Date as a Bookmark is it possible?

Using them, Making them, Finding them
patooote

Date as a Bookmark is it possible?

Post by patooote »

Hi,

I am new using the Open Office and right now I am using Writer, I am working on a form and on this form I am using text field as a bookmarks because I am using Crossreference to copy the text field information on some other parts of my document.
I have been looking for a solution on your forum but I am not able to find it.

1- Is it possible to name a date field also as a bookmark?
I need to have the date copied to some other parts of my document with CrossRef.

2- I have use a bookmark-text fields on my form and I have one custom format field with date format, and the problem is that I am using "Tab" key to jump from one field to another but I did not jump to the Custom field with format date. I need to use the mouse to be able to click and change the date information. How can access the custom field-date format with tab too?

Thans in advance
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 8
acknak

Re: Date as a Bookmark is it possible?

Post by acknak »

This is the same question you asked here
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=34392&p=330464#p330464

No?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
patooote

Post by patooote »

Dear Acknak,
Yes, you are right, sorry to duplicate it. As I mentioned before I am new here and after I sent you the message I read that I do not suppose to suppose to post any message on the "Custom Date & Time Fields for OpenOffice Writer Forum" and I create a new post. Sorry

I read your reply:

"There's no need to use bookmarks or cross references: you can just insert the same field as many times as you like.

Use a "User Field"--they will all show the same date. You can double-click on any one of them to change the value"

- I am going to try what you suggest, but since I am new I will need to look information on how to use the "User Field". But, is it possible to use Date as a Bookmark, I will like to know how to do that.

Thank you again.
acknak

Post by acknak »

You can use a bookmark applied to just about any span of text, and that span may include a field--the field's displayed value will be referenced by the bookmark just as if it were plain text.

Select the field, then Insert > Bookmark > Name: DateMark; OK

Insert > Cross-reference > Type: Bookmarks; select the bookmark you want to refer to; Insert reference to: Reference (to copy the text value).
patooote wrote:... I will need to look information on how to use the "User Field". ...
Insert > Fields > Other > Variables > Type: User field; Name: ADate (or whatever you like); Value: 2014-11-04
Click the green check mark to create the field
Click Insert to add an instance of the field to the document. You can insert instances of the field anywhere you like. They all share the same value.

Double-click any field to change the value. If you see a number instead of a date, don't worry. Just enter whatever date you want and Writer will take it.

Here's a small sample showing both approaches:
Attachments
date_user_field_sample.odt
(12.52 KiB) Downloaded 276 times
patooote

Post by patooote »

Acknak, I tried the options you gave me but I am not able to make it work :( sorry.
On the date field, some times I will need to input today's date and some other times I need to enter a past or future date.
I will send you a copy of my file to let you know exactly what I am doing.
Thank you again.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you're doing/looking for.

From your document, it seems like something you would do with a database and merge fields in the Writer document to hold the data you want to include.

You may want to attach your sample document here so others can jump in with suggestions.
patooote

Post by patooote »

Acknak, I am stuck on the date field, I am not able to make the date field to work
patooote

Post by patooote »

Dear Ackack, I keep on trying to learn to use the Open Office Write. I assure you that I am really trying... Thank you for your help.

On the first option.
Bookmark: I insert a formatted-field and adjusted to use a date format but I face this problems:
1) I am not able to select the date-formatted field to assign it a bookmark
2) When I try to input a new date I am not able to select the content on the date-formatted field, just pressing the "tab" key as on the other fields on my form, I must use the mouse and double click on the date-formatted field in order to change the date.

On the second option.
User_field: This option do not let me change the date directly on the form, I need to double click that field, it will open the "variable" screen and change the type the new date on the "value" box.

-I really want to be able to adjust the date directly on the form, and be able to use the same date-information on some other parts of my document.

I am attaching a sample document to show you what is my problem.
Any help or suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
cross-ref date function.odt
(16.02 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
acknak

Post by acknak »

patooote wrote:... 1) I am not able to select the date-formatted field to assign it a bookmark
Position the cursor just before the field. Press Shift+Right-arrow (move cursor one step to the right). This will select the entire field.

Insert > Bookmark > ...
... I must use the mouse and double click on the date-formatted field in order to change the date.
Yes. No way around this as far as I know.

If you want the automatic date formatting, you have to use a field.

If you want a fill-in box that can be typed into directly, it only provides plain text. The user will have to do all the formatting manually.

A database entry form can provide whatever combination of entry interface and formatting you want but using a database is a completely different topic.
patooote

Post by patooote »

1) I am not able to select the formatted-data field, I tried "Press Shift+Right-arrow (move cursor one step to the right). This will select the entire field" without any luck. I had no success

2) Ok, the "User_field" is not what I need because as you said. "This option do not let me change the date directly on the form"

I will try to find some information on the Database entry form.
Thank you
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

When selecting fields the cursor has to be positioned immediately at the start of the field; if there is an intervening space, it's no good.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
patooote

Post by patooote »

RoryOF, Thank you for your advice but I really can not select the field.
I insert a Formatted Field and they I customized as a date field. I really tried to selected several time but I can not get it.
I will keep practicing. Thank you again.