How to recover document with Error 0x800300fb

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
mjtuin

How to recover document with Error 0x800300fb

Post by mjtuin »

I saved a 3 page document I was working on for several hours. Then my computer crashed. I restarted my computer, and that document suddenly is corrupted. When I try to open it, it asks me to select ASCII filter options. I select the standard English, etc., and then it tells me the document is in use, locked for editing by an unknown user. It allows me to open it as read-only, but when I manage to open it, I get six pages of this sign: #.

When I try to apply properties to the document, I am told it is not a valid compound file, and I receive this error: Error 0x800300FB.

What is going on? How can I recover this file?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.
Open Office 3.1 on Windows 7
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: How to recover document with Error 0x800300fb

Post by thomasjk »

If you document is all ################ its corrupt beyond recovery. Because the file was open when the crash occurred there is also a .lock file. Search for and delete a file with the same name as your file but with a .lock extension. Hopefully you have a backup copy.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Hagar Delest

Re: How to recover document with Error 0x800300fb

Post by Hagar Delest »

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files still there.
Was it with OOo 3.1 (your signature)?

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10