XLS file says Text Import and comes up blank!

Discuss the spreadsheet application
benmmm

XLS file says Text Import and comes up blank!

Post by benmmm »

I have recurring work that I have saved using cal on Open Office 3.1. Yesterday they were working and i was editing and able to view and save them. I emailed myself a copy even. Today when I attempt to open my file it pulls up the "Text Import" window, and no matter what slew of options I plug in, there is nothing that appears in the file. I have tried looking in the files for backups or temp files and came up short. I have about a month invested into this file, and the emailed attachment version does the exact same thing when I attempt to download and open that particular file. I tried updating my open office to 4.1 today and still got the same results. I can attach the file if necessary, it still says that the file is 400 kb, so I don't understand how it can be coming up blank. Please help :cry:
Open Office 3.1, now 4.1 after issues with Windows 8
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Re: HELP! XLS file says Text Import and comes up blank!

Post by jrkrideau »

What format are you saving in? XLS?
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
benmmm

Post by benmmm »

My calc files are all in xls right now when I look at them, and they all will open correctly except for the largest one
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Perhaps, your file is just broken, and there’s no remedy. However, attach the file, maybe…
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
benmmm

Post by benmmm »

File was too large to attach, again making it unclear to me how it can be an empty spreadsheet. I uploaded a mediafire link.

https://www.mediafire.com/?uhewysb2jllroe8
jrkrideau
Volunteer

Post by jrkrideau »

I'm not an expert but it looks like it's gone. Have a look at 22 pages term paper replaced with pound signs

Both gnumeric and Emacs provide a bit more info than Calc but they both agree with Calc. gnumeric says the file contains 370,780 Null characters.

The safest thing to do is always save in ods format and only export to another format when you need to. And always keep a backup in odt format. Sorry.
LibreOffice 7.3.7. 2; Ubuntu 22.04
benmmm

Post by benmmm »

God, I just dont see how my file was working just last night, saved, and closed out. Opened this morning and all of a sudden everything is lost and never able to be found again
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

This can sometimes be caused by too speedy a shut down of the computer, before the software or hardware write buffers have flushed.

Look in the temporary and backup directories used by OpenOffice (pointed to be /Tools /Options /OpenOffice : Paths); rename any .bak file to .xls and see if your data is there. On the temp directory rename files with arbitrary names/extensions to .xls and see if they have data. As a last resort, run PhotoRec or Recuva and see if it finds any deleted working files.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
benmmm

Post by benmmm »

I tried to use those two programs and nothing seemed to come up. But when looking at REALLY back dated deleted versions of my file, they are all shown in ODS format, and it shows me that everything used to be in ODS. I wasn't sure if I just didn't recognize the xls files, and mostly the icon for the xls files. Now im certain that my files WERE in ods format.....