[Solved] Error 1326. Error getting file security

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
GianXXIV

[Solved] Error 1326. Error getting file security

Post by GianXXIV »

Hello, when I was updating OpenOffice I got this error while finalising the installation:

Error 1326. Error getting file security:
C:\Users\Public\Desktop\ GetLastError: 5

Now OpenOffice doesn't work and when I try to install it the same error appears. I attempted to open setup.exe with administrator rights to no avail.
Last edited by GianXXIV on Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AOO 4.1.1
Win7 x64
RusselB

Re: Error 1326. Error getting file security

Post by RusselB »

Interesting. According to the Windows website
ERROR_LOGON_FAILURE
1326 (0x52E)
The user name or password is incorrect.
Did you install anything else between the last time you were able to use OpenOffice and when you got this error?
If so, I'm going to suggest uninstalling it (if you can).
If you aren't sure, then try doing a System Restore to a date/time that you know OpenOffice was working.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
GianXXIV

Post by GianXXIV »

I did. I suspect Boxcryptor has something to do with this. When I installed it disabling Encrypting File System (EFS) as default and the PC was restarted I lost many icons on the desktop. I already uninstalled Boxcryptor activating again the EFS but the icons didn't reappear.

I've never tried System Restore. I'd like to keep this option as last resort.

EDIT: I can't benefit from System Restore as it was turned off. What would be the best place to ask advice?
AOO 4.1.1
Win7 x64
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

The folder mentioned in the error message is the Desktop folder for your Public user. During installation, AOO will try to put a shortcut in that folder. Did Boxcryptor change the security settings for that folder? Did it get encrypted? Have you tried installing other software? Have you tried installing AOO "only for me" instead of "anyone..."?

You could try asking on a Boxcryptor forum (if there is one) or a Windows 7 forum.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
GianXXIV

Post by GianXXIV »

Alright, I seem to have fixed this. And no, selecting "install for me only" and unticking "create icon on the desktop" won't help.

I downloaded Unlocker to delete the icon on the public desktop;
Then I got "Take Ownership" to gain complete control of the public desktop folder;
Finally I uninstalled OpenOffice from the control panel and not through third-party applications (like CCleaner).

Astonishing how a simple icon can generate such a mess. The installation process should be made more "flexible" too.

Thanks for the help.
AOO 4.1.1
Win7 x64
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

GianXXIV wrote:Alright, I seem to have fixed this. And no, selecting "install for me only" and unticking "create icon on the desktop" won't help.

I downloaded Unlocker to delete the icon on the public desktop;
You should have been able to delete the icon without Unlocker.
GianXXIV wrote:Then I got "Take Ownership" to gain complete control of the public desktop folder;
Taking ownership doesn't gain complete control. It only changes ownership.
GianXXIV wrote:Finally I uninstalled OpenOffice from the control panel and not through third-party applications (like CCleaner).

Astonishing how a simple icon can generate such a mess.
It doesn't. That icon is probably on most Windows systems. I have it and there's no problem.
GianXXIV wrote:The installation process should be made more "flexible" too.
How?
GianXXIV

Post by GianXXIV »

I obviously tried to delete the shortcut before using Unlocker, and it said I didn't have the required permissions to do it.
By making the installation process more flexible I mean to disregard such petty "issues" (in this case, not replacing the never-used icon in a never-used account) should they happen given the kind of problem they lead to.

Regards
AOO 4.1.1
Win7 x64
RusselB

Re: [Solved] Error 1326. Error getting file security

Post by RusselB »

There's no way for any installer to know if an account on the system is used or not.
There's already an option to install OpenOffice for just your account, rather than for all accounts on your system.
If you need OpenOffice available to multiple accounts, but don't want it on all accounts, then just grant access for the alternative accounts to access the OpenOffice files.
I have done this, and did not have any trouble, but I don't know your level of knowledge regarding those types of operations.

If you tell Windows to install a program for all users, then access for all user accounts, whether used or not, will be granted to OpenOffice.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

GianXXIV wrote:I obviously tried to delete the shortcut before using Unlocker, and it said I didn't have the required permissions to do it.
Then something's not right on your system. You should be able to delete the icon from a standard user account if you provide an administrator password. You should also be able to delete the icon from an administrator account without providing a password.
GianXXIV

Re: [Solved] Error 1326. Error getting file security

Post by GianXXIV »

Lads, as I said, the issue was probably caused somehow by Boxcryptor which led to OpenOffice unsuccessful update (thereby causing AOO to fail to start afterwards) because the installer wasn't able to replace the icon - one of the few to be non-deletable. Of course I can delete it now.
AOO 4.1.1
Win7 x64