[Solved] Can't use 'Print Screen' function

Discuss the word processor
CB01

[Solved] Can't use 'Print Screen' function

Post by CB01 »

Hello all,

New to computers. I am in a mapology program that requires me to document each step of my map. I am using Open Office 4.1.1 and Windows 7.
How do I use the print screen function to copy my screen to an open office word document. I have to provide a screen shot and an explanation of why I did what I did.

Any help would be really appreciated!

CB01
Last edited by MrProgrammer on Sat Oct 28, 2023 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Tagged ✓ [Solved] (corrupted registry key was the problem) -- MrProgrammer, forum moderator
Open Office 4.1.1 and Windows 7
FJCC

Re: Can't use 'Print Screen' function

Post by FJCC »

If you are on Windows 7, I suggest you use the snipping tool: Start Button -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Snipping Tool. That allows you to copy all or part of the screen by dragging the mouse with the left button held down. You should then be able to simply paste the image into the Writer document with the CTRL V command.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

If you do need or decide to use the Print Screen option, rather than the Snipping Tool, you need to use Ctrl+PrtScn (Control & your print screen button together)
This will make a copy/image of your screen that can then be pasted into another program (I usually use Paint) using Ctrl+V
Then the image can be edited/saved.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
CB01

Post by CB01 »

Thank you for youresponse and for the quickness of your response. My homework is due Tuesday.
I have tried both of these approaches. I am using a very powerful mapping program called arcGIS. It has two sub programs that I use called arcCatalog and arcToolbox. Both are locked on the right of the screen and cannot be moved. A third sub program arcMap is located in the center of the program. To the left of the map is a table of contents. That's where I show my maps, my work, so to speak.
I have been unable to get a screen shot using either with contol-print screen or alt-print screen. I can't paste into a word document or a paint document.
I have discover the 'snipping tool'. However, the snipping tool is opened by opening the windows directory on the far left. Whenever i open the windows directory, the arc catalog menu or the arc toolbox menu closes. I need a screen shot that shows which tool in the toobox i am using and where i am saving the map in the arc catalog.

I finished the assignment itself in 2 hours. It has taken me 3 additional hours and i still can't get the proper screen shot. i need a screen shot that includes the table of contents and the map and the arc toolbox directory/arc catalog directory all in one. All i get with the snipping tool is the table of contents and the ap itself. Opening the left directory seems to close the right directory.

I am at the point where i just want to throw up my hands and by Microsoft Office. My colleague had no problem using the print screen function using Microsoft Word.
I even contacted the company that makes arcMap, a company called ESRI. They have been no help.

I'm missing a step somewhere. What am I missing?
Any help would be appreciated and I appreciate your putting up with my long winded post. I'm just frustrated.
Craig
FJCC

Post by FJCC »

Using Writer versus Word should have no effect on your ability to use CTRL + Print Screen. And if you can't paste into Paint, that also suggests that Writer is not the problem. Please describe exactly the steps your are following, what keys you are pressing in what order and what menu items you are selecting. I suspect you are missing a crucial step.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
CB01

Post by CB01 »

I apologize for the delay in posting a response. I had to borrow someone else's computer to do my homework.

I finally figured out how to print screen in Open Office. I was able to use the Fn-print screen keys to print a whole screen shot. This saves me $200. I don't have to/want to buy Microsoft Office.

But, this leads me to another question. I used my laptop to print a full screen shot. Again, I used the combination of Fn-print screen. The Fn key is located at the bottom left between the Cntl key and the Microsoft icon key.

Now I have a new problem. My desktop keyboard does NOT have an Fn key. So, the Fn-print screen combo won't work.

So my next question is: How do I print screen using Open Office, from a keyboard that doesn't have an Fn key.I don't want to be limited to my laptop for the entire two year graduate program.

Any help would be appreciated.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Use the Alt-Prnt-Scrn on a desktop or even a Laptop depending on its configuration. You could also use the built in WIN 7 Snipping Tool. Click on Start-->All Programs-->Accessories->Snipping Tool. It may be the task bar already. Look for the Scissors.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

CB01 wrote:Now I have a new problem. My desktop keyboard does NOT have an Fn key. So, the Fn-print screen combo won't work.
The Fn key is on the laptop because it has multi-function keys. Pressing Fn+Print Screen invokes Print Screen. Pressing Print Screen without Fn invokes a different function. Is the Print Screen key on your desktop keyboard a multi-function key?
CB01 wrote:So my next question is: How do I print screen using Open Office, from a keyboard that doesn't have an Fn key.I don't want to be limited to my laptop for the entire two year graduate program.
This a function of the keyboard and operating system. It has nothing to do with Open Office. If your keyboard doesn't have a multi-function Print Screen key, then the Fn key is irrelevant. If you have a wireless keyboard, then there may be an F-Lock key that switches between two different functions. You should be investigating a potential problem with the keyboard or Windows 7 if Print Screen doesn't work.

Print Screen Key no longer working in Windows 7?

I want to use PRINT SCREEN button but doesn't work.

Resolve unexpected Function (F1 - F12) or other special key behavior on a Microsoft keyboard
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
CB01

Post by CB01 »

I apprecite the advice. I have spent the last 6 hours trying different things. GI'm done for the night. I will try again tomorrow and let you know the results.

Once again, thank you for the replies and the speed with which the replies were posted. i have class tommorrow night from 5-10 pm. So, I have to figure it out by then.

Craig
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

A bit late for CB01's emergency, but perhaps useful for upcoming situations...

Some "sidekick tools" will pop up triggered by a certain event (click/keypress), and disappear again when an "unknown event" occurs, behavior similar to the start menu. This makes it difficult to use the PrintScreen snapshot feature, because the window/dialog/menu closes before the snapshot is taken. In some cases I have solved it by keeping the Alt key pressed while opening the toolbox, then pressing PrintScreen to create a snapshot. If that doesn't work, I use a screencam application to make a video of my actions, and snip my snaps from that.

I use CamStudio, a lightweight, simple and affordable (free, unless you choose to donate) screen recorder. Not as elegant as the commercial solutions, but better than most of them for my needs (bells and whistles really annoy me).
A couple of things to watch out for if you want to try CamStudio:
  • Make sure you decline all the offers advertised by the installer, and only install CamStudio itself. (Watch out! The last few times I installed the software, I got another ad after the CamStudio install. I almost accepted...)
    As far as I can tell, every one of those advertised applications is crap. (And that is wording it kindly. I work in ICT support at a secondary school, and most of those "offers" qualify as malware, the kind of stuff I help our students to get rid of.)
  • Download and install the optional CamStudio lossless codec. While the improvement in live videos may be insignificant, the snaps you get from that footage will be much better.
  • If you think that CamStudio is a useful tool, consider donating instead of supporting through the ads. If enough people do that, the crap on the installer may eventually go away...
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
CB01

Post by CB01 »

Hello Keme,

I will try that and see if it works. Is there a button that serves the 'Fn' function even though it is not labelled 'Fn'. Like I said, I have an 'Fn' on my laptop. But, not on my desktop. My desktop is where I do most of my work. The mapology program takes too much RAM memory and storage space. I used a friend's computer for the homework assignment. That's how I discovered the 'Fn' key in the first place.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

The only time I've seen a Fn key on a keyboard, is when that keyboard came as part of the laptop.
I've never seen one on a standard US style (101 key) keyboard.
As I already said, using Ctrl+PrtScrn creates a copy of my screen, which I can then paste into a program like Paint.
Depending on your level of technical know how, it is possible for you to run your mapology program on your desktop and use your laptop to control it.
I won't get into the details of how to do that, as it is not relevant to this forum, and does require a decent level of technical expertise.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
CB01

Post by CB01 »

I'm not that capable with computers to use the laptop and the desktop at the same time. I keep getting the same problem when I try cntrl+print screen. i cannot past into any program. I don't even think it's copying the image.
I'm going to get some sleep and try combinations of keys again tomorrow.

But, as always, I appreciate the feedback.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

CB01 wrote:I'm not that capable with computers to use the laptop and the desktop at the same time. I keep getting the same problem when I try cntrl+print screen. i cannot past into any program. I don't even think it's copying the image.
I'm going to get some sleep and try combinations of keys again tomorrow.

But, as always, I appreciate the feedback.
If the standard keyboard combination doesn't work, then you either have a hardware problem (try a different keyboard), a setting that's disabled the Print Screen key or a system problem. If you have a non-standard keyboard, then you should consult the keyboard documentation.
CB01 wrote:Is there a button that serves the 'Fn' function even though it is not labelled 'Fn'. Like I said, I have an 'Fn' on my laptop. But, not on my desktop.
Forget about the Fn key. It has nothing to do with the problem. If your desktop doesn't have a Fn key, it isn't needed.

Fn key
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

Following up on keme's post you also might like http://www.irfanview.com/
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
CB01

Post by CB01 »

I found th eproblem. There was a corrupted register key. I deleted the key and had using 'fix the problem' in windows, I cereated a new key. seems o be working now.

But, this created another problem. This time with my zip 7 program. I email a large number of maps. Ever sinceIi fixed the print screen I get an error message when trying to zip and email zip 7 files. get error message 'There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the defaults panel'.
I went to the defaults panel and there is no mail to program with which to associate the program. I use windows 7 and use Mozilla as my web browser. GMail is what I want to make my default mail program. There is no Gmail in the default programs window.

Sorry to have so many problems. Again, I have tried everything. I'm about to purchase WINZIp because that automatically associates the files with gmail.

Does the zip 7 problem have something to do with the register key i deleted and recreated? Am i just dense?
What is the problem?

Any help is appreciated.

Craig
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Gmail will not work with AOO. You can search the forum though because some folks have reported getting it working.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
CB01

Post by CB01 »

I understand. Thank you. I'll have to buy a winzip program.
Craig
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

There are plenty of programs like winzip that don't have to be purchased.. in fact the version of Windows that you are showing in your signature, CB01/Craig, comes with a program that works fine on zip files, though they do have to be zip files and have a .zip extension.
Personally, I prefer WinRAR.
CB01

Post by CB01 »

What is WinRAR?
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Similar to Winzip but handles other compression formats as well.
Their homepage is http://www.winrar.com
Of course, you can google Winrar and see what comes up.
I, personally, have been using Winrar for so long, I'm not positive when I started, but I think I was still using Windows 3.1
It is a trialware program, but I didn't notice an operational difference between trial time, after trial and before purchase, and after purchase.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

CB01 wrote:GMail is what I want to make my default mail program. There is no Gmail in the default programs window.
Gmail is webmail. It doesn't show up in Default Programs because it isn't a program on your computer. Are you using OpenOffice when you get the "no email program" message? 7-Zip doesn't have any options to "send email", so I don't understand what you're trying to do or have done in the past.
CB01

Post by CB01 »

7 zip has several options to zip or compress a file and then e-mail it. I try to zip the file and then email the file using 7 zip for both. But, I keep getting an error messge that says 'No email is associated with this program. Add email program in the Default Program menu.'
I will look for the 'Winrar' program.
All I know is I need a program that can compress large files and email them. A map isn't one document. It is a lead document with a whole lot of supporting documents that must be in the same file. Files can be anywhere from 100kb to 1 terra byte depending on the map and the amount of the supporting documents. I don't need 1 terra byte. That's for very involved maps. I'm hoping to get like a Winzip, 7 zip or a Winrar program that has some cloud storage for larger files. Winzip has Winshare for larger files. Zip 7 came with the Windows 7 operating system. I'm trying to get the best program for the least amount of cost and then configure it.
I know literally nothing about computers. Everything I know about computers comes from Microsoft Excel and from accounting software.

i appreciate the help. The companies themselves have been no help at all.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

With that message, it doesn't matter what compression program you use, you're going to get the same, or a similar, message until you actually install and configure an e-mail program.
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

With sizes like what you're talking, most of the e-mail providers (not the programs) won't allow an attachment anywhere near that big.
Even Cloud storage, unless you're willing to pay for it, doesn't come with capacities for the largest size you mentioned.
I use Dropbox, but that does keep a local copy on your computer as well as the one on the Dropbox servers... They do offer storage for the capacity needed for that largest size, but they charge for the ability to use it.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

CB01 wrote:7 zip has several options to zip or compress a file and then e-mail it. I try to zip the file and then email the file using 7 zip for both. But, I keep getting an error messge that says 'No email is associated with this program. Add email program in the Default Program menu.'
I finally found the email options in 7-zip in a submenu under the File Menu. The error message I see when using one of those options is "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action...". You need to install an email program and configure the email program to access your Gmail account. Gmail is not an email program.
CB01 wrote:I will look for the 'Winrar' program.
Can Winrar be set as an email program?
CB01 wrote:Zip 7 came with the Windows 7 operating system.
Someone may have installed it on your computer, but it doesn't come with Windows 7. Windows 7 comes with more limited "Compressed Folders" function for file compression.
CelticAngel

Post by CelticAngel »

I know this is 9 yrs later but to anyone who cant use print Screen function in 2023 I solved mine eventually by uninstalling 'One Drive'. it kept jumping in when I took my screen print by pressing the fn key first and then the Print Screen key and holding them down together for a second or two. The one drive would kick in and take a shot too. This stopped me clicking on the open office page and seeing the usual 'Paste' at the bottom. So no paste button.... no way to put the screen print on Office? At first you see the paste button occasionally but it soon vanishes. I realised that the cloud jumping in taking a shot too kept it from working. I messed about trying to stop 'one drive' from working and I stopped it for a short time. I uninstalled it today completely and I screen printed 21 shots on to open office text successfully. No problems. I hope this helps anyone else with this issue.
lw Apache OpenOffice 4.1.8