[Issue] What could cause wizard doesn't hook up to data

Getting your data onto paper - or the web - Discussing the reports features of Base
MartinTheK

[Issue] What could cause wizard doesn't hook up to data

Post by MartinTheK »

I am following the tutorial in " Using OpenOffice Base 3" but the report wizard doesn't populate the report from the query I am using as a Data Source.

I print the report and I get some Latin in the fields-- and no title. I click on the Data Source Icon and there is none. I add the query and it gets listed, but <<still>> it isn't going into the report.

Anybody care to speculate on why this is happening? I am using version 4.1.0
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: tagged [Issue] (link to a bug report).
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Windows 8.1
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: What could cause wizard doesn't hook up to data

Post by Villeroy »

It's a known bug. Some reports work, others don't. https://issues.apache.org/ooo/show_bug.cgi?id=121160
LibreOffice handles the "old style" reports correctly.

Apart from installing LibreOffice you can use Calc as reporting engine and you can install the http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/pro ... rt-builder which substitutes the old report wizard.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
raywales

Post by raywales »

A couple of issues with this solution: (1) When using the native OpenOffice Report Wizard to generate a dynamic report on a Query, it appears that the query is not run as part of the report generating process, as described above. (2) using Oracle Report Builder 1.2.1 extension to OpenOffice 4.1.0 we have a very unstable system. It requires frequent saves of both the report and the .odb file to keep the application alive. The finished report (if you get that far) loads and displays correctly, but if you close OpenOffice and reopen it, any attempt to run the report causes a crash. It is possible to open the report for editing however.
I am connected to a MySQL database using JDBC, and the query is a join on a "Parts" table and an "Assembly" table which have an alphanumeric CHAR field as the foreign key. My current setup does not appear to generate crash reports, sorry!
(3) Selecting to generate a .odt or .ods report (Writer or Spreadsheet) does not appear to make any difference to Oracle Report Builder.
----------
I highly recommend the link "Calc as reporting engine" above. So simple, and makes editable reports with full calculation capability.
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows Vista
longi

Post by longi »

Hi!

Firstly I have to apologize about my English, which is very bad.
I've see the link with the bug and I've dowmloaded the example.It is true, it doesn't work. But if you open the report for editing, go to the "sorting element" and erase the fields you will have a correct report.
Reports nowadays seem to be angry at sorting, and it appears that this work should be made by the query.

I have no idea about programming, but Ithink this is the reason why they don't work properly.....

Regards!
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 7
LibreOffice 6.0.1 on Windows10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Thank you for your comment, longi. I think this is what you did:
Open the report for editing.
Call the form navigator from toolbar "Form Design".
Get the properties of the hidden control named "Sorting" in the form called "ReportSource" which stores the report configuration in hidden form controls.
Delete the value of that hidden control.

Yes, the report runs this way but there might be reasons why you want data sorted for reporting, particularly when the report is about some kind of ranking. The surprising thing is that any sort order defined in the underlying query of some report is ignored.

Then I tried the next work-around with my embedded HSQL WorldCup.odb: I created an identical view from the query "qReportGroupStage" and build the report from that view. Indeed, AOO will run the report but the grouping is messed up in the same way as in https://issues.apache.org/ooo/attachment.cgi?id=83521 It is obvious that AOO is not able to build this report correctly even when you convince AOO to run it.
Now I built the same report from the same view in LibreOffice 3.5 and it comes up well in both applications. All this is a horrible mess and nobody is going to fix it.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
longi

Post by longi »

Hi again!

I wanted explain in may last post that the problem should be made by the report sorting. If you avoid sorting with the wizard, but you do it with the query which is the source of the report it seems that you don't have the problem.(But it's not true, as you'll read above)

I've just dealing with the example you gave and I got some conclusions:
1 I changed in the table 'Filter' the field 'INT1', I put the number 3 instead 4, because a query didn't have any result.
2 I erased the order to sort in the hidden field of the report
3 I manipulated the query to sort the fields as in the report we want
4 Nothing was correctly (The rank field) is not correct scored
5 Returnet to the query, but the ASC order disapeared
6 I made again the same. I edited the query in SQL system.
7 I copied all code
8 In the hidden field 'CommandType' I put the value '2'
9 In the 'QueryName' erased all
10 I pasted all SQL code I copied before
11 No change in 'GroupFieldNames'
12 No change in 'FieldNames'
13 Nothing in 'sorting'
14 No change in 'RecordFieldNames'
And...Tachan! The scored of Rank is the correct.
I attach your example with other report which seems to work properly
Maybe the general trouble is about how AOoo deals with queries which have loads of bugs without solutions until now......

Good luk!
Attachments
WorldCup.7z
(103.64 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
OpenOffice 4.1.5 on Windows 10
LibreOffice 5.1 on Windows 7
LibreOffice 6.0.1 on Windows10
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Yes, the tournament-ID (INT1 in table Filter) was set to 4 which points the upcoming tournament in Brazil. In the setup forms you can use a list box to change the currently displayed tournament.
Yes, it is possible to copy the entire SQL manually into the database definition and AOO Base will produce a correct report then.
Thank you for this solution. I updated my WorldCup topic with a new database and comment.