Excel vs Calc

Talk about anything at all....
mepeng

Excel vs Calc

Post by mepeng »

Hello,
I am a developer for an engineering company that uses AutoCAD LT and excel mainly. I have become more and more unpleased with the limitations that excel 2003 has. I just ran into today that I can only have 2050 Conditional formatted cells in an entire workbook. This is a big limitation for some of the projects that we have underway because of the benefits of conditional formatting. I have recently started using Writer for my documents and am wondering how excel compares to Calc. Are there any limitations on the number of Conditional Formatted cells that you can have in one work book?

Another question I have has to do with open Office's Calc's integration into AutoCAD. What are the limitations on that functionality (if there are any)?

Can I please get some advice on these questions?

Thank you.
OOo 2.4.X on Ms Windows XP
Villeroy
Volunteer

Re: Excel vs Calc

Post by Villeroy »

No such limit on conditionally formatted cells and no integration with whatever 3rd-party software.
Excel is not integrated into AutoCad. AutoCad is integrated into Excel. They could simply generate ODF files independent from any office beeing installed or not. Unfortunately software companies simply assume MS software with an interface to generate the documents.
Last edited by Villeroy on Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice
mepeng

Post by mepeng »

"no integration with whatever 3rd-party software." Meaning that there are no plans to have Calc work in AutoCad?
mepeng

Post by mepeng »

So the company that is holding back with better Calc usability in AutoCAD is not OpenOffice, but AutoDesk. Thank you for the information. Are there any Major functions that are left out on purpose (or what not) from Calc that excel has?
Villeroy
Volunteer

Post by Villeroy »

Depends on what you mean with "major". When it comes to formatting, OOo is superior, some complex (or clumsy, if you know what I mean) Excel formulas are not supported. There is always a better equivalent if you rethink the formula syntax.
Please, edit this topic's initial post and add "[Solved]" to the subject line if your problem has been solved.
Ubuntu 18.04 with LibreOffice 6.0, latest OpenOffice and LibreOffice