Corrupt File recovery/Translating raw ASCII data to Text

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
A_Mustang

Corrupt File recovery/Translating raw ASCII data to Text

Post by A_Mustang »

On the course of working on a document in open office docs, another program I had open and working at the time suffered a systemic failure, freezing and corrupting a essential process. The process immediately proceeded to slowly corrupt my laptop, as it continued to attempt to function. In order to prevent further corruption, I cut power and forced a hard shutdown, then restarted and reverted to the previous session's backups. While this recovered the process and prevented any lasting damage, Open Office was open at the time of crash the open file was corrupted with the infamous ##########. Using Recuva, I managed to recover a copy of the document, however it seems to be in the form of raw ASCII data, dated to the day of crash. It contains the same header, and same amount of information. However, I have been unable to translate or otherwise extract anything from the resulting mess.

Searching across the forum, I found another case that seems extremely similar, here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=66105&p=293682&hilit=ASCII#p293682

While I did attempt to use the fix offered at the end of that thread, (Here: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=57099#p253571)
I was unable to find and employ any of the programs used, leading me here. So, in short, I'm trying to pull text from a pile of raw ASCII Data, help please?

Other relevant information:
I was using open office 3.1 at the time, and since then updated to 4.1.0
The document was always saved in native .odt format
Running Windows 7 home premium OS
The 'Always save document on closing' option was unknown and unused at the time, this has been rectified.
Due to profession, I have long spans were I am unable to connect and use the internet. This crash occurred near the end of one of those spans, but it was still two weeks before I could regain contact.
I have copies of the original corrupted files (All ###), and well as the damaged retrieved one (raw ASCII)
Roughly 75-85% of my hard drive disk space is in use.

Thanks in advance.
Apache Open Office 4.1.0 on Windows 7
Hagar Delest

Re: Corrupt File recovery/Translating raw ASCII data to Text

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Sadly, quite nothing to do I fear, see: 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs.

Check the temporary folder of the system (see in OO Tools>Options>OO>Paths). If there are folders like sgmlf.tmp with a file having the same name inside, make a copy of that file, rename it in .odt and cross your fingers. If you have not rebooted, you might have those files still there.

If you want to help fix this problem, you can also do this survey created for this very problem: Document Recovery Survey.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Cambo27

Post by Cambo27 »

Hi all

I have the same predicament.

File has corrupted - comes up with funny text requests when I try to re open now.

I think it stems from me closing the computer down too fast.

There seem to be numerous third party solution on offer (it's obvious a well known glitch) - I've tried most of them - they offer much and deliver zilch.

Having a Systems Analyst background I'm pretty disappointed this hasn't been rectified. There's so much web traffic on this issue for well over four years.

That said if any boffins out there in cyberland have any new suggestions on how to recover files - I'd love to hear.

regards

Cambo
Cambo

OpenOffice 4.1.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

What is a "funny text request"?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
acknak

Post by acknak »

Cambo27 wrote:... any new suggestions on how to recover files - I'd love to hear. ...
See the topic Hagar linked to above ("22 pages ...") for some specific suggestions.

Or, attach your file here so we can take a look at it (or send it privately: PM or EMAIL buttons at right). You can use the "Upload Attachment" link (below the message entry area after you click "POST REPLY"). For tips on posting large or confidential documents, see: [Forum] How to attach a document here

If you open your document and see only # symbols, it's hopelessly damaged. If you see other symbols, then there is some chance for recovery.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23