Upgraded to 4.1.1 now can't open document from old version

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
skydivesg

Upgraded to 4.1.1 now can't open document from old version

Post by skydivesg »

I upgraded to the 4.1.1 and now when I try to open a document from the older version I keep getting a ASCII Filter Options window asking me to set the properties for Character set - Default font - Language and Paragraph break. This happens every time I try to open an older document.

I go through the process but all I see in the document instead of letters is hashtags (pound signs) ie. ## # #### # ###.

Can someone help me? I am not literate in computer speak. I'm a pretty basic user.

Thank you in advance
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on Windows 8
acknak

Re: Upgraded to 4.1.1 now can't open document from old versi

Post by acknak »

Welcome to the community forum!

Sorry to say but the ASCII filter options window and the # symbols are a strong indication that the files are damaged. If you see only # symbols when you open the file, it means there is no recoverable data.

The only solution is to restore the documents from a backup copy. If you don't have a backup, you can check in OO's temporary file location--sometimes there are intact copies of recently-edited files there.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
Hagar Delest

Re: Upgraded to 4.1.1 now can't open document from old versi

Post by Hagar Delest »

See: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.
But this has nothing to do with the upgrade. You can try to reverse to the former version but I doubt it will help.
What was the former version by the way?

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files still there.

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10