[Solved] Installation Problems - can't delete old install

Issues with installing under all versions of MS Windows
Jezzer

[Solved] Installation Problems - can't delete old install

Post by Jezzer »

Hi All,

I had Open Office 4.0.1 on Windows 8, 32 bit. It worked fine. I saw the upgrade to Open Office 4.1.0 and I upgraded without uninstalling the previous upgrade. It didn't take.
I uninstalled it, and tried to reinstall 4.0.1 but that didn't work. I tried several times to reinstall either one, getting fresh downloads from different mirror sites. deleting everything that I could see relating to open office from my downloads, program files, temporary files, desktop, recycle bin and even the browser history each time. I've even tried system restore. None of that has worked.
It didn't matter which version I tried to download and install, I always got the same error message, popping up when the copying new files progress indicator is approx 3/4 of the way across its bar. The message said:
Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file 'D:\\WINDOWS\Installer\openoffice401.msi.'
I put a post in the wrong place describing that (apologies), and was given the advice to check if there was an openoffice401.msi in folder ..\WINDOWS\Installer ? (and directed to this forum).
I checked that and found an entry there which I deleted. I've now come to this forum because I still can't install 4.1.0; but the error message is now different.
Now when attempting an install I get the message saying that a network resource is unavailable; and asks me to find an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package openoffice 401msi in the box below: source: D:\users\Jerry\Desktop\ OpenOffice4.0.1 (en GB) Inst:
It then tells me then that that file cannot be found, and I should verify I have access to that location, or try to find the installation package 'openoffice401.msi in a folder from which I can install the product Open Office 4.0.1
Of course I have deleted that from anywhere I could see it, and of the opinion it no longer exists; but could it be hiding somewhere not obvious?
I then get another pop up box telling me Error 1714 The older version of Open Office 4.1.0. cannot be removed. Contact your local support group.
It all very confusing. Is it made worse by the fact the my previous working install was (en GB) and the only latest update I could see, and tried to install, was (en US). Is there actually a GB version anywhere? Even looking at the fresh downloads of my old 401 was now (en US) not (en GB).
I would much prefer a GB version of the 410, with a GB dictionary, if anyone get could get me sorted out of this very messy failed installation.
Thanking you in anticipation of someone being able to make some sense of this!
Last edited by Jezzer on Wed May 14, 2014 1:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Open Office 4.1.10 on Windows 10 (topic 105178)
plino

Re: Installation Problems - can't delete old install

Post by plino »

Is OpenOffice still listed in your Control Panel's Add/Remove Program list? You should remove it from there if it is...

You can always get other languages from
http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
you can get to it on the main Download page by clicking on "Get all platforms, languages, language packs"
AOO 4.1.3 x86 (32bit) and LO 5.2.2 x64 (64bit)
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Hi Plino, Thanks for your advice; but I can't uninstall it from there either. Its still shown as being there (though I have got rid of its icon!). When I try to uninstall it from there I get the same message saying that a network resource is unavailable; and asks me to find an alternate path to a folder containing the installation package openoffice 401msi in the box below: source: D:\users\Jerry\Desktop\ OpenOffice4.0.1 (en GB) Inst:
It then tells me then that that file cannot be found, and I should verify I have access to that location, or try to find the installation package 'openoffice401.msi in a folder from which I can install the product Open Office 4.0.1
Sorry I didn't include it in my earlier post. I've tried for several days to install this update, and had forgotten this was one of my first attempts.
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Hi again Plino, So absorbed with trying to get rid of the old installation I nearly forgot to thank you for your advice re the language packs.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Is Windows installed on your D: drive instead of the C: drive?
AOO 4.1.14 on Ubuntu MATE 22.04
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Hi Bill, yes it is. When I filled up the C drive, I just put another one in and started using that as my boot hard drive, so it went on that, the D drive. I've also got another spare / overflow hard drive, and tried installing it to that one; but the fault was always the same, referring me back to the original D drive installation that no longer exists. The computer seems to indicate that its not there, yet keeps telling me I have to go there, wherever 'there' is now. I don't know if there's a bit of the program hiding somewhere, not in plain view. I did use the search box for all my hard drives, but can't find it. I've previously used several versions of Open Offices without problem; until 4.0.1 when I had to do a clean install to get it to load. Doesn't seem to work though for 4.1.0?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Your version of AOO 4.0.1 did not uninstall completely. The Windows Installer is trying to uninstall it using the .msi file which has been deleted from your Desktop. Try reinstalling the exact same version of AOO 4.0.1 which you are trying to replace. If that's successful, then hopefully you can uninstall AOO 4.0.1 and install AOO 4.1.
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Hi Bill, Many thanks for your suggestion. I've managed to find the page to download the old file from and will try that. I didn't realise there were so many versions though. I will post again to let you know how I get on.
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

I've reinstalled the old 4.0.1 (en GB) version. The computer said it had successfully installed. I didn't try it out, try uninstalling it, or fiddle with it in any way.
I then tried to install the new version 4.1.0 (en GB).
And went back to square one, where it all went wrong to start with; giving me the same error message, popping up when the copying new files progress indicator is approx 9/10s of the way across the bar, instead of the 3/4 like last time. The message saying:
Error 1316. A network error occurred while attempting to read from the file 'D:\\WINDOWS\Installer\openoffice401.msi.'
I don't want to go through what happened last time. Is there a good way to uninstall the 4.0.1, and then do the 4.1.0 as a new installation? I'm open to suggestions at this point as to what I should do next, before I make matters worse again!
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Just a quick thought, I did have an English dictionary added on my previous install. Have I got to try and do that again. I hope not, because it was only installed with a lot of luck and very much trial and error!
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Some good news! 4.1.0 would not install, it wound itself back again, and I found that 4.0.1 which the computer said had successfully installed, was no longer working. I've reinstalled the 4.0.1 version again, and tried it this time. It works fine, including the GB spell checker. No dictionary installed. So at least it works. I can again open my documents which were locked; but just how does one upgrade to 4.1.0?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Run the installation for AOO 4.0.1 again and select the "Remove" option. If the uninstallation is successful, then install AOO 4.1.0.
Jezzer

Post by Jezzer »

Hi Bill, many thanks for your help; your advice was spot on. Reinstalling 4.0.1 and selecting the remove option from within the set up selections was the way to go. I was then able to install 4.1.0 without any problems. Now I've just got to work out how to show this issue as solved!
Flippin' fairy

Re: [Solved] Installation Problems - can't delete old instal

Post by Flippin' fairy »

We have had the same problem all this week. Can't access files or do anything. Our system is Windows 8.1pro 64-bit version & we did have AOO 4.0.1 but did the update to 4.1.0 & get the same pop up 'msi' message when trying to install the new version. We've been going round & round trying to delete within programs to uninstall the older version but the system won't let us, so we try installing the new version & get the 'msi' message. Have gone through administrator process, still nothing, have done the 'troubleshooting program' & still nothing. No we don't have an external hard drive like the OP. Have tried downloading earlier versions but same thing - can't uninstall old version & won't install new version with 'msi' message > we have been stuck with nothing all week which isn't good as I'm a club secretary. I've been trolling these pages for info & not getting anywhere.... help? :crazy:
OpenOffice 4.0.0 on Windows 8.1
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

It's not clear to me what you've actually tried. Did you try reinstalling AOO 4.0.1 and using the "Remove" option?
Flippin' fairy

Post by Flippin' fairy »

Yes we tried all versions, from the older 3. version to the same 4.0.1 version we had & then the new 4.1.0 - all came up with the same error message of 'Error 1316. A network error while attempting to read from file C:\windows\installer\openoffice4o1.msi because the version we used to have has been partially wiped from our pc during the upgrade to 4.1.0, so now we can't uninstall remnants of the 4.0.1 version we had previously & nor can we get any version to fully load > another version of AOO will download & unpack 75% but then the same error message.

Because we've got only remnants of the old 4.0.1 version, we can't uninstall it through programs & 'remove' option, can't repair either & all other versions can't install. Have done disk cleanups & registry cleanups - registry cleanup comes up with software error messages & repairs them but we still can't uninstall or do a fresh install. Have searched for the file of C:\windows\installer\openoffice401.msi but there's no trace of it to delete. Have repeated the processes over & over numerous time, plus also as administrator. Very much stuck in limbo without anything.
Flippin' fairy

Post by Flippin' fairy »

Have also checked the 'processes' tab with CTRL + Shift + ESC, went through all tabs & nothing for openoffice or soffice. Have also gone through dictionary area for 4.1.0 downloads & done downloads for (US) & (GB) versions within exe & still nothing will reinstall, same message Error 1316. A network error while attempting to read from file c:\windows\installer\openoffice401.msi > which is logic IF everything uninstalled, yet in controlpanel\programs\uninstall or change programs the open office 4.0.1 version that WON'T delete still registers as 343mb & v4.0.1.9714 > yet when I've done a search through files for anything open office there's nothing on the system.
Flippin' fairy

Post by Flippin' fairy »

Have run the Microsoft Troubleshooter program within Windows 8.1pro & yet again, states AOO4.0.1 is not compatible & that the issue has been sent to Microsoft, yet when we click on onto the link for Microsoft Community to see if anything similar has been reported > the link isn't current apparently & is no longer available (hmmm cough!). Have also gone to the AOO page to try reinstalling 4.0.1 again for the umpteenth time, most mirrors don't work, 2 bottom ones for Australia do but still won't open either. Tried the sdk kits, still nothing. :?
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Flippin' fairy wrote:Have run the Microsoft Troubleshooter program within Windows 8.1pro & yet again, states AOO4.0.1 is not compatible...
What file is giving you the "not compatible" message. I don't get that message on soffice.exe.
Flippin' fairy wrote:Have also gone to the AOO page to try reinstalling 4.0.1 again...
Do you mean that you tried downloading the install file again? Running the file from the mirror instead of downloading it and running on your computer may cause problems.
Flippin' fairy wrote:... most mirrors don't work...
Sounds like you have more problems than just uninstalling AOO 4.0.1 I've used several mirrors and never had a problem with downloading from any of them.
Flippin' fairy

Post by Flippin' fairy »

I give up > honestly I give up. I've just wasted $60AU downloading & registering for 'DriverUpdate' program with an hour long phone call to some service centre overseas in US, hasn't fixed anything, still the same error 1316 message, no help whatsoever. Even the service guy said it was Microsoft & AOO problem compatibility issue. This os system is 2 mths old.

This windows 8 os needs to be frisbee'd out the first window. Bye.
Bill
Volunteer

Post by Bill »

Flippin' fairy wrote:Even the service guy said it was Microsoft & AOO problem compatibility issue.
I find that hard to believe since I've been using AOO on Windows 8/8.1/8.1 update for 17 months with absolutely no sign of incompatibility.
rlegro

Post by rlegro »

The same danged "Error 1316" problem has my Win7 system totally screwed up. I've used and installed OpenOffice, LibreOffice and NeoOffice on various PCs and OSes for years without incident, but this error can't be overcome, and I've spent hours over several days trying everything suggested fix. I'm going to try going back to 4.0.1 -- if, like some others here, I can even make that happen. Version 4.1.0 installer totally blanked it before rolling back its own installation in a very repeatable sequence unaffected by any fixes I've attempted. If 4.0.1 can't be reinstalled in straightforward fashion, it'll be on to another office suite for me. No time to be fussing with this on work deadline.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Win7 and OpenSUSE, NeoOffice on Mac
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

The second posting in this thread offers a Microsoft fix
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... c631b0cbe8
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
rlegro

Post by rlegro »

Much sweating and swearing, but finally got rid of 4.0.1 and installed 4.1.0 successfully. It shouldn't be that hard. Still am not sure what the problem was.
OpenOffice 4.0.1 on Win7 and OpenSUSE, NeoOffice on Mac
Brian Westlake

Post by Brian Westlake »

This thread appears to be the primary source of received wisdom on this problem.

I am just confirming the solution.

In installing AOO 4.1.1 over 4.0.1, this error condition was triggered:

Code: Select all

Error 1316. The specified account already exists
And the installation rolled back.

The same error was encountered in un-installing AOO 4.0.1 via the control panel add & remove applications section ("Add/Remove Programs" on XP, "Program Features" on W7).

The solution, as previously cited, proved to be running the AOO 4.0.1 full installer and then choosing the remove option; it completed successfully.

Subsequently the installation of AOO 4.1.1 completed correctly.
OpenOffice 4.1.1 / Windows 7 SP1 x64
zarcom

Post by zarcom »

OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RusselB

Post by RusselB »

@zarcom The page you linked to brought up
We're sorry, but the diagnostic solution you have requested is not available at this time. Visit our solution center to find more fixes to common problems
OpenOffice 4.1.7, LibreOffice 7.0.1.2 on Windows 7 Pro, Ultimate & Windows 10 Home (2004)
If you believe your problem has been resolved, please go to your first post in this topic, click the Edit button and add [Solved] to the beginning of the Subject line.
thomasjk
Volunteer

Post by thomasjk »

The other option is to use Revo Uninstaller Free http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uni ... nload.html with its most aggressive settings.
Tom K.
Windows 10 Home version 1803 17134.165
LibreOffice 5.4.7.2
osrox

Post by osrox »

Hi,

I was earlier running 5.0.3.2 version, then installed the 5.2 Dev version.
Both showed as installed in Windows (which is strange, as it should have overwritten the 5.0.3.2)

Anyways,
Was getting some lags in usage, so uninstalled the 5.2 Dev.

So, only 5.0.3.2 showed as installed in Programs list.

I tried Installing latest stable 5.1.3. but got an error, that installation disk of 5.0.3.2 is missing, so installation failed.
1st error
1st error
2nd error
2nd error
Untitled 2.jpg (41.58 KiB) Viewed 67709 times
3rd error
3rd error
Untitled 3.jpg (34.98 KiB) Viewed 67709 times
Tried removing the 5.0.3.2, but still got error of "5.0.3.2 .msi" source file not found.

Finally, Used "Revo Uninstaller" to forcible remove all files, & registry entry of Libre Office, on my Windows 10 Laptop.
Restarted, Now, Libre Office 5.0.3.2 is not showing Programs list.

But Still unable to install the latest 5.1.3 & getting same error of "Insert the Libre Office 5.0.3.2 disk".
OpenOffice 3.1 on Windows Vista
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

I cannot answer for LibreOffice, but for OpenOffice in a similar situation we recommend re-installing the earlier version, then uninstalling it. The re-install repositions the uninstall files so that they can be found. An alternate way is to use Revo Uninstaller at its most aggressive to remove the earlier install. This then allows an install of a later version.

As you have already used Revo Uninstaller you may have to hand edit the Registry (very dangerous!) to find the path to the missing install files of the earlier version.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS