[Solved] Turn off Spell check only in Calc

Discuss the spreadsheet application
Rajagopalanta

[Solved] Turn off Spell check only in Calc

Post by Rajagopalanta »

Hi All,

The second question is.

2. Is there a way to turn off the red wavy lines of spell check only for calc. I want those lines to come up automatically in Writer but not in calc.

Thanks

- Raja
Last edited by Rajagopalanta on Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOo 3.0.X on Ms Windows XP
TheGurkha
Volunteer

Re: Turn off Spell check only in Calc

Post by TheGurkha »

I've played around with this but I can't find a way to do it. Everything I've tried turns it off for all OOo apps.
Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn, LibreOffice Version: 4.3.3.2
Gurkha Welfare Trust
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Turn off Spell check only in Calc

Post by Villeroy »

[Tutorial] Creating a new default template
Create a default template for Calc or edit the existing default template.
Get the template's default cell style.
Assign font language "[None]" to this style.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Rajagopalanta

Re: [Solved] Turn off Spell check only in Calc

Post by Rajagopalanta »

Thanks Villeroy... Before posting here I tried whatever possible... This was like Magic...
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

Sorry for being slow, but I can’t understand, what’s so difficult about pressing/unpressing the auto-spellcheck button…
Attachments
Location of spellcheck button in Calc toolbar
Location of spellcheck button in Calc toolbar
spellcheck.png (21.53 KiB) Viewed 17951 times
AOO 4.2.0 (of 2015) / LO 7.x / Win 7 / openSUSE Linux Leap 15.4 (64-bit)
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

esperantisto wrote:Sorry for being slow, but I can’t understand, what’s so difficult about pressing/unpressing the auto-spellcheck button…
You are not slow at all. I would turn on and off the auto-checker as needed. It's a chain of misunderstanding of Rajagopalanta and mine.

Rajagopalanta assumes that OOo Writer and Calc are two different applications, which is not entirely true. Thus the auto-spellcheck applies to all components of the single office program.
Reading the subject line, I thought of a way to disable the whole spell-checking for the Calc component and setting all cells to no language is one way.
Probably, TheGurkha got the question right and provided the only correct answer. The automatic spell checking can not be turned of for one component.

@Rajagopalanta,
Are you aware that you turned off all spell-checking (not only the automatic mode) for all documents that are created from your new default template? You may override this userdefined default for selected text cells, preferably through predefined style(s) for text values.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
Rajagopalanta

Post by Rajagopalanta »

Oops... I have not following this post for long as I considered I got the solution... Thanks for pointing that out... I just tried pressing F7 in my calc document and it does not show any misspelt word... Great on my skills :-)

Thanks for correcting me.
stefanwaner

Post by stefanwaner »

I don't believe this issue is really "solved" -- at least for the Mac version.
1. The Auto Spell Check button works, but it applies to the whole of OpenOffice and cannot be set to apply only to a specific document or type of document.
2. Setting the language as "[none]" in cell formats is not possible in the Mac version as that option is not in the drop-down language list - apparently that only works for the PC version.
Mac OS 10.8.5
OpenOffice 4.1.0
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

1. The auto spellcheck button is supposed to work this way. Thus, no issue at all.
2. Are you sure that [none] is really absent? In the cell formatting dialog → font tab, open the language selection list and scroll up to the very top. If this is really the case, it’s a good reason for filing a bug report.
stefanwaner

Post by stefanwaner »

The first item in the language selection is "Afrikaans". No; there is no "[none]" in the Mac version (4.1.0), and I am not sure if this qualifies as a "bug" as opposed to a simple distinction between the Mac and PC versions.

At any rate, it is not a big deal, as one can use the spell check button as needed.
Mac OS 10.8.5
OpenOffice 4.1.0
esperantisto
Volunteer

Post by esperantisto »

I think, this does qualify as a platform-specific bug as AOO is supposed to offer the same functionality to Windows/Linux/MacOS users.