[Solved] Fill in all address labels in template

Using them, Making them, Finding them
bunks12

[Solved] Fill in all address labels in template

Post by bunks12 »

I downloaded a template for Avery 5160 address labels (30 per page). I was wondering if there is a better or easier way to fill in all 30 labels rather using the copy and paste function?
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.1 on Windows 8.1
acknak

Re: Address label template Question

Post by acknak »

Greetings and welcome to the community forum!

If you use the built-in labels feature (File > New > Labels ...) you have the option to "sync" all labels on the page to the content in the first label (top left).

However, the built-in labels can be somewhat fiddly; a template based on a simple table, which is most likely what you have, is often simpler to work with.

If all the labels are identical, copy/paste is not so bad; it shouldn't take more than a few to fill in a page (you can do a whole row or more at a time).

If you need to fill in different information for each label, then you want to use the mail merge feature: you insert special fields where you want the information to appear, then "merge" the actual values from a data table.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
DuaneB

Post by DuaneB »

Hello acknak,
Are there Specific Instructions on How-To for Labels? Something current. This is 2023, and I see information back from Nov. 21, 2014. I've done Mail Merge in MS-Word, but now highly prefer Apache Open Office, and recommend it to my friends.
Thanks much!
Open Office 4.1.13 on Windows 10 Pro
MrProgrammer

Post by MrProgrammer »

DuaneB wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:25 pm Are there Specific Instructions on How-To for Labels?
Writer Guide - Chapter 11 - Using Mail Merge

DuaneB wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:25 pm Something current. This is 2023, and I see information back from Nov. 21, 2014.
Nothing about mail merge has changed since then. The information in the chapter above is still current. You can also read about mail merge or labels in Help → Index or searching for topics about them in the Writer Forum. There are hundreds.

DuaneB wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:25 pm I've done Mail Merge in MS-Word …
Mail merge in OpenOffice is a quite different process. Just forget about how you did it in Word. If you have specific questions about your situation, create a new topic.

If this solved your problem please go to your first post use the Edit button and add [Solved] to the start of the Subject field. Select the green checkmark icon at the same time.
Mr. Programmer
AOO 4.1.7 Build 9800, MacOS 13.6.3, iMac Intel.   The locale for any menus or Calc formulas in my posts is English (USA).
DuaneB

Post by DuaneB »

Thanks very much, Mr. Programmer.
I'm kind of new to Apache Open Office, about 9 months, and recently have need of a mail merge.
Much appreciated. Love Apache Open Office.
Open Office 4.1.13 on Windows 10 Pro
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

Mail merge requires three things:
  • a spreadsheet with the data to be merged
  • a database which must be registered
  • a document into which the data is pulled.
Many forget the second.
DuaneB wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:32 am Love Apache Open Office.
Apache Open Office is walking dead - you would be much better to use the very similar LibreOffice. See [Tutorial] Considering a Switch from OpenOffice to LibreOffice? Some Useful Information
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.