Spreadsheet Password Not Allowing Access to Files

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
Rob M

Spreadsheet Password Not Allowing Access to Files

Post by Rob M »

Been using AOO for years and I now cannot open my spreadsheets which are password protected. I have reviewed previous threads but none on the suggestions has worked for me so far. Keep getting a box telling me password is no good even though I know it is. How can I fix this ?
OpenOffice 4.1, Mac OS X 10.9
Hagar Delest

Re: Spreadsheet Password Not Allowing Access to Files

Post by Hagar Delest »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

What format do you use? Native ODF (.ods or .xls/.xlsx)?
Have you tried with a brand new file?
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Thank you.

All the files are .ods, I have tried to open a new password protected file but the software will not let me use the password function, same base problem I imagine ?
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

I did it a couple of days ago and it worked fine. Can you post a sample file with the associated password so that we try (see How to attach a document here)?
NB: as a first shot, you can try to reset your OpenOffice user profile.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I tried the reset without success. I will try the "Still not fixed" method as well but my menus look different that you suggest so can you clarify what I should try to change from what you see in the attached Screen Shot.
Screen Shot 2014-08-12 at 13.06.03.png
I have a simple spreadsheet template I can post with its password. But first, I need to remove meta-data and I am unclear how to do this since the file is locked can you advise on this ?
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

You should rename the user directory. As long as OpenOffice is running (or its Quickstarter) Windows won't permit you to rename. Either close all components or use TaskManager (Ctrl Shift Esc) and kill any soffice processes shown on TM's Processes tab, then rename the user directory.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Changed name of "user" to "user robert" but made no difference used Activity Monitor (Mac) to ensure no processes running for AOO. It asks me to register again and then adds a new "user" see Screen Shot.
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 11.24.19.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 11.24.19.png (16.21 KiB) Viewed 23297 times
I can post a protected file w/password but can't seen to clear meta-data (as recommended by this Forum) any advice ?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Cannot access many files because my password no longer works, need these files please respond. I have been using this system for 8 years and suddenly I can't get into the files, there must be a fix for this ?
Attachments
ExpSheet copy.ods
Password: Saignon
(10.29 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Opens OK for me using OO 4.1.1 RC2. I suggest renaming your OO User Profile, details at
[Tutorial] The OpenOffice User Profile
 Edit: Sorry - I see from rereading the thread that you have tried the profile reset. Perhaps you should revert to an earlier version of OO. I see so much trouble with passwords that I don't password files using OpenOffice. Instead I limit access to their directories. 
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Thanks...that's interesting that you can open my file and I can't ? I will try reverting to a previous OO. Something seems to be blocking any access to a password either newly creating one or trying to use an older one.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Downloaded 4.0.1 and file password does not open. Created new file without password and no problems then tried to password protect and received box stating "Error saving document..., General Error, General input/output error"
Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 12.09.31.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-14 at 12.09.31.png (20.68 KiB) Viewed 23279 times
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Normally a general input/output error occurs because OpenOffice does not have access rights to the target directory. It can also occur if OO does not have access to some area it uses as a temporary directory. And computers being computers, no doubt there are other reasons also! Remember that passwords are case sensitive.

A trick often used with passwords is to write the password in the most basic editor available (Notepad on a Windows PC - I don't know what for a Mac) and Copy the password and paste it into the password request box. Then one can be certain that the exact password has been used, with no peculiar encodings.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I have checked the password using Mac's TextEdit copied/pasted and still no entry.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Just to confirm: these files are on the main drive of the computer? Have they been transferred from an earlier computer? If so, how?
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Yes main drive. They were transferred form my previous iMac last November using the Apple Time Machine back-up disk. I have not had problems until now. Apple is having me check the hard disk for any form of file corruption.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

File corruption of an OpenOffice file would normally show up as the dreaded ASCII filter message. If this were occurring on a Windows machine at this stage I'd suggest removing OpenOffice entirely, using something like Revo Uninstaller. Also removal of the User Profile directory, a computer reboot, then a reinstall of OO from a new download.

Do you remember what was the latest version of OpenOffice with which these files opened? You could reinstall that, open the files using it, and save them unpassworded. I don't like the fact that you weren't able to save a new file with a password and a later OO. Perhaps a Mac forum volunteer will test that and comment.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Apple believe it to be an OO internal problem and have also recommended action stated in your first paragraph. I have tried 4.0.1 but same result.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I tried it on OO 4.1.0 on XP and on Xubuntu 14.04: both opened it without problem. I'd like some Mac user input.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Robert, have you access to the older computer? Which version of Mac OS X does/did it run?

If the files are opening on our computers there will be no problem releasing them from the password for you.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Unfortunately, I sold the old iMac (OS X 7) my only other computers are iPads don't suppose I could access on them ?

Thanks for offering to release my files it's a good thought will bear in mind if all else fails.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

As suggested by Apple and Rory, I uninstalled OpenOffice completely, restarted, and reinstalled a fresh OO 4.0.1. The problem continues.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Rob

I attach a sample spreadsheet, password Test. Would you please try to open this on your computer
Attachments
Passworded.ods
Sample passworded sheet, password "Test" (no quotes, observe initial capital letter)
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 682 times
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

Thanks but no success, did not open with Test.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

Password.ods opens for me on WIN 7 and Libreoffice 4.2.6.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The problem is either with Mac O 10.9 or with Rob's computer. If some Mac user would confirm that the passworded files on this thread do actually open with Mac OS X 10.9 then we would have the problem localised to the actual computer and its setup.
Rob M

Post by Rob M »

I have managed to bypass the password on my Calc files by using an old Win XP laptop to open and remove the password. It is because of Rory's feedback that I was able to do this for which I thank him. The bug, if that's what is, is still on my Mac and it will be interesting to see if it's unique to my machine. I will not be using AOO passwords in the future as this has made me very aware of what can go wrong.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

My own feeling is that if one needs security on a file(s), best to keep them all in the one directory or subdirectories and encrypt it using WinZip or similar. Alternately keep them on an external USB hard disk, observing USB protocols of course.
Samewell

Post by Samewell »

I've also hit this problem today. None of my P/W protected spreadsheets will open, however I can open copies which have been saved previously in MS Office Excel format. I've tried the OO profile delete without success, but I have found a confusing workaround. I copied my P/W protected spreadsheets to a USB stick (in OO format), then created a new id on my Mac. I logged into the new id and found I could open the spreadsheet on the USB stick witout any problem. Any Ideas?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.10.2
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If creating a new ID on your Mac allows the password protected files to open, then deleting or renaming the user profile for your regular ID should work just as well. Details on the user profile are at
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Samewell

Post by Samewell »

RoryOF wrote:If creating a new ID on your Mac allows the password protected files to open, then deleting or renaming the user profile for your regular ID should work just as well. Details on the user profile are at
viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12426
Rory, Thanks for that, but I've already tried it without success. I've gone further since and copied my USER from my regular ID into my new ID. My new ID can still open up my P/W protected files, but I see them now with all of my old ID's preferences rather than the new user defaults. Doesn't this suggest the problem is a bit deeper than OO profile?
OpenOffice 4.1.1 on MacOS 10.10.2