[Issue] Way to view column/row numbers in Writer?

Discuss the word processor
prr

[Issue] Way to view column/row numbers in Writer?

Post by prr »

(1) How do I view the column and row number information--that is, the exact location of the cursor, in writer?

(2) Is there a way to get this information automatically revealed on the status bar?
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged the thread as Issue (link to a bug report).
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
Hagar Delest

Re: Way to view column/row numbers in Writer?

Post by Hagar Delest »

Not yet implemented: [Issue] Write Status bar does not show cursor position (Issue 18004). You should subscribe and vote for it (up to 2 votes per issue).
LibreOffice 7.6.2.1 on Xubuntu 23.10 and 7.6.4.1 portable on Windows 10
prr

Re: [Issue] Way to view column/row numbers in Writer?

Post by prr »

OK, I gave it 2 votes. Thanks for the link.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
prr

Post by prr »

its obviously not doable on the status bar---but is there any way I can navigate through a menu to see this information?
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

If you wouldn't mind, I'm curious how this information is helpful for your task. It won't help get what you want; it's just my curiosity.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
prr

Post by prr »

Sometimes when I have a list, and one line gets moved a bit, its not always easy to re-arrange it back to normal. Sometimes, trying to eyeball an "I" and a "T" and figure out where exactly those letters are, horizontally, isn't easy without the program simply telling you.
LO 7.1.6.2 on Windows 10
acknak

Post by acknak »

Ok, thanks.
AOO4/LO5 • Linux • Fedora 23
pottypaula

Post by pottypaula »

Can I ask if there has been any resolution to this? This is a very old post but I have started using OpenOffice 4.1.0 rather than Word but miss this feature. For me, an old typewriter user, I know the Line/Column necessary for different window envelopes from experience and a display is useful.
OpenOffice 4.1.0 on Windows 7 Professional
John_Ha
Volunteer

Post by John_Ha »

If you click the Draw cursor on the Draw toolbar, the cursor position is given in the statusbar as here:
cursor pos.png
I don't know if this macro will help you - see [Solved] Macro to measure the length of text in a .odt file which actually finds the [x,y] coordinates of the cursor.
cursor.png
prr wrote:Sometimes when I have a list, and one line gets moved a bit, its not always easy to re-arrange it back to normal. Sometimes, trying to eyeball an "I" and a "T" and figure out where exactly those letters are, horizontally, isn't easy without the program simply telling you.
The trick I use when this happens is to place the cursor in a "correct" bit of text, click the Format pastebrush icon on the toolbar, and "paint the correct format" over the moved item. The paintbrush gets "emptied" each time you use it, but it is easy to click it again while the pasted format is still highlighted, so you can apply it to the next mis-aligned item.

Also, block select may help - it allows you to select a "rectangular block of text" which does not need to extend to the margins. Edit > Select mode > Block area. Now select some text.
LO 6.4.4.2, Windows 10 Home 64 bit

See the Writer Guide, the Writer FAQ, the Writer Tutorials and Writer for students.

Remember: Always save your Writer files as .odt files. - see here for the many reasons why.