[Solved] Open .sdw file

Discuss setup / installation issues - Add a spell checker, Language pack?
daniel123

[Solved] Open .sdw file

Post by daniel123 »

hi there,
just installed the new Apache Open Office, then i recognized that i can't open some older files (.sdw) any more. Under my older openoffice Version (i forgot what number) the files worked without Problems. (they are important) So, someone any ideas for the problem or any chance to download an older Installation file from openoffice? any comments?
thanx and greetinx from Germany, hope you understand my english :-)

daniel
Last edited by Hagar Delest on Sun May 25, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: tagged [Solved].
Openoffice 3.4.1 on Windows7
FJCC

Re: open .sdw file

Post by FJCC »

The sdw filter is now an option at installation according to this thread. Please see there for how to install it.
OpenOffice 4.1 on Windows 10 and Linux Mint
If your question is answered, please go to your first post, select the Edit button, and add [Solved] to the beginning of the title.
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Re: Open .sdw file

Post by B Marcelly »

daniel123 wrote:just installed the new Apache Open Office, then i recognized that i can't open some older files (.sdw) any more.
I suppose that you have installed Apache OpenOffice 4.1 or 4.0.
AOO 4.0 Release Notes wrote:Changes that Impact Backwards Compatibility
Module binfilter removed

We no longer read or write the legacy StarOffice file formats (files with extensions .sdw, .sdc, .sdd, etc.). Removal of this code makes the OpenOffice codebase easier to maintain. The legacy formats have never been the default format in any version of OpenOffice. Users with legacy StarOffice documents are advised to re-save them into ODF format (.odt, *.ods, *.odp, etc.) before upgrading to Apache OpenOffice 4.0. This can be done using File - Wizards - Document Converter in OpenOffice 3.x OpenOffice 1.x files (*.sxw, *.sxc, *.sxi) are still supported.
You will have to uninstall your current Apache OpenOffice, then install Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 to be able to convert your files.
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I think OO 3.4.1 will coexist with OO 4.x
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
daniel123

Post by daniel123 »

hi all, and thanx for reply...
you are right, i have installed Apache oo 4.1...
now i have uninstalled it, installed 3.4.1... finally find the option "starwriter" (sdw) to open... now i can save them to .doc or .odt
thank you very very very very much....

daniel
Openoffice 3.4.1 on Windows7