[Solved] Formula separator in LibreOffice

Help with installation and general system troubleshooting questions concerning the office suite LibreOffice.
kingfisher
Volunteer

[Solved] Formula separator in LibreOffice

Post by kingfisher »

Hello. I am unable to install AOO so I am experimenting with LO on another system.

One problem is that the following formula is displayed with a comma instead of a semi-colon. Perhaps needless to say, the formula doesn't work. If I edit the formula by changing the comma to a semi-colon, then press ENTER, the formula again displays with a comma and still doesn't work.

Code: Select all

=HYPERLINK("file:///data/sets/office/work/DataLog.ods";"Datalog")
The formula displays correctly and works in OpenOffice.
Last edited by kingfisher on Thu May 15, 2014 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.9 on Linux
B Marcelly
Volunteer

Re: Formula separator in LibreOffice

Post by B Marcelly »

Hello,
This option is specific to LibreOffice.
Attachments
Formula separators
Formula separators
Bernard

OpenOffice.org 1.1.5 / Apache OpenOffice 4.1.1 / LibreOffice 5.0.5
MS-Windows 7 Home SP1
RoryOF

Post by RoryOF »

kingfisher wrote:Hello. I am unable to install AOO so I am experimenting with LO on another system.
Any error message about installing OpenOffice?
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
gerard24
Volunteer

Post by gerard24 »

Hi,

As B. Marcelly said, Function and array column/row separator are locale dependant.
You can change this in options.

But I suspect that your problem is not related to separator or what formula display but following the Hyperlink.
If Ctrl+Click open your "Datalog" file, it is just a setting to change.

In recent versions of LibreOffice, setting "Ctrl+Click to follow hyperlink" also apply to Calc, not only Writer.
If you want to use simple click:
Menu Tools > Options > LibreOffice > Security, click on "Option" button and uncheck "Ctrl+click required to follow hyperlinks".
This box is checked by default.
Hyperlink.jpg
LibreOffice 6.4.5 on Windows 10
kingfisher
Volunteer

Post by kingfisher »

Thank you for the replies. I had looked at the Formula page in Options but somehow missed the relevant section.

The formula now displays correctly. I intended to post separately asking why the hyperlink still doesn't work but that question has been answered here as well.

@RoryOF : My first attempt to install AOO stalled. On the second attempt, there was an error message stating that /bin/sh is missing along with something with a four-letter name. /bin/sh is present ; it is a link to /bin/bash. I could not find in the package manager a package with the four letter name and the error message did NOT state where it is supposed to be.

In addition, the README file states that the system must have a package called glibc5. The package glibc5 is NOT in my distro's repositories ; glibc is installed. The distro does NOT support AOO.
RoryOF

Re: [SOLVED] Formula separator in LibreOffice

Post by RoryOF »

For those who wish to try OpenOffice on PCLinuxOS, there is a posting at
http://www.horneker.com/pclinuxos-addsoftware.html
on installing non repository software on that OS, which may be of assistance.

On earlier versions of PCLinuxOS there used be a special file to download and install OpenOffice in the Office directory. This is mentioned at
http://www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-d ... 010-kde-p4
Apache OpenOffice 4.1.15 on Xubuntu 22.04.4 LTS
kingfisher
Volunteer

Re: [Solved] Formula separator in LibreOffice

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks RoryOF. The second article is out of date and there is no script to install AOO. Before the fork the distro used the Novell version of OpenOffice which ( I believe ) is what became LibreOffice.

I have bookmarked the other article although, at first blush, the method outlined does not circumvent the need for dependencies.

In addition there is no tar ball for AOO. A request issue was posted about that lack ( with particular reference, IIRC, to distros such as Slack which use a tar ball ). The developers have turned a deaf ear to the request.