[Solved] Converting from odt to rtf - IN MASS

Discuss the word processor
GlassesG33k

[Solved] Converting from odt to rtf - IN MASS

Post by GlassesG33k »

My question is a quick and easy one, or I hope it is.

I have a TON of files that are saved as Open Office and need to convert them en'mass to RTF files.
Is there any way I can do this?
Is there any way to convert a large or even several files at once (Even if it's no more then say 5 at a time) to RTF (or any other format)?

Well, I'll be waiting with baited breath for an answer and Thank You very very much in advance to anyone in who does stop by and help me out.
=-)

G.G.
Last edited by RoryOF on Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added [Solved] and green tick. [RoryOF, Moderator]
OpenOffice Version: 4.1.7

Operating System -- Windows 10 Home 64-Bit (10.0 Build 18362)
System Model -- HP Pavilion x360 Convertible 15-dq0xxx
Processor -- Intel Core i7-8565u CPU @ 1.80GHz ( 8 CPUs) ~ 2.06GHz
Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Converting from odt to rtf - IN MASS

Post by Villeroy »

GlassesG33k wrote:My question is a quick and easy one, or I hope it is.

I have a TON of files that are saved as Open Office and need to convert them en'mass to RTF files.
Is there any way I can do this?
Is there any way to convert a large or even several files at once (Even if it's no more then say 5 at a time) to RTF (or any other format)?

Well, I'll be waiting with baited breath for an answer and Thank You very very much in advance to anyone in who does stop by and help me out.
=-)

G.G.
ODF is the new RTF and OpenOffice does not provide any tool to revert back to the old format. A simple WinWord macro should do this job perfectly. Recent versions of Word can open ODF
Last edited by Villeroy on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Only option I can think of, is to use Zamzar
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

ODF is the new RTF and OpenOffice does not provide any tool to revert back to the old format. A simple WinWord macro should do this job perfectly. Recent versions of Word can open ODF
The reason I ask is because I have some OLD files from the older versions of Open Office that will no longer open for me, instead I get these funky like lines of punctuation more or less, with letters and numbers thrown in here and there.
The few files I had saved as RTF Files from way back when, I'm still able to open them and they are still functioning (a.k.a. readable). So I decided that it would be best to save all my current files as RTF.

If there's some way to salvage old (like from 2003 and 2004) ODT or Open Office files and open them in today's Open Office Program then I'd be incredibly grateful. So if anyone knows how to do this then I'd take the info most definitely.
But overall what I currently need is a way to convert what I do have into RTF Files in LARGE quantities.
and I mean LARGE.
(I've been writing several books *blsuh!*)

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

RusselB wrote:Only option I can think of, is to use Zamzar
Well, thank you very much but sadly this does not convert to RTF. I went and took a look and RTF isn't even offered.
Though the next time I need to convert my MOV files into Windows Movie Maker Files I'll go check this web site out. =-)

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
romar

Post by romar »

You might try something like this: Doxillion Document Converter

Not an expert but it did work on a couple files for me...
"write what you will -
but do it from the heart"

I use a Lenovo All-In-one computer running Windows 10...
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

Zamzar does convert to RTF.
While the description of the site indicates video, they do a lot more than just video.
Simply select RTF in the drop down box at stage 2 (you do have to scroll through the list a bit to find it, but it is there).
Additionally, Zamzar will try to make conversions that aren't specifically listed on their site, if you contact them
SUPPORT - Got a file you can't convert ? Just email us and we'll ask our dedicated engineers to take a look for you.
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

Oddly enough (I tried it twice) when I upload my ODT files the drop down list shortens to only a few items offered.
If you just look at the drop down menu while there's no files loaded then it does seem to offer RTF, but when I put the files I want to convert in there's no longer an RTF Option.
So I'm still not sure what to do, unless I'm missing something.

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

A bit of a pain, but you can do it as a double submission.
Submit your .odt file to convert to .pdf, then submit the .pdf to convert to .rtf
Alternatively, e-mail them directly for conversion from .odt to .rtf, as mentioned in my quote of their support line.
floris v
Volunteer

Post by floris v »

Please keep in mind that the support of RTF in AOO is terrible. RTF should be the last file type to save in from AOO. Even save as .doc (Word) would be better.
OpenOffice 4.1.11 on Ubuntu; LibreOffice 6.4 on Linux Mint, LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Ubuntu
If your problem has been solved or your question has been answered, please edit the first post in this thread and add [Solved] to the title bar.
Nederlandstalig forum
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

floris v wrote:Please keep in mind that the support of RTF in AOO is terrible. RTF should be the last file type to save in from AOO. Even save as .doc (Word) would be better.
sorry but what does AOO mean? *Blush!*

And I'll keep this in mind.
=-)

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

AOO = Apache Open Office
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

RusselB wrote:A bit of a pain, but you can do it as a double submission.
Submit your .odt file to convert to .pdf, then submit the .pdf to convert to .rtf
Alternatively, e-mail them directly for conversion from .odt to .rtf, as mentioned in my quote of their support line.
Wow, lot of trouble but thanks, I never thought of this.
I'll keep this in mind for the future =-)

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

RusselB wrote:AOO = Apache Open Office
Ah! okay. =-D! *BLUSH!* =-D!

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
GlassesG33k

Post by GlassesG33k »

Well, thank you to the two people who tried to help and answer my question here.
Thankfully I was able to find a program that would change documents in mass from ODT files to RTF files.
The link is here, http://www.office-converter.com/ODT-to-RTF
And the name of the site is Office-Converter dot com for anyone else in need of this kind of help.

So thank you to anyone who did answer me and I hope that this little topic can help someone else in need.
=-)

G.G.

(P.S. I don't know how to mark a topic as Answered so if someone could do that for me I'd be really grateful. Thanks! *waves!* =-D! )

Memory -- 8192 MB RAM
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

To mark your topic as Answered/Solved, go to your first post in the topic, click the Edit button, and put [Solved] at the front of the Subject line.
Lupp
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Converting from odt to rtf - IN MASS

Post by Lupp »

(Despite the topic being marked as solved.)

@GlassesG33k - From your 2014-08-25 21:33 post:
The reason I ask is because I have some OLD files from the older versions of Open Office that will no longer open for me, instead I get these funky like lines of punctuation more or less, with letters and numbers thrown in here and there. ...
If there's some way to salvage old (like from 2003 and 2004) ODT or Open Office files and open them in today's Open Office Program then I'd be incredibly grateful.
Would you mind attaching one (some) of the dysfunctonal files(s)? Are they actually .odt (and not .sxw .fodt or even .sdw) format? I would like to check every type with other means.
On Windows 10: LibreOffice 24.2 (new numbering) and older versions, PortableOpenOffice 4.1.7 and older, StarOffice 5.2
---
Lupp from München