Problem with running after install

Issues installing under the Mac OSX - X11 - Aqua
joshtb86

Problem with running after install

Post by joshtb86 »

I have mac osx 10.5.2 with the most recent x11 installed. When I try to run openoffice, it starts, x11 starts, then i get nothing except the x11 terminal. eventually i get an error box that says the command has timed out and i click ok, then it just hangs. i have to force quit open office every time and none of the menu options work (they are grayed) nothing pops up no intro screens nothign at all. any ideas what to do here?
keme
Volunteer

Re: problem with running after install

Post by keme »

Two possible causes:
- You downloaded for the wrong CPU. Make sure you have the Intel version if you have an Intel CPU, and the ppc version if you have a ppc (G4/G5) CPU.
- You're running OOo from the dmg file. Try dragging the Openoffice icon from the disk image file into the Applications folder, then start it from there.

If none of the above fits, you may have a bad download. Try downloading again.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
joshtb86

Post by joshtb86 »

ive redownloaded to no avail and its for the right cpu
joshtb86

Post by joshtb86 »

anyone have any other ideas?
davidb

Post by davidb »

Try the version that does not need X11 from here

http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html

or NeoOffice. Good luck
OOo 3.30 on Mac OSx other + Windows XP
keme
Volunteer

Post by keme »

joshtb86 wrote:ive redownloaded to no avail and its for the right cpu
No offense intended, but did you read my second suggestion (you replied in some detail about the first and last, which made me suspect you may have missed a line...).
Reading (and possibly attempting to update status and settings files) on a disk image file can be rather slow compared to physical disk access, so the timeout message suggests that you may find the cause there.
Apache OO 4.1.12 and LibreOffice 7.5, mostly on Ms Windows 10
joshtb86

Post by joshtb86 »

i read it im not running it off the image, its in the applications fodler
theweej

Post by theweej »

I have/had the same experience as described (today). I did try to run from the dmg file (new mac owner). I moved it over to applications and can run, but it will not exit correctly, I have to force quit and then recover document. Any ideas?
sirlansa

Post by sirlansa »

I have the identical problem described by the initial poster.
My by-pass has been to leave the terminal window open, close the error msg (time out) and reopen the Openoffice icon in the dock once or twice more. Eventually it opens and runs fine.

However I consulted this forum in the hopes that I could get rid of all these extra steps. So I'm still looking for a fix, not a by-pass!
wgrudd

Post by wgrudd »

I have similar problem. I downloaded the Mac Intel version onto my MacBook Pro with 10.4, dragged the icon into Applications, and it appeared to install. When I double click on the app, it starts up, but offers only the File and Edit menus, with the only option being Edit Script. It sits there like that for a while, then quits. Suggestions??
wurzel
Volunteer

Post by wurzel »

To all,

There are loads of threads on this problem in this forum (the Mac forum), and several suggestions for getting around it. The problem is Apple's new implementation of X11, which has screwed things up. Don't ask Apple to fix it, they probably couldn't care less. The guys from the OOo development team probably won't fix it either, simply because the Aqua development version is now sufficiently advanced to be usable on a daily basis. The Aqua version doesn't need the X11 windowing environment, it is a native Mac OS app (to all intents and purposes). The following solutions have been proposed (you can try all of them):

1) Download and install NeoOffice

2) Download and install OpenOffice.org Aqua beta (you can get these via FTP download from the good-day server :
ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/Open ... rg/MacOSX/

Look for the Beta 3 folder. In it you will find a version to suit your language and processor (Intel or PPC).

3) Start OpenOffice.org 2.4.0 for X11 from an xterm terminal. To do this, first start the X11 application, then from within the xterm window you should type :

/Applications/OpenOffice.org\ 2.4.app/Contents/MacOS/swriter

and press enter.

Alex
nmgeek

Post by nmgeek »

OOo 2.4.X on Mac OSx Leopard
BSD

Post by BSD »

I had the same problems. After installing Leopard I couldn't open Open Office any more. So I installed Open Office version 3,0 Beta, MacOSX Intel Aqua at the site http://download.openoffice.org/3.0beta/... and now I can open it!

Try it and see if it works and let me know.

Good Luck,
BD
OOo 3.0.X on Mac OSx Leopard