Writer changes my documents to "text encoded" on its own

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
curiousdee

Writer changes my documents to "text encoded" on its own

Post by curiousdee »

When I try to open it a box named "ASCII filter alternatives" appears, and I'm asked to choose character set, default font, language and paragraph break. I just leave the pre-selected suggestions as they are and click okay. When my document opens the text has become encoded. Instead of my original text it looks like this:"#######################################################################################################################"
When I open Save as, it says the file has changed itself to Text encoded (.txt), but the file name still ends with .odt I didn't change the file type, I just clicked the save-button and closed it as usual last time I had it open.
Is there a way to get my original text back?
Someone on an old thread said that I could fix it if I open it as a zip file but it refuses to open.
Help please. The file is irreplaceable.
OpenOffice 3.3 on Windows 8
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: Writer changes my documents to "text encoded" on its own

Post by thomasjk »

Unfortunately your file is completely corrupted and cannot be repaired. Hopefully you have a backup copy. A backup copy maybe in the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look in the OpenOffice backup directory, pointed to by /Tools /Options/ Paths/ Backups and see if there is a bak file. Also look in /Tools /Options/ Paths/ Temporary Files and rename any files with arbitrary names to the correct filetype and see if they open with any of your information. Run PhotoRec or Recuva and see if a deleted version can be found.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
curiousdee

Post by curiousdee »

The backup folder is empty and there are no temp files. I don't understand how I can copy the file turning it into a zip so I'm able to extract it, can you please explain that step?
curiousdee

Post by curiousdee »

I can attach my file in here; if anyone is kindly willing to try the zip method. I couldn't figure it out myself.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

An OpenOffice file, using any of its native formats such as .odt, .ods, etc, is a zipped archive, renamed to .odt (or as the case may be) for ease of identification. As it is a simple rename, the internal structure of the file is already correctly an archive.

In Windows Explorer right click on the file and choose "Rename". Change the .odt to .zip; then double click on the file and the system archive manager will attempt to open it. You should then see a small collection of folders and files. The text is stored in content.xml, from which it may be extracted. Caveat: it is likely that the archive has been damaged in its construction and it may only open partially or not at all.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
curiousdee

Post by curiousdee »

I tried renaming it, but it still won't open. Says: "Cannot open file as archive."
Am I doing something wrong?
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

No. If the zip archive won't open the file then your file is corrupted beyond repair.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RCSLTD

Post by RCSLTD »

This is the problem I am having with MY CALC files...same window pops up...and it ONLY affected my CALC files.

SO....THERE IS ANOTHER INSTANCE OF THIS "CORRUPTION" that has happened and VERY RECENTLY.

VERY INTERESTING...

RCSLTD
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Windows 7 Professional
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

@RCSLTD: This is obviously not the same problem. This is one file which has no data. This is often caused by a mechanical problem, such as loss of power or disconnection of the drive at a critical point. Your problem is all files with modified data.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
RCSLTD

Post by RCSLTD »

Different problem due to different user...different file...different pc.

SAME RESPONSE....Text Import window...ASCII Character window...opening when document is accessed.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 Windows 7 Professional
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

RCSLTD wrote:Different problem due to different user...different file...different pc.
No, different problem because the problem is different, not because the user, file or pc is different. Different users, files and pcs can have the same problem, but in this case the problems are different.
RCSLTD wrote:SAME RESPONSE....Text Import window...ASCII Character window...opening when document is accessed.
Yes, same response because that's the expected response to ANY corrupt file being opened.
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04