Saved .odt corrupted

Discuss the word processor
Jukebox3282

Saved .odt corrupted

Post by Jukebox3282 »

I was working on a school short narrative story, then my power went out. I saved it manually about 8 min before the outage. When i open it, it is filled with #'s. Any help?

Edit: If it makes any difference, the restore failed.
OpenOffice4 on Windows 7
hershel

Re: Saved .odt corrupted

Post by hershel »

You can recover that only if your backup is enabled.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Being on Windows 7, even if you didn't have the backup enabled, there's a chance of recovering an earlier version.
Note that if an earlier version is recoverable there may (and probably will) be information missing.
Under Windows, not AOO, open the folder that contains your corrupted file.
Next, select the corrupted file, then right click on it and select Restore Previous Versions
There is no guarantee that this will work, but it is an option for you to try.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Jukebox3282

Post by Jukebox3282 »

Backup was not on.
Downloaded Recuva did a full system deep scan. Searched for the .tmp directory of Open Office, I found no deleted .tmp's. (I do however have some others, not sure how I convert the .tmp into the original text file. Please explain?)
Does not have a previous version to restore to, as that feature is turned off.

The story was 8 1/2 pages long using a size 12 font. I really don't want to have to re-do it, it's going to take me forever... :cry:
OpenOffice4 on Windows 7
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The suggestion I made is controlled by Windows, not OO.
Did you try it?
If my suggestion is unsuccessful and Recuva didn't find anything, then I'm afraid you've got no choice but to start over.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Outside of OpenOffice rename the .tmp file to the type of file you were using; i.e. tmp -> odt if that is the case. Do not disregard files with arbitrary names such as afzxsx.tmp, as these may be temporary working files holding some of your data.
 Edit: A page in 12 pt type single line spaced is about 950 words. In double line spacing say 450 words. Anthony Trollope, a notable British writer (fl1860) composed and wrote 3000 words longhand every morning between 5 a.m. and 8 a.m.. You don't have the burden of composition if your memory is any good, so a rewrite will only take you the typing time. In any case, a second writing is often far more successful than the original. 
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

See Re: Suddenly only get ####.... can anyone help me?

Also see Using Recuva to un-delete Writer temporary files for help recovering the temporary files which Writer wrote while you were editing the document, and then deleted when Writer was closed.

The post has been extensively updated [June 2016] to show how AutoRecovery files can be un-deleted for .odt files; for files which have never been saved; and for .doc files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.