[Solved] Converting illustrations to JPEG format

Discuss the word processor
buck61

[Solved] Converting illustrations to JPEG format

Post by buck61 »

Am using 4.1.0/Windows 7 and need to know how to convert my creations to JPEG so I can upload them to my website?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
open office 4.1.0 on Windows 7
acknak

Re: converting illustrations to JPEG format

Post by acknak »

Welcome to the community forum!

Did you try File > Export ... File Format: JPEG ?
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
buck61

Post by buck61 »

Yes, and my only option is PDF. Cannot upload PDF to my website.
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

Look at /File /Export, not at /File /Export as PDF.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
acknak

Post by acknak »

Which application are you working in? OO Draw? Impress (presentation/slides)? Something else?
buck61

Post by buck61 »

I am working in Text Document
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

In that case you need to do screen captures, using some form of screen capture program appropriate to your operating system.
acknak

Post by acknak »

Right. OO Writer is pretty much limited to print/pdf output; it can't export to image files.

I think the best you can do in that situation is either copy/paste into OO Draw, then File > Export to JPEG

Or, just use a screen capture from OO Writer. You can get a clean display of the document by FIle > Page Preview
buck61

Post by buck61 »

Tell me more about copy/paste into OO Draw, then File > Export to JPEG? This seems like a better and faster option vs. screen capture.
buck61

Post by buck61 »

OK. This is what I thought. Thanks for suggestions. There is no simple means. I will continue the Ctrl/Print Screen method. Bummer, just thought there would be some type of converter to simplify conversion. Sincerely, Buck
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

If you are uploading to a web site, you can switch to /View /Web View and save in HTML format. However OpenOffice does not produce good HTML code and the best advice is to use a different editor if you need HTML.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Re: Converting illustrations to JPEG format

Post by John_Ha »

It might be useful to export the file to a PDF, then google for PDF to image converters as there are many.

I quickly found PDF to JPG online converter which converts PDFs to JPG files. Be aware that text will display badly in a JPG because of the lossy compression algorithm - you might be best to use a lossless compression like GIF or PNG if you have lots of text and/or graphics with sharp edges. JPG should only be used for photos - never graphics (unless it uses a high pixel count and high Quality Factor when creating the JPG). PDF Converter offers the choice of JPG, PNG or TIF files.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

RoryOF wrote:Look at /File /Export, not at /File /Export as PDF.
buck61 wrote:Yes, and my only option is PDF.
Rory - I too had only PDF until I added the XHTML filter. It looks like you have a filter / add-on for exporting as JPG.

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

buck61 wrote:Am using 4.1.0/Windows 7 and need to know how to convert my creations to JPEG so I can upload them to my website?
If you just want the illustrations converted to JPG (as mentioned in the subject line), then Edit > Copy them; paste them into an image viewer like IrfanView; and save them as whatever format you want.

If you want the whole page converted to a JPG (as implied by "creations" in your post), then follow the route via a PDF as above (and compare the quality / size of JPG and PNG).

acknak

Post by acknak »

Oh, right. I knew there was an alternative; I just couldn't recall it. The GraphicsMagick suite (www.graphicsmagick.org/) includes a "convert" utility that can convert from pdf to any image format you like. Just export your Writer page to pdf and convert that to the jpeg.
buck61

Post by buck61 »

Thanks to all, especially to the moderators acknak and RoryOF. I will continue doing a screen capture. It's the only way to get high quality illustrations and text.
lockerdog

Re: [Solved] Converting illustrations to JPEG format

Post by lockerdog »

Dear acknak,

You said:
The GraphicsMagick suite (http://www.graphicsmagick.org/) includes a "convert" utility that can convert from pdf to any image format you like. Just export your Writer page to pdf and convert that to the jpeg.
I went to that page but have no idea how to install such a thing. I downloaded it and extracted it with 7Zip but couldn't figure out how to make it install. I do have a 64-bit system, if that helps. I can see they offer Q8 and Q16 versions in their installation instructions. I don't have any experience writing software code; I'm not a computer expert. Can you please explain how this thing can be installed, or direct me to a similar program that will achieve the same thing at 300 dpi or 600 dpi?

Thank you very much for your help!

John
Open Office 4.1.7
Windows 7 Home Premium
robleyd

Re: [Solved] Converting illustrations to JPEG format

Post by robleyd »

As you are using Windows, you may find the GraphicsMagick Windows Installation page helpful; the instructions seem to be quite detailed..

Make sure you download the Windows installable binary package from the link on their download page.

Note that it appears to be a command line program, not a point and click type program.
Cheers
David
OS - Slackware 15 64 bit
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15
LibreOffice 24.2.2.2; SlackBuild for 24.2.2 by Eric Hameleers