux
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

EdH wrote:Windows versions have actually been official since 2.0 but are listed on a different SF project.
Quote from the GIMP download page:
The GIMP team doesn't officially provide any Windows binaries. You can, however, install GIMP easily using the Windows installers by Jernej Simončič.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

I've installed those Windows GIMP binaries many times on many systems. They work fine.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
Caracalla
Volunteer

Post by Caracalla »

There's a version of the GIMP that is supposed to closely resemble phtoshop, called Gimpshop. I've never worked intesively with either so i cannot say how close the resemblance is. Either way, you can find it here. You have to scroll down a bit for the Windows verion.
Has your question been answered? Then please add [solved] to the title of your thread.
My pet peeve, No support for international ordinal numbering
please vote

Er is nu ook een Nederlandstalig forum!
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP + Opensuse 11.1
RGB

Post by RGB »

Just a comment (or warning...) about the Gimp.
If you are happy editing jpg images (for example, the digital photos from your compact camera), gimp is just perfect. BUT if you need something more professional, like 16 or 32 bits per colour channel (jpegs have only 8 bits per colour channel) or to work on several different colour spaces, gimp is not for you... yet. 32 bits per colour channel is in the to-do list for the Gimp project, but it is not yet implemented.
Free programs that support up to 32 bits per colour channel are:
CinePaint (an early fork of the Gimp project): it is used on the cinema industry. I think versions for Windows and Mac are available.
Krita: This amazing program is part of the koffice suite. koffice version 2 will be available for Windows and Mac.
For small (and not so small) works, imageJ.
But again, if you only need to edit the last birthday photos, the Gimp is just perfect.
There are two types of people: those who believe that there are two types of people and those who do not.

openSUSE Leap with KDE Plasma / LibreOffice
AndrewZ
Volunteer

Post by AndrewZ »

Caracalla : GIMP Shop has not been updated in two years, so I wouldn't recommend it.

RGB: GIMP 2.5 has implemented GEGL to provide 32-bit color depth. It's not in the final release stage yet, but it is implemented.
* Did you solve your problem? Do others a favor: Post the solution
* Visit OpenOffice.org Ninja (blog) and OpenOffice.org Ninja Wiki for news, previews, troubleshooting, etc.
OOo 3.0.X on Fedora 9 + XP
johnkingsb1

Post by johnkingsb1 »

Hi...

GIMP is one of the great photo editing tool that can be taken as alternative to photoshop, I used it for some time and was good experienced with it. but if you are don't need it on regular basis the you can edit your photos on the fly that is using free online photo editor tools, i know about one called online photoshop. You can access it by visiting the url http://www.onlinephotoshop.net. I found it just like the adobe photoshop
Last edited by thomasjk on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: disabled live link
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows
Ed2
Volunteer

Post by Ed2 »

Please note that the last post was in 2008, so unlikely that the original poster is still looking for a solution.
Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 on Windows 7
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Post by TheGurkha »

If you Google for Gimp Gimpshop you'll see lots of warnings that (the non-Gimp produced) Gimpshop is rammed full of malware. Just use Gimp, from, the official site.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust