77 pages of my file suddenly show only "pound sign (#)"

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Step behind

77 pages of my file suddenly show only "pound sign (#)"

Post by Step behind »

All the 77 pages of my file suddenly show only "pound sign (#)". When that first happened, I thought the file had been encrypted and I would just have to undo that, somehow. I paid a geek to undo that, but, after one day of work, he said the file had been corrupted. I have always used OpenOffice on Windows 8 and my computer is protected by Norton and also by Malware.
My question is: What can OpenOffice do to recover that file?
I also would like to know why and how did that happen, so I can make sure it doesn't happen again.
Thank you for any help.
Last edited by thomasjk on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited title to for a better descrption.
open office 4.1.1 windows 8
RusselB

Re: Help...!

Post by RusselB »

Read Hagar's post in the topic at viewtopic.php?f=6&t=72424

We don't know why it happens, so we have no idea as to how to prevent it.

This now makes 3 posts of a similar nature within 3 days, after going for months with no reports like this.
Additionally, not everyone is having this problem.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
Step behind

Re: 77 pages of my file suddenly show only "pound sign (#)"

Post by Step behind »

So you and your friends gonna try to find out the answer and let me know? I really, really need help!
open office 4.1.1 windows 8
thomasjk
Volunteer

Re: 77 pages of my file suddenly show only "pound sign (#)"

Post by thomasjk »

Step behind wrote:So you and your friends gonna try to find out the answer and let me know? I really, really need help!
Uhhh. No. If we knew the solution we would have already told you. If you read the links posted you will see your document full of ############### is not recoverable. Do try the suggestions in the Hagar's post that is linked above. Hopefully you have a backup copy.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2