Mathtype equation not viewed

Discuss the formula editor
ak_sivakumar

Mathtype equation not viewed

Post by ak_sivakumar »

I am unable to view the Mathtype equations and cross references. The equations are properly viewed in Word 2007. When I open the same .docx file in OOO 4.0.0 the equations shows empty and the equations numbers. Help me to solve this problem. Thanks in advance.
MathType
MathType
Untitled.png (7.51 KiB) Viewed 16491 times
OpenOffice 4.0.0 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Mathtype equation not viewed

Post by Hagar Delest »

Try menu View>Field Names.

Please add [Solved] at the beginning of the title in your first post (top of the topic) with the edit button if your issue has been fixed.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
ak_sivakumar

Post by ak_sivakumar »

Need few more details on this.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Have you tried to uncheck that option?
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

I'm not sure that OO really supports MathType - in older version MathType formulas could be inserted as OLE objects and you can view them in a document if you have MathType installed on your computer - OO will simply call on MathType to do the hard work of displaying the formulas. If the formulas in your docx document were made with the MathType editor that came with MSO, you're out of luck - you won't be able to make OO find that MT editor.

See this. I stand corrected. :oops:
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
ak_sivakumar

Post by ak_sivakumar »

Hi Hagar: I have tried uncheck/check and not able to view the equation.
floris: Thanks for the details and will wait for the future releases will overcome this problem.
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

But you should at least see the reference number I think.
Can you upload a sample file (see How to attach a document here)?
afwings

Post by afwings »

If the formulas in your docx document were made with the MathType editor that came with MSO, you're out of luck - you won't be able to make OO find that MT editor.
Not correct on several counts. I understand what you mean by "the MathType editor that came with MSO", although MathType itself has never shipped with MS Office. Our Equation Editor, which MS renamed as Microsoft Equation 3.0 (let's call it MSE3), is still included in MS Office, so if someone has MS Office installed, he probably also has MSE3. Its default location in Windows 7-64 is C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\EQUATION\EQNEDT32.EXE, and can be run from the Run dialog. No need to open MS Office. I won't assume what you had in mind, but you may have been thinking of the "new" equation editor MS introduced in Word 2007, which has an official name of "OMML equation editor", but most people just say "equation editor". Definitely room for confusion here, so I wanted to clear that up -- as well as I could anyway.

Now to the original issue -- opening a Word 2007 document in OpenOffice 4.0 such that the MathType equations and references display properly...

If your document is in .docx format, you won't have much success; neither MathType nor OMML equations will come over. The best situation will be if you're able to open your document in Word, save it as a .doc file, then open it in OpenOffice. When you do that, all the MathType equations should be not only visible, but properly aligned in the document and editable in MathType. IF that's the route you take, and if you have OMML equations in the document, be aware that they'll be converted to images when you save as .doc. Once they're in OpenOffice, you won't be able to edit them anymore. To prevent that, you can use MathType to convert all the OMML equations to MathType equations (with MathType's Convert Equations command on the MathType tab in Word). Since the equation numbers and equation references were created in Word with Word's "field codes", I don't know of a way to retain those when you open the document in OpenOffice.

Bob Mathews
Design Science
OpenOffice 4.0 Windows 7/OS X 10.9 Mavericks
ak_sivakumar

Post by ak_sivakumar »

Thanks. What is the procedure which I need to follow if i do not have Word 2007?
Chris79

Post by Chris79 »

I agree... I´m in the same situation... no Word 2007 to convert the docx file to plain doc file.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 OS X Mavericks
Rohan@spi

Post by Rohan@spi »

Hi,

Can any one help me ho to convert Mathtype equations into mathml in word document using Mathtype SDK tool...?
Open Office 3.1 Windows 7
Gopats

Post by Gopats »

Hi,

With respect to the MathType sdk - I think this is an OO conversion issue... perhaps a library needs modification?

It looks like there has been an issue with MathType & OpenOffice since version 3.4.1 and perhaps earlier, that has carried on into OO 4 & 4.1... opening a Word file will open but the MT graphics lose its context - For example, <––> becomes <<; there are other similar issues. However, opening a Word doc that was created via Microsoft 2004 (saved as .doc) -- will open correctly on a Mac running OS X 10.9.5 using Pages 5.2 and/or Preview 7.0... Preview & Pages 5.2 should also be able to open the .docx files of Word 2008 (or newer) I have not tested all possible word files but, on a Mac, these ought to work.

On my system with Mac OS X 10.5.8 , I was able to use NeoOffice 3.1.2 patch 9 and Pages 4.0.5 (852) via iWork 09 (Preview 4.2 cannot open Word files 97-2004)... as noted above, OO 3.4.1 as well as 4.0 will mangle the MathType graphics. Pages on Mac OS X 10.5.8 will also open xml docx files with embedded Mathtype graphics, again without issue.
Open Office 4.0 & Mac OS X 10.5.8 ; OO 4.1 & Mac OS 10.9.5