[Solved] Some wizards receive defective JRE error

Issues with installing under all GNU/Linux Distributions
dm2112

[Solved] Some wizards receive defective JRE error

Post by dm2112 »

I am using OOo 2.4.0 (openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.0-3ubuntu6) on Ubuntu 8.04. I have two Java 1.5 JREs installed on a Dell Inspiron E1505:

gij (GNU libgcj) version 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu6), and
Sun Java 1.5.0_15.

Both JREs appear in the Java section of the Tools > Options > OOo > Java options. I also have both openoffice.org-java-common and openoffice.org-gcj libraries installed. No matter which JRE is selected in the Options > Java list, the Letter, Fax, Agenda, and Web Page wizards receive the following error:

"OpenOffice.org requires a Java runtime environment (JRE) to perform this task. The selected JRE is defective."

Since the other wizards work, and so does Eclipse, I don't think the JREs are actually defective. I would like to get the wizards listed above working. Can someone please help me? Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Last edited by dm2112 on Tue May 06, 2008 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hagar Delest

Re: Some wizards receive defective JRE error

Post by Hagar Delest »

Close OOo and delete the ~/.openoffice.org2/user/config/javasettings_Linux_x86.xml file.

Thanks to add '[Solved]' at beginning of your first post title (edit button) if your issue has been fixed.

NB: moved the thread to the Linux forum.
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
mojohn

Post by mojohn »

Hagar, I'm running OOo 2.4 on Hardy. I show the availability of two jre's - Sun's 1.6.0_05 and Free Software Foundation 1.5.0. However, when I select the Sun jre and close the dialog, my selection never "sticks". When I open the dialog again, nothing is selected. I've tried it several times, even closing and re-opening OOo, to no avail.

I attempted to follow your instructions to dm2112 to delete javasettings_Linux_x86.xml, but I do not have that file on my system. Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

mojohn
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 9.10
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Either try to rename your OOo user profile (~/.openoffice.org2) or see here if that applies for you: [Solved] Kinda, Open Office won't detect Java or [Issue + workarounds] OOo 2.4 and Java.
dm2112

Post by dm2112 »

That worked. Thank you so much, Hagar, you rock!
tdmoore

Re: [Solved] Some wizards receive defective JRE error

Post by tdmoore »

After reading these posts my hopes were high, but unfortunately they did not work for me unless I missed something. Kinda new to Linux.

JRE 6 is loaded and comes up as an option in tools>options>java, but does not pin to any of my apps inside OOo. All were loaded separately as I believe these posts tried to outline.

Running Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron. I also run OOo on Windows for work (my whole team does 40 staff, no issues there with 2.4) so would like to get this resolved.

Hope someone can help me out. Thanks in advance!
Thanks in advance for your assistance!

TDM
OOo 3.1.X on Ubuntu 8.x + Windows XP
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

tdmoore wrote:All were loaded separately as I believe these posts tried to outline.
What do you mean exactly?

Have you tried to install the official (Sun's) version?
panorack

Post by panorack »

I originally posted under the thread, 'Openoffice won't detect Java'. Just to say a big thanks to Hagar de l'Est for redirecting me to this continuation and for providing the solution. Deleting the file worked and I am able to access my db's successfully.

Many thanks Hagar de l'Est for your expertise and your dedication to helping us lesser mortals.
OOo 2.4.X on Ubuntu 8.x
joneall

Post by joneall »

I am running Kubuntu Jaunty 9.04, altho to register I was obliged to say Ubuntu 8.04, as my system is not on the list.

I have the same problem, i.e., the first time I start Base and select a wizard to install a DB, it says Java is defective. Yet, the same Java works perfectly well for JAlbum, so I do not think it is defective.

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_13"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_13-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 11.3-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

$ dpkg -l sun-java6-jre
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==========================-==========================-====================================================================
ii sun-java6-jre 6-13-1 Sun Java(TM) Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 (architecture independent f

$ dpkg -l openoffice.org
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name Version Description
+++-==========================-==========================-====================================================================
ii openoffice.org 1:3.0.1-9ubuntu3 full-featured office productivity suite

So what is going on? How do I get Base to work? Does OO have an odd or specific idea about what constitutes a "defective" jre? I should say that I installed Base some time after installing the standard Open Office software. Since then, I installed some more in Synaptic manager. Am I condemned to uninstall and reinstall all of Open Office. :(

Thanks in advance.
OOo 2.3.X on Ubuntu 8.x
Hagar Delest

Post by Hagar Delest »

Had you seen a JRE selected in Tools>Options>OOo>Java?
Do you run a 32bit version of Java if you run a 32bit version of OOo? or same with 64bit? It must be the same IIRC.

Else, try to reset your OOo user profile but don't transfer your personal data during the welcome process (if you had 2.x before), configuration files from the former version might corrupt the new profile.

You can also try the official version: [Ubuntu] Installing OOo on Debian and Co.