Document ruined after saving - puts 263 pages of ###

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
BrenlyAdams

Document ruined after saving - puts 263 pages of ###

Post by BrenlyAdams »

Hi,

I'm having a problem with a document I was writing. It was only four pages long. I saved it, but when I tried to open it later, it asks me for what character set I want to use and shows me 263 pages of #############. The file is also huge compared to other documents I've written. It is 1.4 MB, while other short documents I've written are about 24 KB. What happened? Can I recover what was lost? This has happened before, and I've lost important documents. I'm using Open Office 4.

Thanks
OpenOffice 4.0 on Windows 8
RusselB

Re: Document ruined after saving - puts 263 pages of ###

Post by RusselB »

This sounds very familiar. Unfortunately the Search engine isn't allowing me to use what I think would be a good search term.
I will continue trying to find the post(s) I'm thinking of, and get back to you as soon as I can.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Unfortunately the file is not recoverable. See viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17677. Check the user profile viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426 for filename.bak.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Thanks thomas. Those were posts I was referring to earlier.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.